Menu

Anyone not using reading programs??

We've been using BJU 3,4,5 etc.... Well, we are on our second year and my boys hate them. They hate the stories and workbook!

I'm just trying to decide if it's ok not use them? I've been assigning living books for them to read which they enjoy, but what about the workbook work? There are good phonics lessons in there. I'm just not sure that I should let that go?

Anyone else not using a reading program? Are you concerned or is it working out fine?

thanks!

I have never used a reading program.

I started by teaching my kids to read with 100EZ.

After that, I checked books out from the library which they could read aloud to me with some help and which were challenging to them. I find good books from the lists on Veritas Press, SonLight, and other places. I ask them basic comprehension questions after each section or chapter, and have them continue to practice sounding out new words. I have also used Elson, McGuffy, and Treadwell Readers which the kids and I like very much.

My kids have learned most of their phonics through doing our spelling program. (I use Spelling Power.) Upon completing 100 EZ, however, I checked out Phonics Pathways from the library and reviewed the phonics with them to see if there were any gaps.

As far as workbook work for phonics and reading comprehension, I have used Evan Moor's Skill Sharpener's Reading workbooks. I have the kids do one page per day. These have been good. I am looking at adding the Critical Thinking Co.'s Language Smarts workbooks as well.

For vocabulary, I have started with Worldly Wise 3000. I switch to Dynamic Literacy's WordBuild starting in 3rd grade.

Sometimes I use an online reading test to try to figure out which grade levels they are reading on.

This has been working very well. My kids test well on standardized tests and are at least two grade levels above in reading.

At your kids' ages, any phonics rules should come through spelling. Ditch the workbooks. I have a set of books my ds must read and we discuss when he's finished. He's in third grade so we alternate oral and written narration. I try to brush up on my knowledge so I can ask good questions. If you're concerned about reading comprehension, have them read a section aloud to you and quiz them.

:iagree: with everything said above. Anything my dd *hates* gets a second look from me, and I ask myself what is its purpose (what homeschooling goal is it helping us to achieve), and if there is another, non-hateful way of achieving this purpose. With reading, you've gotten a lot of great alternative suggestions. Last thing you want to do is turn reading into an unpleasant chore. Love of reading is a lifetime gift you can give your dc.

If you want to use a reading program, but want something less "workbook-y" you could look at Drawn into the Heart of Reading. http://www.heartofdakota.com/drawn-into.php

This reading program allows you to choose the books you want to use for each of the genres (like mystery, realistic fiction, non-fiction, humor, historical fiction, folk tale, adventure, etc.). There are book packs you can buy if you don't want to choose.

I'm using it now with my 4th and 2nd graders. They enjoy it much more than the Pathways reading program we've used in the past. They love that they are reading real books and not a reader.

It takes more of my time, but not a ton. There is written work only about 1/2 to 1/3 of the days, and it's much more thought provoking ... not just answering questions about facts in the story.

Hope that helps! :001_smile:

BTW, I do think it's fine to not do a reading program at all if that's what you'd prefer!

I vote ditch the workbooks.

Once we finished OPGTR, our plan switched to reading real books. My guys each have a book to read with me (he reads a page then I read a page for 20-30 minutes a day) and then they each have another book to read independently for 30-45 minutes a day and, if they choose, at bedtime.

While reading out loud to me, we can work on fluency and comprehension. And after their solo time, I ask what's been happening in the book and they give me an informal narration.

I've never actually looked at a real reading program, but I think this plan is effective for developing independent readers.

:iagree:

This is only our 2nd year of homeschooling, but we ditched our workbooks last January. I give my 3rd grader an assigned book for the week, and we discuss. I also have him read aloud to me for 10-15 minutes a few times per week. He also has his self-selected reading which can run from pokemon books to his Lego magazine. It's totally his choice. My goal is for him to love reading :)

I used a program for older ds, because his brain seemed to work that way. Younger ds was basically a no way phonics kind of kid. He's learning to read by just........reading. :)

btw, my sig is not updated. we are not using Pathway workbooks, though ds does like the readers. We've moved on to picture books these days, though.

I never used vocabulary-controlled basal readers and workbooks with my dc. They just read from good trade books (books you'd find in the library or at a bookstore). Older dd knew how to read when I brought her home (Easter break of first grade); younger dd learned to read with Spalding.