Menu

Would you just go back to Pre-Algebra?

DawnM

I really don't know what to do. We use TT.

My 8th grader CAN do Algebra with some help from DH. However, DH has precious little time to really sit and help him. Dh tells me 8th grader just doesn't want to do it himself but is capable if he spends some time thinking about it.

However, 8th grader says that isn't true and that he needs Dh's help or he can't do it.

Dh doesn't really care what I do, but he has no time now until April 15th to do anything.

Would you just get ds the Pre-Algebra and let him do that for a while?

The other thought is to make him watch 15-20 min. a day of Khan Academy Algebra videos per day from now until April 15th and see if he can understand it better on his own.

This is a child with some LDs although they have never been in math.

I cannot help him. I did take Algebra in 9th grade in 1980, let's just say, I am no help.

Dawn

He has not done Pre-Algebra. He assured me he could do Algebra and so we go that instead.

:confused:

It is called prealgebra because you need to do it BEFORE algebra in order to be successful. In fact, without proficiency in prealgebra, the student is doomed to fail algebra miserably.

If your son has not had prealgebra, he needs to do that first. No wonder he can't do algebra without help if he does not have the prerequisites.

Go back and do prealgebra.

It is called prealgebra because you need to do it BEFORE algebra in order to be successful. In fact, without proficiency in prealgebra, the student is doomed to fail algebra miserably.

If your son has not had prealgebra, he needs to do that first. No wonder he can't do algebra without help if he does not have the prerequisites.

:iagree:

But I also think it is a mistake to assume that a child with LDs (even if his LDs aren't specifically in math) will be able to learn without help from a real person.

I would disagree. Pre-algebra is a year of skills that focus on putting together operations. It isn't needed, but it is helpful. There is no real math called pre-algebra. It's just a hodgepodge.

I will say that if a student isn't understanding the algebra lessons or handling the transfer to more abstract thought then yes, prealgebra would be very helpful. We're tackling this right now, in fact. I bought Hands On Equations (just the books/manipulatives) and the difference in his thinking process is just amazing already. It takes the abstract and brings it back to concrete.

Is he doing TT alg. 1 version 2.0? What lesson is he on? What are his grades for TT so far? What did he use before TT algebra?

All these questions factor into how to proceed. It may mean simply going back and repeating what he's already done to cement the types of problems he doesn't know.

:iagree: Dd 8th is on her 2nd year of pre-algebra this year because of this reason. She just didn't get it last year. I could never skip a kid from math 6 or 7 straight to Algebra 1.

I have to disagree with the poster who said pre-algebra is not a prerequisite. Its a bridge from arithmetic to algebra. Its to hard for *most* kids to jump from on side of the bridge to the other without walking across the bridge (pre-algebra)

I would disagree. Pre-algebra is a year of skills that focus on putting together operations. It isn't needed, but it is helpful. There is no real math called pre-algebra. It's just a hodgepodge.

That may be - but the skills that make up prealgebra (arithmetic with fractions, decimals, percent, positive and negative, and exponents) are definitely necessary to do algebra. Whether they are acquired as part of a course that is labeled "prealgebra" or as part of a course that is called "math" is completely irrelevant - but acquired they must be.

That may be - but the skills that make up prealgebra (arithmetic with fractions, decimals, percent, positive and negative, and exponents) are definitely necessary to do algebra. Whether they are acquired as part of a course that is labeled "prealgebra" or as part of a course that is called "math" is completely irrelevant - but acquired they must be.

I think he needs TT7 and TT Prealg as prep for TT Alg 1.

I will say that if a student isn't understanding the algebra lessons or handling the transfer to more abstract thought then yes, prealgebra would be very helpful. We're tackling this right now, in fact. I bought Hands On Equations (just the books/manipulatives) and the difference in his thinking process is just amazing already. It takes the abstract and brings it back to concrete.

Every student is different. Some need that intermediate step, while others are simply ready to move on.

Edited by SuperDad

He took the placement tests from TT and placed in Algebra. I had him do the Pre-Algebra samples and he said, "These are too easy" and got 100% on all of them.

So far he is on lesson 42 with Algebra and is getting somewhere around an 85%.

It is hard to know with him whether it is "I don't WANT to" or "I can't." He often gets frustrated and because he has Asperger's doesn't handle frustration well. That is a big part of this IMO.

Dawn

:iagree: Some kids can handle algebra without prealgebra but usually prealgebra sets the stage. I think you have your answer, put him in prealg.

He took the placement tests from TT and placed in Algebra. I had him do the Pre-Algebra samples and he said, "These are too easy" and got 100% on all of them.

It is hard to know with him whether it is "I don't WANT to" or "I can't." He often gets frustrated and because he has Asperger's doesn't handle frustration well. That is a big part of this IMO.

Dawn

He definitely doesn't need to take prealgebra if he scored 100% on the placement test. I'd back up and have him redo the trouble lessons in algebra. That's what I did with DD this year in algebra. If she scored less than 90% we'd back up and go over the lesson (or even supplement with online stuff) before proceeding.

Dawn

Dawn, the beauty of TT is that you can delete entire lessons. (I know from experience :).) I would have him go back and start TT Alg 1 over from the beginning with supplementation from Khan Academy.