Menu

Anyone else affected by the tornado in Branson, MO?

I got a text from a friend who is staying in Branson At 2 am. She wanted to make sure we were ok. We are about an hour outside of Branson and had a huge storm with tornado warnings. We had no idea Branson had already been hit when she was texting me. Her husband went out and said there is lots of distruction. Weird. They are staying there because they are moving here! We just moved here 5 months ago. Sheesh, welcome to Missouri!:tongue_smilie:

I first heard about it on Facebook, and have been checking typical news places here in St. Louis.

The Post Dispatch website has some news about Branson within an article about all of the destruction and power outages in the state. KSDK.com has several news clips about last nights storms, one of which focuses on Branson.

I think perhaps Branson wasn't a real standout because lots of places in Missouri, Kansas, and Illinois got hit. One person dead in the Ozarks, 3 dead in Illinois, state of emergency in Kansas.

Wow, I had no idea it was so widespread. It was quite a storm here half an hour east of Springfield. We had warnings just south of us. I am going to go see about how large it was.

Can anyone tell me, when does tornado season actually start?

Any time the weather starts getting warm. It could be February (as you found out), but March is more typical. It generally runs through May, but you could have a tornado any time of year in that part of the country if the conditions are right.

You'll learn to spot the warning signs.

Can anyone tell me, when does tornado season actually start?

There is no such thing as "tornado season". It can hit any time of the year the weather is favorable. It certainly was last night - the unseasonally warm moist air. Tornadoes in MO are most frequent in late Spring/early summer when the weather is most unstable - but we had tornadoes in December before.

Praying for all those who have been affected though!:grouphug:

One of the many reasons I am thankful for living in New England, the only thing that has ever affected us is some extra humidity and snow! No poisonous snakes, spiders, extreme heat for 100 consecutive days, no tornadoes, snow storms that left us stranded, and no tsunami's.

Hope you all are okay!!:grouphug:

There is no such thing as "tornado season". It can hit any time of the year the weather is favorable. It certainly was last night - the unseasonally warm moist air. Tornadoes in MO are most frequent in late Spring/early summer when the weather is most unstable - but we had tornadoes in December before.

Yeah, December can be interesting. In 2010, we had a heavy snowfall on Christmas Eve. A week later, on New Year's Eve, we were ducking under a restaurant table at lunch while a tornado flew overhead.

I can't remember what time the storm went through here last night, but in hindsight we should have gotten up and gone downstairs.

Yeah, December can be interesting. In 2010, we had a heavy snowfall on Christmas Eve. A week later, on New Year's Eve, we were ducking under a restaurant table at lunch while a tornado flew overhead.

I can't remember what time the storm went through here last night, but in hindsight we should have gotten up and gone downstairs.

I remember that, too. Seems like the past two years there's been one the week of New Years?:tongue_smilie:

:iagree:We have a tree down in our backyard that fell on part of our fence. We heard the storm, but didn't go downstairs. We probably should have, too.

I totally remember the New Years's Eve tornado in 2010. We left town in the morning with lovely weather, and by the time we got to our family's in IA, a tornado had hit.

If you don't like the weather in MO, just wait until tomorrow!