Menu

Timelines...does everyone do them?

table4five

I just can't get the timeline thing going.

First i get this great idea that I am going to do a scrapbook accordion style thingamabob, then I don't.

Then, we start the index card, stair stepping type timeline that you can put on your wall or door. The kids have 2 pictures up.

Next, I think,...fine, I will just buy a pre made timeline book, but I don't want to waste the money.

So, I am wondering what to do? I want to have some sort of visual display of events but just having a hard time making a decision. I know it's not good. I need to make up my mind. I'm in a funk.

Anything that works for your family that is fun and inexpensive?

We do use a timeline. I've bought these books for each of my children.

http://rainbowresource.com/product/sku/030982/f049c1a0073e1563d53f21dc

I encourage my kids to add to them while reading throughout the week, but that doesn't always happen so we take time on Friday to add dates from our history work that week.

Sometimes we play Perspectives. Here is a post about how I've tweaked the game a bit. http://missmoe-thesearethedaysofmylife.blogspot.com/2011/02/weekly-review-february-14-17-2010.html

I've also written a post about why we use timelines.

http://missmoe-thesearethedaysofmylife.blogspot.com/2011/08/why-timelines.html

Hope this helps. I've found time lines to help us make connections across all our subjects and year to year.

We made our own super simple timeline for American history. The kids just drew lines down the middles of regular sheets of paper. Then we labeled each one (1400's, 1500's, etc). As things come up, we add them to the timeline. We discuss how to figure out where it goes on the page ("So if the year 1800 is here and 1900 is here, where would 1850 be?").

I try to draw little pictures to go with the events, but I don't always. I'd like to start printing some pictures off to add to the timeline to make it a little more visual. But so far so good!

The best, most inexpensive and painless way I found was the $2.50 Book of Centuries by Tanglewood - http://tanglewoodeducation.com/BOC.htm

Ds contributed to it in 1st grade, but I believe it will be most beneficial next year in 4th as we study Early Modern Times.

A wise homeschooler told me once that children don't really start grasping timelines until they're 10 or so. Ds will be 9, but I think it will be fun.

I tried having a collection of cards for ds, but it took way too much time and not enough return for all the work. Ds writes better now too, so I believe this simple system will work instead of History Pockets when we do HO.

ETA: since ds likes to write on lined paper, I'm planning on simply cutting and pasting his lined paper sentences into these boxes.

Edited by sagira

We're not using one now and won't be anytime real soon, but I will have DS do one in logic stage. Note that I said I'll have DS do it - not me! ;)

I think my DS would understand it now (he's an abstract thinker), but he wouldn't be able to write stuff in on his own. By logic stage, he should be capable of writing a blurb on a timeline without my help.

We do timelines, and love them.

DS11 has the Pandia Press timeline in his history folder that he can do himself, and uses it for assignments.

DS8 makes poster board timelines very simply-- 3 boards with those ghost lines, so getting the lines straight and even is cake! Then tape them up to the wall. We write on them in magic marker, and he can see for himself just by looking how early the Egyptians were compared to the Latins, that Buddha and Confucius lived around the same time, and so on.

Use a timeline and a globe together, and all the back and forth with the Babylonians, Assyrians, Phoenicians, Egyptians, and everyone else in Mesopotamia makes more sense.

I'm not sure what people mean when they say grammar kids don't get timelines; timelines form a visual picture if you leave a separate line either by civilization, continent, or by concept (religion/men & women/art/science & invention...). Kids get pictures! A timeline is not at all abstract that way, even if it is all written in words; it is still visual, and shows you in a picture what you have been reading over months, like seeing a puzzle finally properly fitted together.

If you study history by time, you break up regions, which gets kids lost; if you study by region, time traveling can lose kids who have a hard time distinguishing yesterday from last week, let alone 500 from 2000 years ago. A picture representation shows things compared to each other, visually. That, kids get.

We've tried various types of timelines. The most recent was the one from Pandia Press. I'm not sure how people write all the events in the assignments on the timeline without it being a hard to read mess.

We are using History Odyssey Level II from Pandia Press, so I thought the Pandia Press timeline would be perfect. Trying to write the events listed in the timeline assignments resulted in much frustration and a confusing timeline. Maybe we're doing it incorrectly or DD just needs to write much smaller. :confused: :confused: :confused:

We decided that the timeline wasn't doing what it was intended to do, so I bought two timeline books. Not free, but they can be relatively inexpensive if you buy them used.

The first time we used the timeline books my daughter made comments on the chronology of certain events and expressed surprise. She then consulted other sources to both confirm the dates and deepen her understanding. Much better than struggling to write tiny letters on a timeline. One timeline book we use also includes maps and some pictures.

She also writes the most significant dates and events on note cards and we play a game to learn them. That's an inexpensive option.

Perspective: The Time Line Game has also been lots of fun.

http://www.perspectivethetimelinegame.com/

We use the History Odyssey one. The only thing is, you kind of need a lot of wall space for it (or you need to hole punch it, but I really love it on the wall). I type out dates and events and print them out on colored paper and we tape them to the time line. I've heard of people laminating their time line so as not to mess it up. I want mine messed up. I want pictures and notes and little odds and ends and details on there. I want it messy and random and interesting. :)

We recently took a break from our usual history and did an American Government study and we printed out all the Constitutional amendments and put them on the time line. I think it really gave my kids perspective that this document gets changed over time. And they were shocked at seeing the space between when the country was founded and women getting to vote. :)

I think it is important to USE a timeline but not necessarily to make one. I have a timeline at the top of my children's history notebook pages and they fill it in weekly, but I think they learn and retain just as much by simply referring frequently to our pre-made timeline.

We are really enjoying our new timeline from Master books.

http://www.christianbook.com/big-book-of-history/laura-welch/9780890516232/pd/516232

We've tried various types of timelines. The most recent was the one from Pandia Press. I'm not sure how people write all the events in the assignments on the timeline without it being a hard to read mess.

We are using History Odyssey Level II from Pandia Press, so I thought the Pandia Press timeline would be perfect. Trying to write the events listed in the timeline assignments resulted in much frustration and a confusing timeline. Maybe we're doing it incorrectly or DD just needs to write much smaller. :confused: :confused: :confused:

I have a Word file where I write in size ten font dates and events. Such as "1587 Mary, Queen of Scots, beheaded for treason". I just add to it when I have new stuff I want to add and print out only the last page. :) We cut out the little strips of paper and tape them on with scotch tape. The tape overlaps a lot when you have a bunch of events in one area but it's ok because it's clear. I decided early on that with the number of events I would like to put on the time line, there is no way I wanted us writing stuff.

We use the History Odyssey one. The only thing is, you kind of need a lot of wall space for it (or you need to hole punch it, but I really love it on the wall). I type out dates and events and print them out on colored paper and we tape them to the time line.

Is everything fitting?

The squares are 1.5 by 2 inches with 250 years of Men and Women or Wars and Conflicts, for example. How many events are you getting in a square? Some square call for over 6 events so far and we're not even finished with the year. :confused:

I have a Word file where I write in size ten font dates and events. Such as "1587 Mary, Queen of Scots, beheaded for treason". I just add to it when I have new stuff I want to add and print out only the last page. :) We cut out the little strips of paper and tape them on with scotch tape. The tape overlaps a lot when you have a bunch of events in one area but it's ok because it's clear. I decided early on that with the number of events I would like to put on the time line, there is no way I wanted us writing stuff.

I guess the typing, cutting and taping wouldn't be a benefit to us. The time is better spent looking at a detailed timeline with many events or even writing short summaries. Everyone is different, though. At least now I know an option to try if we try the timelines again. I bought the whole set, so who knows? ;)

...he can see for himself just by looking how early the Egyptians were compared to the Latins, that Buddha and Confucius lived around the same time, and so on.

Use a timeline and a globe together, and all the back and forth with the Babylonians, Assyrians, Phoenicians, Egyptians, and everyone else in Mesopotamia makes more sense.

A picture representation shows things compared to each other, visually. That, kids get.

:iagree:

My kids each started keeping their own timelines (just a long strip of wide paper across the wall, and a colour-code for five different areas as outlined in WTM) when they began Grade 5. *They* write things on it, and *they* tell me what other events were going on around the time of whatever they just wrote on the timeline. Then we can talk about it and how events might have affected other events. My kids would not have understood this, though, when they were younger than around 10 or so.

P.S. I also let them choose what to put on the timeline. For example, if I've assigned six pages of reading from the KF History Encyclopedia, I tell them to pick one two-page spread from their reading and write the dates *they* think are important (that way, *they* have to come up with a reason about why the particular date is important) on the timeline. In short, my kids are the ones doing the thinking and discerning, with me helping them along.

Edited by Colleen in NS

We have the Classical Education laminated ones up on our dining room walls. We frequently refer to them, and I am trying to get in the habit of using those post-it arrows to mark where books we read fall in time - just the name of book on the arrow. Helps my kids visually to see "when" a story happened!

Thinking seriously about having my ds10 do a Book of Centuries though! I thought I would keep it very simple by having him use one of those composition notebooks, put date ranges at the top, and then he can enter historical figures, scientific breakthroughs, and more.

:grouphug: I broke down and purchased a Bible timeline from CBD this year. I also bought a timeline book but the words were so tiny and my husband did not like it. I took it back to Books A Million.

I did also buy a clothesline with colored clothes pins on CBD and I have a place to hang it, this weekend to display art, timeline cards, etc. and plan to start on Middle ages on figures ( still looking for figures or may just make some with the kids)

I think it is good to wait until they can help and understand it a little better. It will help me to better grasp dates for sure. I was never a history buff until now.

Good luck!

Perfectionist OCD mom of 7 and one on the way. :001_smile:

I was considering the same timeline...do you know that they have a sticker pack to accompany the timeline?

http://www.classicaleducationresources.com/HOX9-History-Odyssey-Timeline-Stickers-PAN-HOX9.htm

I wonder if that would alleviate the space problem??

I was considering the same timeline...do you know that they have a sticker pack to accompany the timeline?

http://www.classicaleducationresources.com/HOX9-History-Odyssey-Timeline-Stickers-PAN-HOX9.htm

I wonder if that would alleviate the space problem??

Actually the stickers are part of the problem. The spaces are roughly 1.5 X 2 and the stickers are 1.5 X 1 inch. Better hope you don't need more than 2 in a square or 1 and much else.

Maybe we are just incompetent with timelines. :confused:

We adore our timeline books, though. :001_smile:

Actually the stickers are part of the problem. The spaces are roughly 1.5 X 2 and the stickers are 1.5 X 1 inch. Better hope you don't need more than 2 in a square or 1 and much else.

Maybe we are just incompetent with timelines. :confused:

We adore our timeline books, though. :001_smile:

Well, that's a bummer!!

*IF* I was designing a timeline, I'd darn well make sure the stickers I intend to sell with it fit. :001_huh:

I guess the typing, cutting and taping wouldn't be a benefit to us. The time is better spent looking at a detailed timeline with many events or even writing short summaries. Everyone is different, though. At least now I know an option to try if we try the timelines again. I bought the whole set, so who knows? ;)

I'm not sure what you mean by squares. I don't pay attention to the sections of the time line, we just put whatever we want on the time line wherever we want it. So the strips of paper are crossing more than one section.

ETA: [Ok I went over and looked and I see what you mean by the squares. Yeah, I completely ignore those. I am not using the History Odyssey curriculum but I wanted a time line and theirs seemed nice. It is nice and I've enjoyed having it, but I do not use it as intended. I use it how it works for us. :) ]

It really takes very little time. I type it up and print it out while they are doing independent work then I cut it out, they help me find where it goes and tape it on. They find it fun. :) That's why I keep it one file. I have the text formatted the way I want it at the right size.

I am not fond of the stickers but my kids like them. We have them kind of floating on the top row of the time line, some of them overlapping a bit. Most of our dates hang down below the date line in the middle of the time line. A few of the dates are above when we have too many in the same area. I'm really not too precious about it. The only reason I do the typing, printing and cutting is so that we can fit lots of things on our time line and so that it takes less time than writing things out. I can type things out a lot faster than anyone can write stuff by hand. :)

Edited by Mimm