Menu

I need a new facial moisturizer

In the summer months, my face gets itchy and when I scratch it, my foundation comes off. I spent my adult life thinking the problem was my foundation but I've finally figured it out, the problem is my moisturizer. Last summer I didn't wear moisturizer and no itchiness! But with skin cancer running in the family, I'm not about to go without sunscreen on. So I need a new one. I've been using Aveeno, the one for mature skin. I need one that's lighter feeling on my face. This just feels heavy and we don't have the normal humidity yet!

The sunscreen needs to be either titanium dioxide or zinc oxide.

Alternately, has anyone found a moisturizer they like and simply added the sunscreen ingredients to it?

http://www.makingcosmetics.com/Sunscreens-c38/

I just don't know how well it would mix.

Could you just use a sunscreen during the day and then use a moisturiser at night?? Or pick foundation with sunscreen in it??

I use beautypedia.com for makeup and skincare reviews, click on Search All Reviews in the green bar, then click on Master Brand List. They say what type of sunscreen ingredients are used in products and they list ingredients too.

Eta, your reaction could be from an ingredient in the sunscreen, a reaction between sunscreen and foundation OR you could be sensitive to the titanium dioxide or zinc oxide.

Edited by awisha

How about a tinted, light moisturizer with SPF? I use this in the summer with just a brush of mineral powder over top and I love it. No shine unless I'm really working out and sweating!

http://www.paulaschoice.com/product/barely-there-sheer-matte-tint-spf-20/Complexion

The color selection is small, but I'm pretty sure that Paula is catering to people who are not tanning (and shouldn't be)! I think each "color" blends well enough that they'll work with a few different skin tones just fine. I have a light, but not quite fair, skin tone and use Sheer Ivory--it's perfect.

My cleaning ritual involves three products: cleanser, toner, moisturizer. No matter what brands I use, I always do those three steps.

Since 1975, I have mostly used Artistry (Amway's cosmetic line), with a couple of side-trips to Clinique, Jordan Essentials, and, um, something on-line that WTM members have mentioned a few times. I always come back to Artistry. Anyway, if I only wash my face and don't use toner before the moisturizer, my skin is too dry, and the moisturizer doesn't feel right somehow, which will make any make-up feel not-right, too.

I use Bobbi Brown tinted moisturizer, after dabbing on my eye cream. It is all I need in the warmer months, and it has sunscreen. It has a beautiful finish, very natural, and a little goes a long way.

I cleanse my skin quickly with a gentle wash first, just to refresh myself for daytime.

For moisturizer I use drugstore aloe gel and a small squirt of DHC Olive Virgin Oil, mixed together in my palm.

For sunscreen (after the moisturizer) I use Coppertone Sensitive SPF 50. It is a zinc oxide formula. It causes me no irritation or breaking out at all. It looks very white at first but that goes away after a few minutes.

I use Oil of Olay Complete for Sensitive Skin. It is only SPF 15, which is enough for my indoor lifestyle most of the time. I wear actual sunscreen when I am going outdoors.

I like it because it is light and doesn't sting my eyes when I (inevitably) rub them. I sometimes put it on twice a day when the air is drying, yet I never get a greasy buildup or feel slimy.

I recommend Eucerin Daily Protection SPF 30 Moisturizing Face Lotion. I have similar skin issues, I do some work with the Eucerin team, and I started using it last year, and it's been great. The SPF is a HUGE plus, and it's light enough to go on nicely under my makeup. I also LOVE that i can pick it up at the drugstore when I run out. Definitely recommend it!