Menu

Can you recommend a learn-to-draw curriculum?

Enough

I need one that is super, super basic- for kids who have little or no previous experience/skill in 'formal' drawing. By formal drawing, I mean being able to draw something on paper that looks the same as or similar to a real object.

Does this make sense? :tongue_smilie:

For the purposes of this curriculum, I'm not interested in artist/picture study or art appreciation or the like. I just want something that works on drawing skills.

A few months ago we purchased the Mark Kistler online drawing program through homeschool buyers co-op.

My dd6 loves, loves, loves it! You can choose any lesson you want, no particular order to follow. She just picks what she would like to try to draw, and sits down with her sketch book and pencil. We are very happy with this program.

A few months ago we purchased the Mark Kistler online drawing program through homeschool buyers co-op.

My dd6 loves, loves, loves it! You can choose any lesson you want, no particular order to follow. She just picks what she would like to try to draw, and sits down with her sketch book and pencil. We are very happy with this program.

:iagree:

All the same things Toni said.....except my dd is 8. :o

:iagree: We purchased this through HSBC and my 4 boys LOVE it! We have started with the mini-marshmallow lessons (which are the easiest). Their drawing skills have really improved in a short amount of time.

We are using Mark Kistler's Draw Squad this year and my children are enjoying it. It is more of a cartoonish drawing book, than "real" drawings, but they have learned a lot. It covers foreshortening, shading, surface, size, contour lines, overlapping, density, and shadows. We have used Drawing with Children in the past, which teaches more real drawings, but it was a lot more teacher intensive. This is a lot more fun!

We tried quite a few different programs over the years. Draw write now was used the most. I bought the whole set and we used it for reference-- what can we draw to go with this. We also have a stack of ed emberly books.

Our favorite is a subscription to Nature Friend magazine. Christian based. It has a wide range of activities inclunding science experiments. The most important thing is a drawing contest each month. My DD has entered faithfully each month since she was 5 and is a great artist. She gets published every few months which is the prize. There is a page with about 20 entries shown and their name with location. DS has been published a few times too. He likes that part.

The contest gives step by step directions for the entry. A materials list-- most of the time colored pencils will work. She just finished a lovely black and white of an elephant. My husband will scan it and send it off with her details. Last month it was a cardinal.

My daughter uses and loves the Mark Kistler online drawing lessons. He makes her laugh on the videos and inspires her to make her drawings look 3D through the use of line, shadow, light, perspective, and so on. At the moment, she is focusing on more fun/cartoony drawings, but I don't mind. She's still learning the skills. I'm very impressed with the drawings she's accomplished so far! He does also delve into some more realistic things.

I also like the book Drawing with Children. It will take you through the steps to help your child draw what they see instead of what they believe a shape to be.

Bruce McIntyre's Drawing Textbook. Covers the basics in a systematic way. We love Kistler, too, but and he covers the same stuff but I like the sequential-ness of McIntyre.

:iagree:

It's the exact same content, just presented differently. The Drawing Textbook is simple, sequential, thorough, goes further and deeper but more slowly. It's also significantly less expensive. I looove The Drawing Textbook. All my kids have learned to draw with it.

DD also loves Mark Kistler. I was afraid she would just draw what he does, but a couple of weeks ago she told me, "He really gives me good ideas. It's like he plants a seed for all these new drawings I want to make."

DH was watching one with her and realized he used to watch the guy on PBS years ago (DH is pushing 40). We tracked down some old episodes on YouTube, and his lessons are pretty much the same. It was hilarious.

:iagree: I also got it though the HSBC its $40 for a year.

We tried quite a few different programs over the years. Draw write now was used the most. I bought the whole set and we used it for reference-- what can we draw to go with this. We also have a stack of ed emberly books. .

Agreed. Draw Write Now will always have a place on my shelf, even though the kids are older now. We also love Barry Stebbing's curricula, we have done, I Can Do All Things, are doing Feed My Sheep with the dvds and high schooler is doing God and the History of Art.

:iagree:This is one of my kids' FAVORITE things we do each day. I'm really amazed at the results, and so are other people who have seen their drawings. It's so quick and painless, the kids just log in and choose a lesson (usually I require them to do the next one). They write the title on a fresh page in their sketchbook, and sometimes we repeat lessons that were trickier.

It's also a great thing for them to work on independently while you are teaching someone else!