Menu

I have to say that we never accomplish what I hope to accomplish over the summer. Between camps and swim team, unexpected invitations to play or to the pool, and general relaxation, it is never quite what I hope academically. My children do get a TON of reading done. We might read a few chapters from Life of Fred at bedtime. We do start schooling lightly about 1 week into August to get in the groove for the school year. And last year we started prep for our FLL season, which surely saved us a lot of time come fall. I do ramp up on household responsibilities bc there are no other excuses in summer :)

Brownie

We will be keeping up SOTW vol. 4. We are only on chap. 20 this week and want to finish it before fall. We usually keep it up pretty well during June, then slack off not doing much during July, then finish it up quickly in Aug, ready to start new history in Sept. I expect the same this year.

We do summer reading programs at the library, day camp one week, VBS at least one week, sometimes more, plus swimming lessons, and family vacations, and 3 family bday parties. over the course of June and July. We start back to full time school Aug. 1 or whatever day the first monday falls on. So we don't do any other curric usually. We might have a

I have to say that we never accomplish what I hope to accomplish over the summer. Between camps and swim team, unexpected invitations to play or to the pool, and general relaxation, it is never quite what I hope academically. My children do get a TON of reading done. We might read a few chapters from Life of Fred at bedtime. We do start schooling lightly about 1 week into August to get in the groove for the school year. And last year we started prep for our FLL season, which surely saved us a lot of time come fall. I do ramp up on household responsibilities bc there are no other excuses in summer :)

Brownie

This is us, too. I always think we'll get more done than we do.

I try to do math 2 times a week: same curriculum as during the school year. Math is a "just keep plugging along" kind of thing.

Everyday we have silent reading time. Everyone, myself included, sits down for 30 min+ and reads. This is pure enjoyment reading, I never assign books in the summer. I do that all year long, sometimes I just want them to remember books can be just for fun!:D We always participate in as many summer reading programs as I can find.

Plans for summer:

Relaxed state history using this book list and lots of field trips

DS10 asked for this little math book - he used to go through one of these every summer and I guess he's missed them! And he wants Mad Libs.

Besides those things, I'm hoping he'll keep up his writing efforts - journaling, creative writing, etc.

DD9 will be doing state history also, and maybe level 3 of the math linked above, plus continuing to work on phonics.

Edited by momto2Cs

I have to say that we never accomplish what I hope to accomplish over the summer.

I'm with Brownie on this one. I never seem to get anything done during summer but we are planning to do math (MUS), Composition during our 11 weeks of Review and Reinforce with Analytical Grammar using Meaningful Composition, and Spelling. I also plan to do a lot of reading during the summer too. This is for the 6th grader.

For the K going into 1st grader we will be doing math, hwt, and All About Reading over the summer. We also have MFW K that we will be using lightly for science stuff as we want this summer with him.

We do our regular year-round curricula, but do take off for various activities. What does change substantially are outside classes. We've had a full day of Tuesday classes for most of the year, but that ends by the beginning of May. Our science classes at the nature center also end in May. Those two things alone will make her schedule much lighter.;)

She'll have three weeks of camp this year---one art camp, one writing camp and one regular Girl Scout day camp--so that will be time off. We are often done with the bulk of our work by lunch or shortly thereafter, but I imagine we may do some switching up and work in the afternoon when it's too hot outside. Given that we've had no winter this year, I'm afraid we may pay for it in heat this summer. She's also hanging out more regularly with a girl in the neighborhood who is in public school, so that may impact things more this year than last.

I tried doing school in the summer once or twice. Mostly it resulted in all of us feeling completely burnt out and unmotivated by the time August came around. So, we don't do anything structured at all...even our Latin review is unplanned, hit or miss, random. If I remember, I quiz them on random things during car rides. Or we discuss books we're reading. Visiting family, friends, camping, and other non-academic pursuits make up our summer. The dreaded brain drain reverses itself in a few days when we start back up again!

My plan is to do Life of Fred Decimals/Fractions/Percents w/ds & LoF Pre-Algebra w/dd. We MUST get in the GEMS guides I bought a year or 2 ago & I'd like to do some additional experiments as well, but I don't think my kids will view the science stuff as "school." I'm also planning to continue with a read-aloud or two & with recitation/memorization, plus I need to have the kids continue with writing throughout the summer. Now whether all of that will actually happen or not...

We usually continue with math and Latin over the summer. I'm not really sure if we'll get to anything at all this year, though. I just put all of our camps, vacations, etc. on the calendar, and we have a grand total of 2 weeks that we will all be home. :confused: I wanted to cry. It's good stuff, but I was hoping to just DO NOTHING for at least part of the summer.

Our usual pace through the summer is to continue on with what we are doing/move to the next thing but do it half pace. Mon and Wed is math and grammar, Tue and Thu are history and science. Friday is something fun but sort of enriching. And I consider a day swimming and picnicking enriching.:D

They also have an assigned reader. This still leaves us tons of time daily since most of their friends aren't up anyway. They do take the weeks they are at church and scout camp off of course. It keeps us in the groove without being overwhelming.

We keep plodding right through the summer with our regular curricula, in a steady 6 weeks on 1 week off pattern (if there are no visits from Grandma or summer camps causing bigger breaks in the middle). If they finish one book we start the next. Keeping this pace lets us take most of December off, and gives us more freedom to just drop days mid-year. Also, it prevents spending the first two months in fall reviewing what fell out of their brains over the summer.

Ds and I were just talking about this today. We have never schooled in the summer, but I think we will do a little this year. The only subject I am positive we will continue with is Saxon maybe 3x a week. We just started in to the 7/6 book and so far it is just so easy for him I would like to just keep plowing ahead.

We do various summer reading programs as well. Summer reading has always been a great memory for me!

I just put together an art appreciation program I plan to do over the summer. My oldest will continue spanish and ice skating. I'm thinking of having my youngest do LOF as a supplement this summer too. Reading always continues. I'll make a quilt or 2 and dd's have some arts/crafts projects they want to do as well.

We will keep the math going because we are already sort of behind on that subject for one of my children, but only a page or two a day...just something not to break the math momentum. We also continue our summer reading, but that is all. No writing, no official assignments for at least 6 weeks.

Now if the children want to pick up work and do it on their own, they can, but I'm not really responsible for checking in on them or grading work.

Besides that it's fun in the pool, outings, ice-cream, late mornings, cuddling in bed with mom lots!, and lots of movies. :)