Menu

Random poll: Bangs or no bangs?

Bangs or no bangs?  

1. 1. Bangs or no bangs?

• Yes! Cut them!
    • No, don't cut them!
    • Other (please explain)

Here is me with bangs, and without bangs.

With bangs, I think I look better. Idk, I just like it better. Maybe becuase it's been the norm for a really long time? However, they are a pain. Now that I wear my glasses most of the time, they sit on them funny and end up winging out all weird, even if I straighten them. :glare: I don't really like them any shorter than that - I feel like if they are shorter they make my face look rounder and that they aren't flattering at all.

Without bangs, I kind of feel like I look sort of weird. The picture without bangs isn't great anyway, but Idk if the lack of them ages me or makes me look bigger? (I need to be a little smaller, but that's a work in progress ;) ) But it is easier to take care of my hair without them. I don't know if I should just try to keep them about where they are (hitting my cheekbones, where I can push them behind my ears if I need to) and trim them accordingly?

And when I cut my hair (when it gets long enough to donate) I'm going to put lots of blonde highlights in it with a few little strips of blue...idk if that will make any difference in what I want to do with bangs or not...

I can't decide. Help!

ETA: I added another pic later in the thread (on like, page 3?) of me without the hair pulled straight back on top...

Edited by PeacefulChaos

You look better with the bangs. I probably would as well but I really cannot stand having the hair in my eyes and face like that. I guess it depends on which matters more to you.

ETA: I do have layers with the shortest layer being just long enough to tuck behind my ears so about cheek level. I have curly hair so I usually leave it curly the first day I wash it and then curl with a curling iron the second day and then leave with the looser relaxed curls the third day. I do have longer hair and it is parted in the middle which hubby doesn't particularly care for but I can't train it to change. It just falls in the middle and it is uncomfortable if I try to change it. Way back in the '80s I had shorter hair that was feathered on the sides and the top was shorter because it was styled back from the face some. I really only see that style on older women now but I still think it looks good and it is a good compromise between the bangs/no bangs issue. It's what I typically think of as female politician or real estate agent hair.

Edited by KidsHappen

I love both photos, but I think I like the photo with bangs best. I wonder, though, whether longer bangs might be easier for you to manage? I've had bangs nearly all my life, and just recently have grown them longer, and they're so much easier to manage. I also quite like that I can see my forehead now too:tongue_smilie:.

Best wishes

Cassy

I voted other. I think you'd look good with longer bangs, hair parted on the side, layers around the face. The layers around the face help to make the face look slimmer. (I have this issue. I'm not heavy, but my face is kinda round.)

I think the issue with the without bangs picture is that having your hair pulled straight back like that isn't particularly flattering. It's the same effect as having your hair parted in the middle and falling straight down both sides. A few folks can pull that look off, but not many, IMO. (And I'm not one of them.)

You have a pretty face, and I like the bangs look, but I think you should try the hair parted on the side and see how that goes.

I voted other. I think you'd look good with longer bangs, hair parted on the side, layers around the face. The layers around the face help to make the face look slimmer. (I have this issue. I'm not heavy, but my face is kinda round.)

You have a pretty face, and I like the bangs look, but I think you should try the hair parted on the side and see how that goes.

:iagree:And I love the idea of adding a couple of blue streaks.

Your bangs are cute! My hair is way too curly for bangs.

My hair is curly too, especially the bangs. I use straighteners on the bangs, nowhere else, just the bangs. They mostly stay straight for the two or three days until I wash it again, and so far straightening doesn't seem to have done any damage. (Now the bangs are longer they no longer look too bad curly either).

Cassy

I voted no, but mostly from a misery loves company standpoint. I'm trying to grow my bangs out; not really sure why, but needing a change. I probably look better with bangs. I'm just trying to get to the "tuck behind the ears" stage--I think I'll keep them somewhere between cheek and chin length.

I agree with a pp that a different 'do will make the bangless look work better--side part, some layers. That's what I'm aiming for too. I can tell you that if you cut bangs and then want them long again, it's kind of a painful process. Mine are constantly in my eyes and I come up with some pretty dippy hairdos to keep them out of my face. Can't wait until I can tuck them behind my ears, but apparently my bangs grow extremely slowly. Maybe by fall!

Hope you find something you're happy with.

I think the issue with the without bangs picture is that having your hair pulled straight back like that isn't particularly flattering. It's the same effect as having your hair parted in the middle and falling straight down both sides. A few folks can pull that look off, but not many, IMO. (And I'm not one of them.)

:iagree:

I have a widow's peak and I look so much better with a side part. I cannot stand my hair on my face and it grows super-fast, so bangs are too much up keep for me. Try the longer layers with a side part first, then you can cut the bangs if you don't like it.

See that's what I wonder....what do I do with the bangs once I have them? I had bangs in the 80s. We teased and curled then. So now what? :D

Big Hair was fun, wasn't it? :D

I have been debating the bangs/no bangs thing, too. I finally grew mine out so they are the same length as the rest of my hair, but then I saw my driver's license photo (:eek:) and I had long, side-swept bangs in that picture... and I'm pretty sure I look better with the bangs.

And if my driver's license photo looks prettier than I do in real life, I think there may be a bigger problem than bangs/no bangs at hand here. :tongue_smilie:

PS. I voted "cut the bangs" in the poll.

My mom was able to pull off the no-bangs look. She was always super-slim, and her hair was pure white and sort of collar-length, all one length, and parted on the side, and she managed to look like an elegant older supermodel with it. Apparently the elegant supermodel look skips a generation or something. :glare:

Edited by Catwoman

I love the thought of the side part... can I train my hair to do that without driving myself crazy in the process? My hair always automatically parts straight down the middle. Bangs and all. :rolleyes:

This is me on an average day like today (without the bangs pulled straight back...but the face is pretty normal. :D )

Look at that little cuteness next to you! I could pinch his cheeks!

You can re-train your hair, but it's a PITB. And, weirdly, it kind of hurts at first ... not pain, just discomfort.

For me it did, anyhow, it's like my scalp was sensitive to my moving my part over.

You look adorable, and I'm sure you'll rock any hairstyle you end up going with. The key is to love it, and own it.

Get the bangs, and check with the stylist for the best bangs for you. There are so many options. The side sweeping/blending ones work pretty well with glasses.

I think bangs look better on most faces, but lots of women hate dealing with them. At my age, they're worth the fuss.;)

If you get a cut, post more pic's...bangs or no bangs.