Menu

SOTW questions

blondeviolin

Did/Do you keep a history binder like recommended in TWTM?

What kind of Timeline do you like?

Is there a list of longer read-alouds besides what are mentioned in the AG? I have reviewed those, but I still need to go through TWTM.

Do you require memory work for history as well (as outlined in TWTM)?

Anything else you have to share? We'll be starting Ancients next year. :bigears:

Kinda sortof. We do notebooking. I have him draw a picture and write one sentence (we've worked up to this point - I didn't do this in first grade - I just wrote down narrations that year).

I'm not using one yet. I plan to let him do a timeline when he's in logic stage. Right now, it would be me doing it, and I think he'll learn more if he does it.

Is there a list of longer read-alouds besides what are mentioned in the AG? I have reviewed those, but I still need to go through TWTM.

You could probably pick some stuff from the Sonlight lists. I know there is a website out there that lists SL books per 4-year cycle. That might be helpful to you.

Our read-alouds aren't based on history at all. I use that time to do random good literature. We get plenty of library books listed in the AG, and DS reads those on his own. There are some longish books that would make good read-alouds, but they're not 300 page chapter books or anything.

No, I don't.

Anything else you have to share? We'll be starting Ancients next year.

Make sure you do the chicken mummy! :D:lol:

Yup, and it is a FULL 3" binder. We do narrations, put in pictures, mapping, hieroglyphics stamping, pictures of projects and field trips, etc. The kids love it and love looking back through it to remember what they've done.

Ditto Boscopup here. I plan to do a detailed timeline when we hit logic stage. Ds still has a very good mental idea of who came before whom.

Why would you need more? There is far more than we could ever do in the AG. It may not seem like it (I know I went overboard planning this part the first year), but really the books recommended are thick and I have to winnow down even from the AG.

No, I don't.

The Lift the Lid kits are really cool, and look up Farrar William's Roman bath idea - the kids still ask when we can do it again :D.

Sort of. We didn't finish last year, so I restructured our binders this year. I haven't put in photos of projects as yet. I do include the coloring pages we've done with narrations. My older two (both strong readers) also do 2-4 history narrations (with mom writing, them illustrating) each week.

Same as the others, this will be a much later thing we do.

We don't get through many of the long read alouds (we do some, although we've been working on The Bronze Bow since I don't know when. We all like it ... I'm just having a hard time getting going in the mornings), but my kids do independent reading from that list, and it is more than they can handle.

We do memory work from Hannah's HS Helps, I do need to update our list as we've changed some things (taken out dates, rephrased a couple of places, but it is still essentially her list)

Ancients is fun! Lots of stories :) Don't get too concerned about the ins and outs, but enjoy the stories ... particularly the ones that have influenced our culture (not discounting the others) but my kids loved the Odyssey, Trojan Horse, and Greek Mythology. We get to do Rome in two weeks, and I can't wait!

- Mummify a turkey (ours is wrapped in glue and cheesecloth - use another fabric - and in the cupboard over the refrigerator. My husband wants to bury it with other time-capsuley stuff to confuse future archeologists :lol:)

- The historical art in Artistic Pursuits K-3 Book 1 has been a great accompaniment, we're finishing making bas relief tomorrow!

Not yet! I have a section for History/Geography in her regular binder, which is way overstuffed so I may pull out history as she suggests.

I created my own Jewish book of centuries, since I plan to study Jewish history in parallel with secular history.

Not sure if this is what you mean, but I've found All Through the Ages a wonderful help, though not entirely comprehensive. It's a decent starting point for an Amazon or public library search.

Not yet? Can I say not yet? I'd like to... but not sure how we'd start.

You are not obligated to do all the projects. Some of them are actually kind of (shhhh) dumb, like (from what I've read) the wax-paper crown of Egypt. You can also just make stuff up, like create a cylinder seal when you're playing around with clay. Be creative, and realize kids learn perfectly well from books even without having to build every single thing they read about or dress in "real" chitons or eat ancient Egyptian food or whatever. Projects are interesting but also very time-consuming and don't necessarily reinforce learning any more than just reading & narration.

That said, I've read that you can do an apple-mummy experiment if you're squeamish about the chicken! You preserve a slice of apple in various different substances to see which keeps it "fresh" longer, I think. Ah, here we go!

Other thoughts:

We have especially enjoyed Famous Figures of Ancient Times. I also bought this timeline sticker pack, even though I make my own timeline figures (and it's easy!), because they're not expensive, and they go nicely into our book of centuries.

We also enjoy Magic Tree House books immensely. They don't always correspond to what we're learning in history, but when they do, it's delightful. As it happens, we just started Hour of the Olympics just as we are beginning the early Greek period. Nice!

I love how the kids become experts on these areas as we study them so intensely. However, I am also coming to realize that a year is a VERY long time. Very VERY long time. I feel like I've been stuck in Ancients-land forever.

Just to keep myself sane and balanced, if not for the kids, I'm also reading A Child's History of the World (the updated version) which takes a much quicker pace. I throw this in as occasional bedtime reading, no narrations, just for fun, and the kids, weirdly enough, love it. So while we are just starting Ancient Greece in SOTW, in CHOW (which we started in July), we are already past the Roman Empire and learning about European history. It helps me feel less "mired" in the deep, dark past. :-)))

If you didn't want to do CHOW, you could throw in anything, like Joy Hakim's History of Us, just to mix it up a bit, the same way we use LoF to liven up our math a bit.

Just a few thoughts!

Make sure you do the chicken mummy! :D:lol:

:iagree::iagree::D:D My kids loved Chickiehotep!

We just keep her narrations, maps, coloring and photos/narrations of projects in a section of a large 3 ring binder.

We have just now started some history read alouds in addition to literature ones. Though we have read a zillion supplemental picture books.My kids are enjoying both D'aulaire's Greek Myths and Black Ships Before Troy by Rosemary Sutcliff. Planning to read Detectives in Togas when we get to Rome.

Haven't done any memory work yet, but may do a list of Roman Emperors as suggested in TWTM.

No timeline here yet.

We are thoroughly enjoying SOTW!

I am not keeping a binder right now. Everything is being filed. I am going to take it all to the printer at the end of the year and have it spiral bound.

We are doing a timeline but not for the book (saving this for next go around). For now we have twine strung across the banister and dd puts a pic up with the date using clips. We have taken the pics down and play review games as well as her replacing them in the proper sequence. WHen the year is done I will make a pocket page for these to go into her book.

Is there a list of longer read-alouds besides what are mentioned in the AG?

I am using the suggestions in the Activity guide but at the library I will look for more. Our library is great so this is workable for me. I am also scanning used book stores, used book sales and ebay for books on upcoming subject matter.

Also do you require memory work for history as well (as outlined in TWTM)?

No, not at this age.Well not for history. She has poetry memorization and Bible verse memorization.

Think outside the box.There is more then one way to do some of the crafts. We have expanded some crafts too.

A warning, lots of people get stuck in Egypt. There is so much out there activity and craft wise that it is easy to never leave. Just remember you will visit it again.

We keep a binder for narrations, mapwork, and coloring pages or simple activities. The kids really do like looking back over their work.

We don't. Like PPs, we won't keep a timeline until the logic stage.

No, we do not.

We read one section/day in each chapter and then do a narration. So this usually takes 2 or 3 days a week for reading and narration. On the third or fourth day, we do map work and/or small activity. I try to keep it as simple as possible for the grammar stage. Sometimes we add in additional reading.

Anything else you have to share? We'll be starting Ancients next year. :bigears:

1. Yes

2. We haven't done a timeline yet.

3. There are other things mentioned in WTM

4. Yep. We did pharaohs (main ones) 1st semester, and are doing chinese dynasties 2nd semester.

I have to admit, we were hardcore on narration in the beginning. Now, not so much. :blush: We probably should do better, but my boys hated it. I think we're going to try to figure out a new way to do it, maybe not for every section? Idk...

Guest trainboy

I am new to classical and started my second grader on SOTW 1 ancients. I join it with Veritas Press History which has him memorize 32 key events for the year using a song to help. It also has a card to explain the event in more detail Veritas Press. Note: VP has a lot of Bible events mixed in with Egyptian history. We do the veritas press event card and read corresponding SOTW and Bible passages if there are any that week. He keeps a binder with the key notes on each week's event. I don't have the SOTW activity guide and it sounds like I need those maps! The onle problem with my plan is Veritas press ends with the fall of Egypt and SOTW goes much further so we will not finish in 4 years on this plan. Not sure how I am going to handle it. My son has already read all of SOTW 1 because he loves it. Veritas press also has a few literature units to go along with it. Have enjoyed those. We loved reading Tirzah with our study on the Exodus. If you are looking to supplement with reading just search your library or online for children's books on the historical event and see if anything grabs your attention.

Did/Do you keep a history binder like recommended in TWTM? Yes, and an L.A. one and a science one.

What kind of Timeline do you like? We do not have wallspace, so we do one in a spiral watercolor paint book. I found the idea from a poster here with a blog. We did not start this until 4th grade with SOTW4. I don't think it is even recommended in WTM until logic stage actually. But SOTW4 had the timeline pieces, so we do it.

Is there a list of longer read-alouds besides what are mentioned in the AG? I have reviewed those, but I still need to go through TWTM. I think there are some different ideas in WTM. I don't know about longer.

Do you require memory work for history as well (as outlined in TWTM)? Yes, but not as much. For yr 1 I had my dd who was 6 at the time begin learning the presidents instead of any ancient list. In yr2 I had her learn the kings of England as suggested, but we never did do the list of wars. In yr 3 I don't think we did a history list. We just continued practicing the kings and we did poetry and other things like the Declaration of Independence. In yr 4 we have been learning the presidents in entirety and the states. Next we will work on states with the capitals.

I will be back in ancients next year in the logic stage for my oldest and in grammar with my youngest. I haven't decided what we will do for memory work yet. I don't think I will have them memorize pharoahs. I am thinking about the books of the Bible instead.

The kids do have a binder for history and last year it was somewhat creative (History Pockets projects, draw and write, etc.). But, the kids got bored with all the cutting and coloring and such by the end of last year. So for this year, their history binder really only consists of the worksheets for SOTW2 and the occasional written summary (they only have to write a summary if they got less than 80% on the worksheet). Not terribly interesting but it's working for them.

Each kid also has a timeline book. They are 9x12 sketch books with the dates written on the tops of each page. (I did that part myself. It took forever but it was worth it.) The kids like adding pictures to their timeline books and often look back through them. My plan is to continue to add to these books throughout their studies for years to come so that by the time they finish middle school (maybe even high school), they'll have a wonderful keepsake of their homeschool history adventure.

Ok, my plan (that I haven't actually started yet):

I took the pages linked in this thread and printed them out. Then I put them in a huge 3 ring binder with the corresponding AG pages with them. So with each chapter, we'll read the section, I'll ask some questions, do the narration, have him draw/color a picture, color other pictures/map, do an activity, take a picture, etc. I won't do all of those for each chapter, but whatever I can come up with. Again, just the plan, but those pages sure are nice.