Menu

Things I don't understand

I really enjoyed Madame Bovary. I saw her character as the epitome of someone suffering from Grass is Greener Syndrome. I took it as a lesson to appreciate what you have right now instead of always looking for something else to fulfill you.

Ok, well, I LIKED The Great Gatsby. So maybe I should read MB.

Dawn

I like Madam Bovary as a novel, but as a character she is sort of insipid and boring.

I like Madam Bovary and The Great Gatsby for the same reason. I like it when justice is more or less served at the end. This is why I do not like Great Expectations. :tongue_smilie:

I like a man who is secure in his masculinity and IMO a man has to be pretty darn secure to go striding about in a skirt.

My grandson wants a skirt and we just happen to be Irish so I have been seriously considering getting him a kilt. His parents are ok with the idea. He also wants a baby doll so I am on the look out for a reasonably priced anatomically correct doll. I bought him a pair of fuzzy, purple slippers for Christmas and one of my younger dds almost had a cow. :glare: He is three for goodness sakes. Way too young for someone to be swashing his developing security in his masculinity.

I read classics, but I must admit I take a Looong time to get through some of them. That is not because my intelligence isn't up to the task. It is because I have to fight the urge to throttle somebody, usually the main character, the author, or myself. When the book is done, it takes a tremendous amount of effort to forget it and regain my delusion that all is right with my world. :tongue_smilie: The bragging right doesn't seem worth the emotional toll.

Five years ago, I decided I would never again read a novel that had the word "Russian" anywhere in the description.

:lol::lol::lol: I feel the same way about some of the classics I've read. We had to read Bartelby the Scrivener this year for required reading and I not only got a headache from reading it because I was so stressed out, it actually went beyond a headache into actual nausea. I'd never had such a strong reaction to a story before as I had with that one. :ack2: I was flying to pieces on the inside while reading it.

:lol::lol::lol: I feel the same way about some of the classics I've read. We had to read Bartelby the Scrivener this year for required reading and I not only got a headache from reading it because I was so stressed out, it actually went beyond a headache into actual nausea. I'd never had such a strong reaction to a story before as I had with that one. :ack2: I was flying to pieces on the inside while reading it.

Seriously? I love Bartleby the Scrivener. I swear, when I finally snap, I'll pull a Bartleby and just keep repeating, "I prefer not to," all day long. I practically fantasize about it.:D:lol:

Seriously? I love Bartleby the Scrivener. I swear, when I finally snap, I'll pull a Bartleby and just keep repeating, "I prefer not to," all day long. I practically fantasize about it.:D:lol:

What?! hehehehehe What could you possibly love about that book?? I was turning red faced with Bartelby's "I prefer not to's" and the boss's inability to confront the situation. Oh my gosh! That book made me crazy!!!!! :willy_nilly:

I'm not gaga over kilts. I participate in the joke just for the sake of participating in a joke.

I haven't read Madame Bovary in a coon's age and can't remember if I hate her or not.

:iagree: with the former, other than the fact that it reminds me of Jamie from the Outlander series, who I have a crush on, even though he's fictional, as it's my favorite series ever, although the Gerard pics and the Russel pics some post here ARE pretty yummy too, :D , and I don't think I've EVER read the latter, I have to confess.

I really enjoyed Madame Bovary. I saw her character as the epitome of someone suffering from Grass is Greener Syndrome. I took it as a lesson to appreciate what you have right now instead of always looking for something else to fulfill you.

:iagree: I read it not too long ago, and what really stuck me was how easily she'd fit into modern American culture. Switch the pawnbroker's shop for some high-end department stores and credit cards, plop her in Anytown, USA, and the story works.

I liked Madame Bovary and thought the end served her right. I also loved Tartuffe. Despised The Awakening and nearly got kicked out of American Lit over that. (Seriously, the prof was going to bean me with the eraser!) I've got no strong feelings on kilts unless it's Burn's Day.

Same here. In fact, give me a man in riding boots and Wranglers any day over a guy in a kilt. :D

Oh yes :) With a gui-tar croonin' a tune. *sigh*

Nakia, come on... he isn't a young hottie :P But Sean isn't real hard on the eyes!

I hate the Great Gatsby myself. I have never head of Madame Bovary.

I think I covered it all... for now.

Why you all are so gaga over kilts.

Why you all seem to hate Madame Bovary.

Don't bother with the kilts. That is kind of a dead horse. But could we discuss what the problem is with Bovary? Its been ten years since I read it, but I quite liked it.

Well, I like Madame Bovary. I like Flaubert as a whole, actually.

As for kilts? Meh. They do nothing for me. Plaid belongs on flannel shirts, which belong on men... wearing nothing but. :D