Menu

Would you move or stay?

We just got our lease renewal form today. Rent is about to go up about $150/month. We are in a townhouse with no garage or yard. We intended to be in this place only 1 year. May will make 3 years we have been here. :glare: If we could move back south, we would be gone in a heartbeat, but DH's job is here, so here we stay. I have done some looking online and we could rent a house for about what we are paying in rent now. I just don't know if it would be worth the time/money/hassle of moving, especially since out ultimate goal is to move far away (which may not happen for years).

Here's my list of pros/cons. What would you do?

Pros (moving to a new place)

Have a yard

Have a garage

Not have to pay for a storage unit (could put stuff in garage)

Rent will stay about the same

More space

Might be able to get my big freezer out of storage :)

Getting out at the end of the lease, so no penalty fee (would be huge)

Cons (stay where we are)

Would have to pay large deposit

Pay to transfer utilities

Dh would have to do yard work (would have to buy a mower, etc.)

Packing/moving

Would be further from Metro (dh takes to work and we take/pickup when we need the one vehicle for the day)

Maintenance here is very good

Bus stop is very close if we need it, but we usually only take 1-2 times/year

What would you do? I'm tempted to talk dh into going to look at some of the rentals I have found, even though they may not be available when we would want to move (mid-April to mid-May).

I'd move. I need a yard for the kids to get energy out in. Also as long as your DH doesn't mind it, the yard work isn't that bad in most situations. You could always get a push mower and have the kids help for their physical education! ;) lol

I think you should go look at some of the other rentals. If you find one you really like for a fair price, then move. Otherwise, don't. I'm pretty sure I would move though just to have more space, garage, etc. Yard work can be very therapeutic too.

:iagree:

We just went through this exact decision, and same rent increase. We called the leasing office and they reduced the rent(kept it the same). I would suggest asking for the increase to be dropped. We decided that the cost of moving would not be worth the time spent in another rental. YKWIM?

HTH!

I would keep my options open. Go see a few houses for rent. And call and ask for them to not increase that much. If you are able to get more space and a yard for the same price, they may nix the increase to keep a stable, good renter. Renting out properties is a crapshoot and they won't want to lose a good tenant and risk getting a bad one.

We move a lot....

Cons to a house you've not mentioned

*neighborhood, safe, unsafe/ neighbor problems

*water quality, does it change?

*utilities/energy efficiency (house vs. apt.)

*upkeep, though you've mentioned it...this changes drastically with a house

*mold issues in your area if there are any, be cautious on this

*street traffic / noise, would there be a change, good/bad?

*dating of appliances - ya, this is a big deal

We pay more now for everything being brand new and efficient, and that pays for the increase absolutely.

The space issue is a tough one, we deal with a smaller area which makes us keep less possessions, and I find myself constantly purging to keep things easy to live. Apartment living requires a lot of discipline in this area.

You mentioned the freezer. Freezer/Budget is a big area to look into...

Committing to a neighborhood and a house is a hard one, there is so much you don't know, and the funds are certainly different.

For us, and the way we live, the less strings the better. Apartment living has it's ups and downs, but for us, it's a better fit.

I certainly don't worry about some issues like, what if the landlord is upside down on the mortgage and goes into foreclosure? What if my landlord is a jerk and a half and nosy or careless about responding to upkeep/needs or sudden emergencies..(basement flooding, insurance, etc.)

Ah ya, insurance is an issue also with renting, we keep a policy now, but a house would require a total rehaul of that, there might be something there you want to think over twice as well, there could be some money involved.

Move In/ Move Out fees- carpet cleaning, repainting, etc. All contracts are different...we are always mentally prepared to lose our deposit due to make believe whatever as it can happen.

Losing a deposit on a house vs. an apartment can be a biggie too. That's not money in the bank.

Amenities, we have a clubhouse, workout facility, pool, etc. if we want to use them. I'm too dang busy to fool with a yard.

You hadn't mentioned pets, but those can be a huge deal breaker in what you are available for...

Proximity to shopping, and schools should the bottom fall out suddenly is something to think about also, it happens.

It sounds like you have a lot more material items to move than we do, we could move in three hours flat if pressed and be out of here.

You may have to furnish a house with drapes and more, is there an expense there?

Our last move was due to the unhygienic winds bringing in rather vicious spiders, there was nothing which anyone could do. The spiders here carry a certain strain of MRSA which landed our family in the hospital continuously, it was a major mental stress.

We are having a wind storm again today and was just counting my lucky stars again as we are on the third floor now. I haven't seen one in a long, long time thank God.

The security of the job market here is like living through an all day earthquake, and I don't know how that applies to your situation, but it never really hurts to stop and think of what to do and what it would take for plan B to go into effect if there was a sudden stop.

Good luck with it, it's a hard one. :)

This year our rent went up $155 per month. We thought about moving, but between moving costs, having to come up with new deposits before old one were refunded, etc. we decided it wasn't worth it as we knew we would probably have to move within a year or two.

I think if you are only going to be there for another 2 years then stay. Anything more than 2 or 3 years, move.