Menu

Texting question -- keyboard vs. touch screen

If I'm used to texting on my Blackberry QWERTY keyboard (with two thumbs, click, click, click), will I be able to get used to a touchscreen? Or will I hate it? Can you use two thumbs on a touchscreen? Or only one finger? I use my phone for work, plus I type for a living, so don't want to get all messed up. But am thinking about getting a new phone.

I love my keyboard. I have a slider, so it's only out when I need it. I text often throughout the day and I just don't like the virtual keyboard that most phones have. I use my thumbs just like you do. The biggest change would be where all the function keys are located. It seems every brand has a different location. :glare:

HATED the touchscreen at first. I still miss my palpable keyboard but on my Droid X there are a couple of things that make it more comfortable.

1. Haptic feedback: You can set the levels of this; it's a brief vibration that indicates that your "keypress" has registered. Too much and it's distracting, so I turn it down so I can just barely feel it.

2. The many virtual keyboards that are out there in the market. The original "swype" keyboard is nice. The "swype" idea is a good one and worked well. I went with swiftkey (there's a free version in the market to try). It's a little invasive (if you want it to be most effective, you give it access to your facebook, text, twitter, contacts, and gmail so it can "learn" what you're in the process of typing) but it's a remarkable keyboard and often I only type 2 or 3 letters of a word before the proper word is displayed. And often, it predicts phrases for me - not just "standards" (i.e. salt > and > pepper) but phrases I use in my own correspondence (i.e. my address 23 > main > street) so it's just a matter of the right word appearing and I select it.

3. Voice recognition. The voice recognition in swiftkey is the real reason I love it. I can dictate into it, a paragraph of 3 or 4 sentences and it'll pick up almost everything. After dictating, I have to go through and clean it up but it only takes a few seconds; much better than having to type it on the phone.

So yeah, I miss my keyboard and its realness, but the virtual keyboard can be gotten used to.

I have the Swype feature on my touchscreen and I don't like it as much as I did my keyboard. The letter buttons are too small for my index finger and I often have to retype a word. My dd19 was able to do two thumbs because her phone is similar but her fingers are smaller than mine. Two thumbs is impossible for me now. My texting is so slow! I'm glad I don't text much, it's a nuisance to get the words out.

See if the phone store will let you try it out. The transition was easy for both of my daughters. I guess I'm too old school. :tongue_smilie:

... the Swype feature makes it a lot easier ...

I have the Swype feature ...

Using Swype is optional, right? I transcribe in abbreviations on a laptop for a living, and really don't want to have to use Swype since it will use a different method of typing than what I use for work. I don't want them to get conflicted in my head when I'm working.

I switched from a phone with a full keyboard to an iPhone. It took me a while to get used to it, but now I love it. It requires less effort, and the autocorrect can be pretty awesome.

My husband uses Swype, but you don't have to use it. It's completely optional. I think I have fewer errors using the iPhone keyboard than he does with Swype, though he loves it.

HATED the touchscreen at first. I still miss my palpable keyboard but on my Droid X there are a couple of things that make it more comfortable.

1. Haptic feedback: You can set the levels of this; it's a brief vibration that indicates that your "keypress" has registered. Too much and it's distracting, so I turn it down so I can just barely feel it.

2. The many virtual keyboards that are out there in the market. The original "swype" keyboard is nice. The "swype" idea is a good one and worked well. I went with swiftkey (there's a free version in the market to try). It's a little invasive (if you want it to be most effective, you give it access to your facebook, text, twitter, contacts, and gmail so it can "learn" what you're in the process of typing) but it's a remarkable keyboard and often I only type 2 or 3 letters of a word before the proper word is displayed. And often, it predicts phrases for me - not just "standards" (i.e. salt > and > pepper) but phrases I use in my own correspondence (i.e. my address 23 > main > street) so it's just a matter of the right word appearing and I select it.

3. Voice recognition. The voice recognition in swiftkey is the real reason I love it. I can dictate into it, a paragraph of 3 or 4 sentences and it'll pick up almost everything. After dictating, I have to go through and clean it up but it only takes a few seconds; much better than having to type it on the phone.

So yeah, I miss my keyboard and its realness, but the virtual keyboard can be gotten used to.

Thank you, this was very helpful. I will look into the phone I'm looking at to see what it offers in these regards.

The phone I had a few years ago had a slideout keyboard. It wasn't a touchscreen. When I upgraded to a Droid, I decided to go with one that was touchscreen with a slideout keyboard.

I found myself using the keyboard quite a bit at first since that was what I was accustomed to using. However, I gradually found myself using the touchscreen for texting more and more. Now, I probably never use the keyboard.

It took some time to transition, but it really is much more convenient and faster once you get used to it.

If I'm used to texting on my Blackberry QWERTY keyboard (with two thumbs, click, click, click), will I be able to get used to a touchscreen? Or will I hate it? Can you use two thumbs on a touchscreen? Or only one finger? I use my phone for work, plus I type for a living, so don't want to get all messed up. But am thinking about getting a new phone.

I hate the virtual keyboards. It is very difficult to get words correct. I'm sticking with my BlackBerry.

My husband is enjoying his iphone, but I can't make the switch.

Sounds like I need to get my hands on a touch screen to see if I like texting on it (or could get used to it). I text a lot for my job -- job offers come through and I have to reply by text. Sometimes it's first come first served, so I'm wanting to be able to text quickly. I'll try to try one out. I like my Blackberry quite a lot actually, but it's 3-4 years old and I've already replaced the roller ball several times so I don't know how much longer it will last. I don't need a lot of data/internet capability at all, just need to be able to get email.

Thanks for all your help!

I switched from a Blackberry to an iPhone about a year ago and I'd never go back - I love the touch screen. You can still use two thumbs. :001_smile:

Really? 'Cause it may sound silly, but this is kinda important to me. I transcribe/type 4-5 hours a day -- hard -- and my right arm/elbow/hand (dominant) can be pretty achy by the end of the day. I can have difficulty cutting vegies with this hand sometimes, for example. So having to use my right index finger for all my texting too really makes it seem like it wouldn't be good for my arm's general well being. I like the balance/rest that texting with two thumbs provides.

Thank you, this was very helpful. I will look into the phone I'm looking at to see what it offers in these regards.

I found out it doesn't have a haptic keyboard option. Will it be awful without that when I really do like the clicking of the keys? Maybe I could get used to it?

I had a BlackBerry and switched to an iPhone. I thought I would have to go with a slider for the keyboard, but a 60+ y.o. lady at my office said she thought the same thing, but now only uses the touch screen. I figured if she got the hang of the touch screen, then so could I. I type about the same as I did on the BB.

I text with a keyboard and I use a touch screen on an iPad. The main problem I have with the touch keyboard on the iPad is watching closely to make sure I don't get any wacky autocorrects. In a professional setting a bad autocorrect could be really damaging. Have you seen the website d*mnyouautocorrect.com? (Hilarious, but really raunchy.) That would give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

I don't know how the touch keyboard and auto correct would work with your brand of phone, but that's definitely something to look into.

Edited by Sara R

I *just* did the switch last week, from a Palm Pre with a slider keyboad, to an HTC Legend (Android, touchscreen). It took me a day to feel comfortable. I am not however using two thumbs. I guess I could, but I wasn't before, even with the Pre. It's weird because I use two thumbs on my son's cell phone since the keyboard is larger.

Anyway, it has very little impact on my speed. (and I type 80 WPM on a regular keyboard).

What will make an impact is the quality of the predictive text. Most phones can be trained. My poor HTC has to become bilingual French/English. It's already doing a pretty good job.

:bigear: I've been wondering the same thing. I adore my BlackBerry Curve, but ER has a Droid that he raves about, and my brother has the iPhone 4S and that one sounds great! I'm due for an upgrade, but I'm just not sure I want to give up my BlackBerry and it's real buttons for a virtual keyboard.

I have a BB Torch. Best of both worlds. Touchscreen and QWERTY. I had a Storm before and was used to the touchscreen. I use both about equally, depending on what I want to do.

ETA: Suggestion for you -- get Vlingo and you can voice text/type in most applications. I got it when BB was giving it away for free. I think the regular price is less than $10. It takes a bit of use for it to get used to your voice, but once it learns you, it's quite good.

Edited by Audrey

I could text at lightning speed with my old QWERTY keyboard. When I accidentally washed my phone, I had to get a new one and had the choice btwn a heavier/bulkier phone with a slide out keyboard AND touchpad or the LG Vortex with the touchpad, no keyboard. I chose the Vortex b/c it was smaller and more "feminine". I'm weird. I know. :D It took me a LONG time to get used to the touchscreen, even though I had used it on my iPod Touch for years. Swype was cool, but it wouldn't get my words right often enough. I'm getting better at the touchscreen but I soooo miss the QWERTY. I'm super-slow texting even now and I HATE that. But, I love my phone and have learned to deal with it. I had to fiddle with the autocorrect sensitivity a bit to get it where it wasn't constantly correcting every single word I typed. I still hate autocorrect...have sent several very odd texts b/c of autocorrect. :glare:

I prefer having the keyboard. The touch screen on the phone that I got for Christmas really slows me down and I find that I don't text as much as I did before. That may not be a bad thing...lol. I do have to share this though...I ended up turning off the auto correct feature. Occasionally I sub at the public schools, and I had texted a fellow homeschool mom to tell her we wouldn't be able to meet up because I planned on subbing. The auto correct feature changed it to sinning. So, I couldn't meet with her because I planned on sinning! We got a good laugh out of that one, but yes, I so prefer the keyboard.

Edited by twinmami01

I don't know if I mentioned it in my post earlier, but in the applications market, you can get SwiftKey, which can be set to use data from Facebook, Gmail, text messaging, contacts, etc. for their suggestions, making things MUCH easier.

I also can't say enough about their voice recognition.

I dictate several-sentence paragraphs into my phone and it gets it almost exactly right, with minor tweaking here and there. It saves me tons of keystrokes (err..."screen touches"?).