Menu

X post:Ds is Vitamin D deficient is 400IU really enough?

I had my ds10 take a blood test to check for a B12 deficiency. His doctor did a wide screen deficiency blood test. I got his results back today. She didn't find a deficiency in B12 but said that his Vitamin D results were less then 5.

She suggested that he take 400I.U. with Vitamin C. That seems like a rather low dose for such a big deficiency. She suggested that the whole family take D and C. I take 5000I.U. every day and have been giving ds one of my Vitamins once a week. I told her this and she basically didn't believe that he is actually taking them... that maybe he is spitting them out when I'm not looking. I know this is not the case.

I'm not really sure what to do about this. I picked up some chewable 400IU D3 and 500mg C with Rose Hip for him. I'm thinking that I should at least double the D3. I'm not really sure though. Any suggestions.

Oh we live in the NE so there is very little sunlight.

WHAT? Less than 5? That is seriously scary low. I was around 10 and had serious symptoms of burning joints and muscles. I had osteopenia at that level - a precursor to osteoporosis. I took (and am still taking) 10,000 iu a day. Get a second opinion. Calcium needs vitamin D for absorption so if his bones are compromised then he will need calcium supplementation.

Edited by Jean in Newcastle

I strongly doubt it will remedy a deficiency. At the very least ask for a retest so you can show your doctor levels are not improving.

Honestly, if his level is below 5 (if i'm thinking of the same scale that your doctor used; not sure what units you are dealing with here) and you are already supplementing, I'd consider seeing an endocrinologist. I believe there are a few people who have trouble with D even when supplementing in higher doses.

eta: if we are talking the same scale, I would be worried about the risk of Rickets, autoimmune issues, etc with levels that low. I'd also want to know why his level is so, so low. For those reasons I'd probably ask to see an endocrinologist.

Edited by Momof3littles

Our little guy was 5 points below normal on D3 (bottom of normal is 30 he was 25 type of thing - those are not specific numbers) His doctor put him on 2000 IU daily for two months and then has us rechecking.

Not saying what's right or not in your situation but that's where we're at with a low D3 so I'd think 400 will not be enough. He told us we really couldn't give him too much. Even 5000 for a short time would not harm him.

Edited by StillLearning

My DS's recent bloodwork showed he was low on D [i think it was at 20, normal starts at 30, if I read the report right] and my per rec'ed he take 2000IU once a day for 3 months and retest.

Which reminds me, we didn't do vitamins the last few days.

Just so you know, normal starts at 30 but goes all the way up to 100. I feel my best at 80. And I've heard other people say the same.

Just so you know, normal starts at 30 but goes all the way up to 100. I feel my best at 80. And I've heard other people say the same.

Yeah, in range (especially at the low end) isn't necessarily optimal for health. There's been some discussion about whether 30 should be the low end of normal or if it should be raised based off of the research coming out.

Yes, exactly, so I really need to give him that vitamin! :lol [laffing at myself cuz I STILL forgot even after my last post]

His ped. wants to repeat the blood draw in a couple months to see if it's back up.

Wait - is this what the OP meant? 5 points below normal? or an actual level of less than 5? Huge difference.

I called back and asked the nurse if the Dr. meant 5 points below normal or 5 because that's just what my dh asked. The nurse said that his level was 4 ng/mL. I voiced my concern about how low of a supplement she had suggested. Ds' doctor had said 400iu once a day. The nurse confirmed that was the dosage but we could safely double the dose if we would feel more comfortable. They will be retesting in 2 months.

I called back and asked the nurse if the Dr. meant 5 points below normal or 5 because that's just what my dh asked. The nurse said that his level was 4 ng/mL. I voiced my concern about how low of a supplement she had suggested. Ds' doctor had said 400iu once a day. The nurse confirmed that was the dosage but we could safely double the dose if we would feel more comfortable. They will be retesting in 2 months.

May I be obnoxious and urge you again to get a second opinion on treatment? That is extremely low. In children, such low numbers can cause rickets. In older adults like me, it is osteopenia, which I was treated for.

Look at this government link. There is a chart that shows you that numbers at your child's level puts them in danger of rickets. (Just so you know I have some basis for my concern.)

Edited by Jean in Newcastle

Taking 800iu of vitamin D is really a waste of everyone's time and money. It's not neary enough, and more importantly, WHY is it so low?

May I be obnoxious and urge you again to get a second opinion on treatment? That is extremely low. In children, such low numbers can cause rickets. In older adults like me, it is osteopenia, which I was treated for.

:iagree:

If his level is 4 ng/ml, he needs much more than 400 or even 800iu. When my then-1yo tested in the low 20's, we started her on 1000iu/day. She still takes 1000iu/day at 3yo and less than 40lbs. Her levels are within normal now, but we're working to get them up to a more healthy level (I'd prefer them over 60, and her ped is comfortable with that). I'd give a higher dosage, but I'd also be looking for a second opinion. 4ng/ml is seriously dangerously low, and it doesn't sound like anyone is taking it seriously.

Dh and I are working on getting ds in to see someone else but there is a long waiting list at most of the drs in our area. Dh is going to ask one of the drs at his work about their opinion. He works at a nursing home. Until we can get ds into see someone dh and I decided to give him the 400iu pills 4 times a day.

Thank you all for your advice.

No, 400I.U. will not be sufficient. Plenty of people live in the NE and don't have Vitamin D issues.

The problem is with his inability to property absorb/synthesize Vitamin D. I would do a lot of reading up on how to remedy. His low Vitamin D levels are a symptom of something else, not his lack of getting enough.

That does seem low. I have just been given my Vit D number--5.7, the lowest the doctor had ever seen. (!!!) She's got me on 3,000 IUs a day, is running further blood tests, and is referring me to an endocrinologist. I will probably take more than the 3K IUs--I'll probably take more like 5,000IUs until I see the endo.

So--it does seem low, even for a child, to be told to take only 400. I'd pursue another professional opinion on that one, just be sure.

I had my ds10 take a blood test to check for a B12 deficiency. His doctor did a wide screen deficiency blood test. I got his results back today. She didn't find a deficiency in B12 but said that his Vitamin D results were less then 5.

She suggested that he take 400I.U. with Vitamin C. That seems like a rather low dose for such a big deficiency. She suggested that the whole family take D and C. I take 5000I.U. every day and have been giving ds one of my Vitamins once a week. I told her this and she basically didn't believe that he is actually taking them... that maybe he is spitting them out when I'm not looking. I know this is not the case.

I'm not really sure what to do about this. I picked up some chewable 400IU D3 and 500mg C with Rose Hip for him. I'm thinking that I should at least double the D3. I'm not really sure though. Any suggestions.

Oh we live in the NE so there is very little sunlight.

No way. Our dd tested 23 in August and went on 2000IU a day.

Tested 22 in November and upped it to 5000IU a day.

Still not up yet. She does have Lyme but still, 400 isnt' enough to bring a low d up.

Drops are easier to take than pills.

They've come out with much higher dose gelcaps lately. Even Sam's carries 10000IU D3 now, and the gelcaps are teeny tiny. I'm sure the good vitamin brands probably have something even higher than what Sam's carries. If your child would be adverse to getting drops of coconut oil on the tongue (as *I* am), the gelcap might be easier. I've given the drops to my little kids, but I take the gelcaps myself. The kids like the drops. I just can't take the oily texture. :tongue_smilie: