Menu

Does anyone HATE MFW?

Momma4Boys

I am soooo tired of curriculum hopping. I was using TOG and it is just too much planning and I am honestly just too anal to tweek it the way I should...How do you feel about MFW? I want something chronological and laid out (ie easy to implement with 4 kids). Is it effective? fun? good for different learning styles (cause you know my 4 aren't the same...nnooooo, that would be too easy)...

I would love you feedback - either positive or negative...:confused:

I liked MFW in that I could combine a number of children. The only down side for me was that we had to make many library trips to add books to the book basket for readers and such. This is why I switched to Sonlight. Every book is included from history to readers. We also wanted to build a family library and were kinda sad to have to give the books back to the library! :)

Hate is a very strong word :) I don't hate MFW but I don't think that the program is necessarily as effective as they say it is for combining ages. We did to cycles of MFW (RtoR, and the next one, I can't remember the name). I thought it was wonderful as I could have my then 2nd, 3rd, and 7th graders all working together but the readings were either over my little guys heads so I would have to explain and explain for them OR not challenging my older child at his level at all.

Just my 2 cents :)

Hate is a very strong word :) I don't hate MFW but I don't think that the program is necessarily as effective as they say it is for combining ages. We did to cycles of MFW (RtoR, and the next one, I can't remember the name). I thought it was wonderful as I could have my then 2nd, 3rd, and 7th graders all working together but the readings were either over my little guys heads so I would have to explain and explain for them OR not challenging my older child at his level at all.

Just my 2 cents :)

My experience as well. I wouldn't say hate....but I disliked the program. It was not what I needed at the time....

I am enjoying Sonlight this year, but that is only because this core is "clicking". Sometimes, that happens. It is a perfect fit for us NOW. It wasn't in the past. Maybe MFW will "click" for you guys. Really, I can see it being nice for my 2 boys when dd is fully entrenched in High School level work.

Faithe

This is our first year using MFW but I have been in this homeschool thing for many, many moons. MFW is going to offer a curriculum with a schedule and a guide along with the books needed to get the job done (you will need Language and Math to add). I have used BJU, Abeka, SL, WP, Calvert, and a slew of other things and am finding WFW to be the easiest to use with the exception of Calvert. With that said MFW is not for everyone. My dd and I are absolutely loving it and will continue with it next year and probably more after that. It is chronological and fun. Lots of things to do but your day is over quickly also. Short lessons but big impact. I am not using it with multiple children so can not offer advice or comments on it for this. With all that said and as much as I love it with my dd, my ds would not enjoy this at all. It is not his style. The everything meshing together would drive him bonkers. He likes each subject to be an entity on its own.

I tried TOG, MFW, Weaver (many years ago), KONOS, Christian Cottage, and probably forgetting a few (Hiding with embarrassment!). I am using Biblioplan now and I love the read aloud and reading selections. I was not sure about the spines, but my boys are loving SOTW. I like that the activities come separately so if we don't want to do them or want to plan something else we are not leaving boxes "un-checked"! :tongue_smilie: We started with the third year. I wanted something I could use with all 3 boys. It looks like the best fit for us.

Pam

I am soooo tired of curriculum hopping. I was using TOG and it is just too much planning and I am honestly just too anal to tweek it the way I should...How do you feel about MFW? I want something chronological and laid out (ie easy to implement with 4 kids). Is it effective? fun? good for different learning styles (cause you know my 4 aren't the same...nnooooo, that would be too easy)...

I understand the pain of curriculum switching! I try to find the one that fits the best and modify where necessary. I, personally, did not care for MFW. It did not click for us. Good luck!

I used Adventures in MFW a couple years ago, and my kids LOVED it. I personally ordered a lot of book basket books off of amazon so I didn't have to rely on the library. I would definitely use MFW again. I have also used TOG, and liked it. I like MFW more because I like the student pages that comes with it, the planned out tm, and it just seemed more age appropriate for my dc. HOD is great too, :D. I think the biggest thing is to just make a decision for that year, and then make it work. It is unlikely that you will ever love a curriculum 100%.

Edited by Guest

... my boys are loving SOTW. I like that the activities come separately so if we don't want to do them or want to plan something else we are not leaving boxes "un-checked"! :tongue_smilie:

I had this prob w/ our MFW attempt. I felt like we just weren't getting the fullest experience unless we did every.single.item.listed. And that didn't often happen. (We've only tried MFWK and made it 1/2 the year before we bailed.)

Now, I do love how MFW plans out history (no formal in K & 1 and "drive-by" U.S. and world geography in 2nd & 3rd before beginning the 4 yr cycle); I probably will take this format and adapt it for ourselves (may or may not use their curriculum though).

I think the thing to do is to really think and pray about your goals and priorities for YOUR school, and then try to find the curriculum that most closely meets those. No curriculum will do it completely, but if you have 1 or 2 TOP, MOST IMPORTANT must-haves, and you find a curriculum that has them, ime everything else can be tweaked to work.

My top goals, when I was going through curriculum hopping anguish and decision making (started with mfw, went to tog, did our own thing, did lbc, then that wasn't working) were:

Christ-centered

Be able to teach my kids together for content areas

Those were non-negotiable, for me. Quickly followed up by:

Daily schedule

DO-ABLE hands-on/fun activities that did not overwhelm me and were not busywork

Plenty of great literature to enjoy

These could be tweaked on my part, but I'd prefer not to, if possible.

I found all those things in MFW. I like the daily schedule, but I don't mind changing it around if I need to when life happens. The hands-on are fun and relatively easy and there's not such a huge number that I feel completely overwhelmed. I can keep my kids together for history and science. The book basket lists have about 400 titles in them and we have a decent library system, so that works for us; I know some people prefer to pick specific titles for purchase and use booklists from SL or HOD or a million other places, over making weekly (I go about every 3 weeks, actually) library trips, and that works great too. I did something very similar to that the year I had a new baby, and it was perfect for us then.

For these reasons, MFW works great for us, but I think you just need to define exactly what it is you can't live without, and then what you would love, and then what you would like, but are willing to either live without or tweak. And then just pray and let the Lord lead you.

I wish you peace and blessings for your decision,

Just wanted to add one bit:

This is the time of year when I start to question every single homeschooling decision I have ever made or ever thought about making. I second- triple- and quadruple-guess every curriculum choice for every subject. I make myself insane. All of the questioning and guessing leads me to this board, which leads me to investigating other avenues, which leads to more guessing and questioning. The only way for me to get my head clear is to get away from here for a while, and go be quiet somewhere else and literally not even let myself think about it for a few days.

(And that was more for me than for you, I think. I must stop coming here!)

:D

MFW is not my favorite. I learned that my kids can't be combined! Well, I do combine them for some things, but history just didn't work. (We now will do the same type of history, but different resources.) I also didn't like some of the books that were used in CtG. We did enjoy adventures, but I did it with just one ds at the time. My oldest told me he isn't a fan of history (right now, hoping this will change in the future), so it didn't make sense buying a whole program that was focused around history. Wish he would have told me this before I bought the whole basic program!! :lol:

This is the time of year when I start to question every single homeschooling decision I have ever made or ever thought about making. I second- triple- and quadruple-guess every curriculum choice for every subject. I make myself insane. All of the questioning and guessing leads me to this board, which leads me to investigating other avenues, which leads to more guessing and questioning. The only way for me to get my head clear is to get away from here for a while, and go be quiet somewhere else and literally not even let myself think about it for a few days.

:lol: :iagree: You're not alone! :tongue_smilie:

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Here's the unpopular opinion: I just don't see how it can be sufficient for 7th-8th grade.

This has been our experience with it as well. Except we are using Creation to Greeks with my 7th grader. It just feels too light. I won't be using MFW next year.

This has been our experience with it as well. Except we are using Creation to Greeks with my 7th grader. It just feels too light. I won't be using MFW next year.

I'm curious if that feeling is with doing the monthly(or so) reports done from the Streams of Civilization book or without? I've thought for a long time that even though MFW mentions that in the intro, it gets forgotten. I almost forgot those when my 8th grader was doing. We did oral reports instead of written just because it was the year we moved and I thought "oh.. just give me report at dinner." :lol:

I know everyone is different. What's light for you, was just right for me...

but, if it would help anyone who is reading the thread and wondering what I'm talking about with the reports.. in the CTG and RTR manual, they say to beef it up for jr. highers with reports. take the topics from Streams of Civilization chapter headings (the book gives options each chapter)...

here is a schedule I did to help anyone if it is too light and having other ideas would help

http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=4775&start=25#p59996

I probably shouldn't be on this thread at all, because I've been able to make mfw work for my house... but for some reason I wanted to share about that jr. high report in CTG.... everyone is so different in what they need and their kids... it's all good, right?

-crystal

:iagree:

This is the first year in quite a few where I am actually satisfied....whether that is good or bad, I am not sure:D

My curricula finally feel like well worn jeans and the extras like new t-shirts:D

Loved your post on MFW, by the way.

Faithe

I'm curious if that feeling is with doing the monthly(or so) reports done from the Streams of Civilization book or without? I've thought for a long time that even though MFW mentions that in the intro, it gets forgotten. I almost forgot those when my 8th grader was doing. We did oral reports instead of written just because it was the year we moved and I thought "oh.. just give me report at dinner." :lol:

I know everyone is different. What's light for you, was just right for me...

-crystal

Hi Crystal,

We haven't been doing the reports. Apparently, I missed that in the introduction. We usually just do narrations.

To us, it's the reading that doesn't feel like enough. We haven't used the book basket much, but I've been told that one doesn't have to use it. I'm not crazy about relying on the library.

I think MFW is just not what I'm after and that's ok. I think it can be the perfect curriculum for another family. We're not that crazy about the spines. In fact we have dropped Streams. But even before we dropped it, it still didn't feel like enough. We added in the TQ Beginnings Guide and more Bible reading.

You're right that everyone is different. So I'm glad there are many options out there. :)

When I was combining all three of my girls in MFW elementary, I would have the oldest do extra reading, narrations, notebooking, and writing with titles from the Book Basket list. I also sometimes added higher level reading for her from Ambleside and other booklists on certain topics. This is all in keeping with the flexibility intended by Book Basket. Use it as time and interest allow, and if the library doesn't have a specific title that's on the list, find something else on the same topic. It worked well for us.

I think this idea was mentioned earlier, but if I didn't have a good library or didn't want to mess with it, I would buy books from HOD, SL, or somewhere else to keep in our home library to use in lieu of Book Basket. It's the same idea. I realized that the MFW police wouldn't come and arrest me if I bought books instead of using the library. :lol:

I'm still using MFW with my youngest, and I don't do the library nearly as much as I used to. This is partly because I've purchased books from HOD that work well with MFW, and partly because this child doesn't have the attention span or endurance with books that oldest dd had.

One thing that's really nice about the perceived "lightness" of MFW is that the core material is there for me, all scheduled nice and neat, and then I can either move things around on the grid as needed, add more books and videos (or not), pick and choose from the hands-on projects depending on the child and the amount of time we have, add more or less narrations, etc. There's a good bit of white space on the grid for math and LA, as well, so I can write in whatever I need to for those skills. IOW, while MFW has recommendations for math and LA, and sells those resources, it's very easy to plug in my own choices if I want to do something different.

Some weeks (and days) in MFW are fuller than others. I love that. I love having time here and there to "catch up". Or I can choose to insert my own topic-specific mini unit studies in between topics, or we can take breaks between topics (like when we moved last summer), or whatever.

I could do the planning for all this on my own, but why reinvent the wheel? I *LOVE* having MFW as my "spine". I've tried or heavily researched some other programs out there (as well as put together my own thing), and I always go back to MFW because it's efficient. Very easy (for me) to either tweak or just do the next thing on the grid, depending on the season that we're in, as well as the particular child with whom I'm working.

Plus, by continuing to use MFW as my "spine" rather than dumping it altogether and doing my own thing, I'm reassured that I'm getting the Bible integration that I want. This is the real heart of MFW. If I was looking at *just* the history portion (or even science, since Bible is a big part of science in K thru Adventures), then I could use just about anything else out there and not miss MFW. ;)

(That said, I think Expl-1850 and 1850-Mod are probably the easiest years to skip the Bible portion and not feel like I've missed something in the history and/or science portion. But every year up until then would seem pretty weak without the Bible lessons. IMO. :D )

I liked MFW in that I could combine a number of children. The only down side for me was that we had to make many library trips to add books to the book basket for readers and such. This is why I switched to Sonlight. Every book is included from history to readers. We also wanted to build a family library and were kinda sad to have to give the books back to the library! :)

:iagree:

We switched to SL for 1st after MFW K also. It was really nice having everything you need already in hand since SL sends everything you could possibly needm but it also costs about 2xs as much. We are a ways from the library, so that made MFW K a bit of a stretch to get books so often. However, after w/ SL we are seriously thinking of going back to MFK for 2nd. MFW is IMO very easy to omit/add and increase/decrease depth of subjects as you feel necessary for your family. They offered alot of hands on activities for K (IDK about higher grades, I think so) and the activities were fairly simple to do, most of them were quick - 10 mins, made the lesson it was linked to memorable for the kids, not labor intensive, and were using things you most probably had on hand. But yes the whole rounding up books was a minus. They both were pretty much open & go, taking into account you had your books and/or craft supplies. With SL alot of times, I go the glazed over look from my children. I think besides the books, the main difference is the Classical vs Charlotte Mason. I think it would benefit to find which style was the most beneficial for your 4. While SL is Classical, MFW is CM with a little Classical. I realize some maybe 1 way or the other, but try to narrow it done to the majority then work with that.

If your kids need hands on activities to concrete information, you want an open & go program, then seriously consider MFW if you can deal with the books. You may want to go through and decide which ones you'd like to use throughout the year and consider buying them used, that may end up cheaper than another program like SL that you buy the books. Or get a Nook to read some of the books on?

We switched to SL for 1st after MFW K also. It was really nice having everything you need already in hand since SL sends everything you could possibly needm but it also costs about 2xs as much. We are a ways from the library, so that made MFW K a bit of a stretch to get books so often. However, after w/ SL we are seriously thinking of going back to MFK for 2nd. MFW is IMO very easy to omit/add and increase/decrease depth of subjects as you feel necessary for your family. They offered alot of hands on activities for K (IDK about higher grades, I think so) and the activities were fairly simple to do, most of them were quick - 10 mins, made the lesson it was linked to memorable for the kids, not labor intensive, and were using things you most probably had on hand. But yes the whole rounding up books was a minus. They both were pretty much open & go, taking into account you had your books and/or craft supplies. With SL alot of times, I go the glazed over look from my children. I think besides the books, the main difference is the Classical vs Charlotte Mason. I think it would benefit to find which style was the most beneficial for your 4. While SL is Classical, MFW is CM with a little Classical. I realize some maybe 1 way or the other, but try to narrow it done to the majority then work with that.

If your kids need hands on activities to concrete information, you want an open & go program, then seriously consider MFW if you can deal with the books. You may want to go through and decide which ones you'd like to use throughout the year and consider buying them used, that may end up cheaper than another program like SL that you buy the books. Or get a Nook to read some of the books on?

FYI, did you know that MFW now sells a book package for Kindergarten? I really wish I had someone else to do that year with! The manual's been revamped, too. :001_smile: http://www.mfwbooks.com/inc/pdf/K_Sample/Kindergarten_2ndEdition_sample.pdf

I probably shouldn't be on this thread at all, because I've been able to make mfw work for my house... but for some reason I wanted to share about that jr. high report in CTG.... everyone is so different in what they need and their kids... it's all good, right?

-crystal

You should TOTALLY be on this thread - this is what I want/need to hear :D I want to from those who love it and those who didn't care for it and WHY. Thank you so much for posting!!

I love MFW but so far haven't been able to make it work here at Homeschooling6. I have owned every, single, program from the Pre-K, K, 1st and Grades 2-8. I did complete Adventures and ECC and part of K & 1st with some of my dc.

I still plan to use MFW for high school with Annette :blush:. Not sure about the boys, since what we are using now is working with them.

I still plan to use MFW for high school with Annette :blush:. Not sure about the boys, since what we are using now is working with them.

This is what I'm hoping to hear about. If we keep hs'ing through high school, I am very interested in MFW. I have been reading through this thread to see comments regarding one student at rhetoric level using MFW. I'd love to learn about what others think of it.

Anyone? :bigear:

Blessings,

Lucinda

This is what I'm hoping to hear about. If we keep hs'ing through high school, I am very interested in MFW. I have been reading through this thread to see comments regarding one student at rhetoric level using MFW. I'd love to learn about what others think of it.

Anyone? :bigear:

Blessings,

Lucinda

You might want to ask about high school on the high school forum... let me link you up with some current discussions. I've noticed that many of us using high school levels of MFW, aren't chatting much on K-8 forum as our children get older.... where does the time go?

There are several people on the high school forum using MFW. There's even a current thread on dislikes of it

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=353108

and same poster did a "tell me the likes"

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=353250

and a current thread on should I do AHL or do this on my own

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355273

and this was recent

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354459

I know I really really like the high school level. My only "gripe" has been that Notgrass book is light for my oldest. BUT, in the context of using it in MFW, it's not the only book done... so even that gripe is offset.

I like the writing level and amount in high school. the reading level has been good for my avid book reading kid... love the Bible reading --entire OT in ancient. entire NT and church history and worldview.

I know on high school forum, Melissa in CA, is really liking mfw in high school too.

-crystal

(That said, I think Expl-1850 and 1850-Mod are probably the easiest years to skip the Bible portion and not feel like I've missed something in the history and/or science portion. But every year up until then would seem pretty weak without the Bible lessons. IMO. :D )

Donna,

I agree on the EX1850 part. Bible is separated out. I know how they said it fit, but I don't think so. it's a challenge to memorize the book of James.

1850MOD... I had a different feeling on Bible. . oh. oh oh oh oh.. that was my favorite year in mfw, 1850MOD... I think it's my favorite. I don't know really. But that year - with the modern/20th century missions book, and the THUMB prayer, and the other parts of Bible... that was a special year for us. Everything felt so connected (well, at least in my experience.. mileage will vary..) I know next year I return to that program..

the original poster did say it was ok to mention positive experiences too, so...

*enjoyed the pre planned lessons for me. I could do it. but I don't wanna.

*library is not a problem for me. I go about every 3 weeks. I don't have the goal of getting every book on the list. I get enough.

*I feel like we get a balanced day with MFW to get a lot of subjects done and have time for unstructured learning. I guess that's the CM in me. and mfw feeds that need.

*I like that with notebooking my children get a lot of individual approach. My middle gal draws more. writes a bit more. and we can use Draw and Write Through History to help...

*it fit my oldest - rigor, lots of academics. (but I guess I'm the nut case on that... it worked for her)

*it fit my middle gal - not exactly blessed with strong mind. but she can use MFW and I adjust for her.

*youngest did really well in Kindy and 1st. I hope to fold her in next year. but I don't know. (she has autism and somehow all of this classical history stuff just doesn't seem important.)

there's so much good stuff on the market!

-crystal

the original poster did say it was ok to mention positive experiences too, so...

*enjoyed the pre planned lessons for me. I could do it. but I don't wanna.

*library is not a problem for me. I go about every 3 weeks. I don't have the goal of getting every book on the list. I get enough.

*I feel like we get a balanced day with MFW to get a lot of subjects done and have time for unstructured learning. I guess that's the CM in me. and mfw feeds that need.

*I like that with notebooking my children get a lot of individual approach. My middle gal draws more. writes a bit more. and we can use Draw and Write Through History to help...

*it fit my oldest - rigor, lots of academics. (but I guess I'm the nut case on that... it worked for her)

*it fit my middle gal - not exactly blessed with strong mind. but she can use MFW and I adjust for her.

*youngest did really well in Kindy and 1st. I hope to fold her in next year. but I don't know. (she has autism and somehow all of this classical history stuff just doesn't seem important.)

there's so much good stuff on the market!

-crystal

Thanks Crystal - I am the original poster and this helped tremendously. I love what you said that I bolded up there! Made me laugh :lol: I feel the same way about TOG - I can do it...but I don't wanna...

I also have a soon to be 8th grader so I am desiring something that can carry him through HS effectively - thanks for your comments about that level (I have been also over on th HS board to check out stuff also).

You might want to ask about high school on the high school forum... let me link you up with some current discussions. I've noticed that many of us using high school levels of MFW, aren't chatting much on K-8 forum as our children get older.... where does the time go?

-crystal

Thank you, Crystal! This is very helpful. :001_smile:

Blessings,

Lucinda

Donna,

I agree on the EX1850 part. Bible is separated out. I know how they said it fit, but I don't think so. it's a challenge to memorize the book of James.

1850MOD... I had a different feeling on Bible. . oh. oh oh oh oh.. that was my favorite year in mfw, 1850MOD... I think it's my favorite. I don't know really. But that year - with the modern/20th century missions book, and the THUMB prayer, and the other parts of Bible... that was a special year for us. Everything felt so connected (well, at least in my experience.. mileage will vary..) I know next year I return to that program..

Oh yes, we loved the books used in 1850MOD! I think one could call it "Biblical Worldview" that year, so it does fit with history in that way. WHY does the Holocaust matter to us and how did it affect us here in America? kind of thing.

I confess we didn't do very well with memorizing the book of James from EX1850. :blushing: Even though there are two plans from which to choose, one for the whole book in its entirety, and one for just portions of it, I dropped the ball. Totally my fault. :tongue_smilie: The time we spent studying it was very good, though.

I'm doing the curriculum hopping in my mind! I simply can't decide between MFW & TOG. I'm leaning strongly toward MFW though just because of the planning involved with TOG.

Have you looked at any of the TOG planning threads? It really isn't that bad- the weeks are laid out already, all you need to do is choose what you want to do. I liken it to a menu, you aren't going to eat everything, just an appetizer, main dish and a dessert.

:iagree: It may be ok for K-3, but I found it to be very weak for anything above that grade level. I tried it for one year and had to do SO much supplementing, that it was really a joke. I won't ever use it again.

When reading my response keep in mind that MFW is all that we have ever used (but I have researched and reviewed a ton of others) and we have only been homeschooling for 2 years.

We really enjoy MFW. It is easy to use, but not so easy that I feel unnecessary. I, personally, enjoy planning and yet I appreciate the reassurance a boxed curriculum provides. I feel that MFW gives me the best of both worlds.

I LOVE the book selections and that I have the freedom to spend my money on the books that I choose rather than being forced to stick with certain ones. I always purchase what our budget allows and utilize the library to fill in the gaps. This has never been a problem for us because my girls love the library and I feel it is a great learning experience for them.

It is very easy to follow.

It is easy to supplement. I have always added various things from Ambleside/Simply Charlotte Mason. We also use FIAR and we added Singapore from the very beginning.

It is gentle and yet still fulfilling. My daughter hates to write so we have been very happy with the writing requirements so far. She doesn't feel overwhelmed, but is still challenged. Children who are more adept at writing may need supplementation in this area in the earlier years.

One thing I haven't cared for is the science portion. I don't really like the Usborne books that MFW utilizes, but I haven't bothered to supplement that area yet. I likely will in the future if still necessary.

I also really dissected the 1st grade curriculum, but that was mainly due to my own preferences and teaching philosophies. I don't feel that that particular year provided enough meat. I still used almost all of the materials, but I supplemented heavily and rearranged quite a bit.

I am planning to continue using MFW as long as it is a good fit for us. I was on the verge of switching to Sonlight for next year and changed my mind again at the last minute. MFW just feels right for us. I hope you are able to come to an equally satisfying and reassuring conclusion soon!

I love MFW but so far haven't been able to make it work here at Homeschooling6. I have owned every, single, program from the Pre-K, K, 1st and Grades 2-8. I did complete Adventures and ECC and part of K & 1st with some of my dc.

:001_smile: me too.....lol. I wanted it to work soooooooo bad. On paper, I love MFW. In practice, I suck at it.....I really think it is me.

Now, my plan for this year was a one year world Hx and then onto MFW high school for dd and C to G for the boys.....welp, I took the slow boat to China so to speak, And we are only finishing up Rome now.....so, how the heck do we do ancients again?? My kids would shoot me:glare:

So much for plans......

Faithe