Menu

When to be concerned...

Jess4879

DD8 has come to reading slowly. We started off with ETC and word families and then we tried McRuffy for a short spell (we both hated it) and then we switched to Sing Spell Read and Write. We did the K at a very quick pace for a refresher and then completed Level 1. Currently we are about 1/2 way through AAS Level 2 and working on ETC 4. Fluency has always been slower coming, but she is always showing improvement in all areas. She can decode pretty much any word, but sometimes needs a "hand-hold" or a reminder of what groups of letters "say".

She typically tests a year behind for reading level (currently at a 2.5, while in grade 3). Would this not be reasonable, though, considering she's still working on Level 2 and ETC book 4?

I don't want to be missing any warning signs and I definitely worry that I "messed her up" with my early-on jumping around with programs.

I read a comment the other day that said if a child isn't reading at grade level by Grade 3 that it is a sign of future trouble - and yes, it freaked me out. I just don't know if I consider her "grade 3" because that is what she does for other subjects, or if I consider her "grade 2" because that is what her teaching level is up to?

I'm in the same boat with my ds9 (just turned 9). He is reading on "maybe" a 2nd grade level (plodding slowly through the HOD Emerging Reader set, using ETC, WRTR, The Reading Lesson, etc....anything to improve his reading). I've always been concerned, only b/c he is the only one of my school aged children who ever had this much trouble reading. We have contemplated having him tested for dyslexia b/c he does show "some" signs (like not remembering words he just read). But, he IS progressing. This time last year he was barely reading CVC words (having trouble with CAT) and now he is reading 2nd grade material. For him, this is major progress. I've seen huge strides forward. If he were NOT progressing, I would be more concerned. As for your dd...I wish I knew what to tell you. I'm very leary of any sort of study or whatever that says if the child isn't reading at grade level by such and such a grade there will be problems? Says who? Ever since "No Child Left Behind" and "reading by 9", we have been made to fear that our children will be scarred for life if they are not reading at a certain level by a certain age. People can throw tomatoes if they want...yes there is a time for testing and a time for concern. I wish I could tell you what that "time" was. ;) I just know that one of the reason's I homeschool is b/c I will not force my child/ren to "fit" into some government-created, cookie-cutter, "mold" that was created to make our schools look like they are doing a better job than they are. Others will disagree. ANd that's ok. :D

Well when is her birthday? Is she just about to turn 9, or is she a barely 8? Like if she's a barely 8 with a fall birthday, maybe she really *could* stand to be considered a 2nd grader. But even with a 2nd grader at this age *I* would want to see some normal fluency, reading short chapter books comfortably, that sort of thing. People can disagree, and there's always two sides. The long and short though is that you can wait, realize you were missing something, and look back with regret.

My personal advice is to start with the easiest, simplest changes and start working through the list. One, every kid should have their eyes checked. Don't go to a regular optometrist, go to a developmental optometrist. You find them through COVD. It doesn't cost more for a regular eval, but they screen for a few extra things that can affect school work, especially reading and writing (convergence, focusing, that sort of thing). Just do it. It will take less than two weeks to get in and eliminates eyes as an issue. Even if she has been seen by a regular optometrist, still get her checked. If they find indications of problems, then they have a full developmental eval they can do and have ways to treat those things.

Next I'm checking to see if you're using an OG-style program. You have AAS, so you're good there. I taught my dd to read with SWR. I don't know if you know this about these programs, because Marie doesn't say it, but one of the tricks you do with an OG-style program is to put the words they have decoded and understand onto flashcards and drill them. Someone mentioned the Victory Drill book. If you don't like that (I've never used it), then literally just take her spelling words and put them on the cards. Oh duh, AAS comes with cards! Have you drilled her with them for reading? See that's where I like SWR for actually teaching reading, because the lists are grade leveled and get you through all the basics faster. But whatever, it is what it is. If you want a different list of words and no cash outlay, go to the library and get WRTR. Work through those words using your AAS manipulatives and rules. I LOVE the AAS manipulatives, and the rules and set-up are great. You can extend them to any list you want (Victory, WRTR, whatever). The flip side is that some kids with challenges are never going to get it with a fast program and need to slow down even more, say to Barton.

Here's the deal on evals. It can take several months to get in, and yes you could be seeing the indications that there are things you want to know about. I would do the eyes first, but yes realistically at some point you may want to do an eval. If she is really a 3rd grader by age, I would do the eval. The world does NOT END. This is not saying she's any different from what you already know her to be. All they do is QUANTIFY what you're seeing and explain it. It *can* be extremely helpful and change your world. It may change the way you're teaching some things. You may come out realizing there are a few extra things you need to work on in order to make her school time work better. That's information you WANT.

Now the easiest way to go about finding that information on an eval is to look for neuropsychs doing dyslexia evals or google the Scottish Rite in your area. The Scottish Rite is really interesting, because they will connect you with someone to do an eval and tutoring if needed. There will also be some dyslexia associations in your state if you google. That's how I found our neuropsych. The way I figure it, I would rather get that testing and be WRONG than not get the testing and miss something. The world will NOT end, and this does not have to be traumatic. It's just making sure.

But start with the eyes. Seriously. Sometimes that's all it is.

Edited by OhElizabeth

My personal advice is to start with the easiest, simplest changes and start working through the list. One, every kid should have their eyes checked. Don't go to a regular optometrist, go to a developmental optometrist. You find them through COVD. It doesn't cost more for a regular eval, but they screen for a few extra things that can affect school work, especially reading and writing (convergence, focusing, that sort of thing). Just do it. It will take less than two weeks to get in and eliminates eyes as an issue. Even if she has been seen by a regular optometrist, still get her checked. If they find indications of problems, then they have a full developmental eval they can do and have ways to treat those things.

There will also be some dyslexia associations in your state if you google. That's how I found our neuropsych. The way I figure it, I would rather get that testing and be WRONG than not get the testing and miss something. The world will NOT end, and this does not have to be traumatic. It's just making sure.

But start with the eyes. Seriously. Sometimes that's all it is.

We have had her eyes checked regularily, although not by a developmental optometrist - I will admit, this is the first I have ever heard of one! I will definitely check in to that.

I am not against testing at all. It actually hasn't crossed my mind. It is something to consider. Thank you!

Edited to add: She turned 8 in November. :)

Edited by Jess4879
TO add

I just know that one of the reason's I homeschool is b/c I will not force my child/ren to "fit" into some government-created, cookie-cutter, "mold" that was created to make our schools look like they are doing a better job than they are. Others will disagree. ANd that's ok. :D

I definitely feel blessed to be able to work with DD on this at her own pace! :)

We're in the same boat. I've begun assuming he needs to be taught as if he's dyslexic. It's helping. Using an index card with the corner notched has helped him track across the page. Having him read and re-read the same stories has helped with fluency.

He has had his eyes checked and wears a mild Rx.

we got this book: http://shop.scholastic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_25417_-1_10001_10002 and it has really helped DD with fluency. They have different age levels.

She typically tests a year behind for reading level (currently at a 2.5, while in grade 3)

Most children that turn 8 during the school year are considered 2nd graders around here. (My second grader is turning 8 this week.) So if she is working at 3rd grade level in everything else, maybe she is a little advanced in those subjects and on level with reading. I wouldn't worry if she is making steady progress and her eye check-up is ok. When my oldest was in 2nd grade, we began the year with him STRUGGLING through books like Frog and Toad. By the end of the year, he was reading the Chronicles of Narnia! Some kids struggle with catching on to reading (like my son) and there isn't any major issue (like dyslexia).

The schools in my state would consider her to be a second grader, so she's right on target. You can help build fluency by having her read super-easy books, or reread books that she is comfortable with. It's hard to read fluently when one is always struggling to decode the words. Ariel has made a lot of progress by alternating a more difficult book with one that's easy. She likes reading so much more when she can read fluently and quickly. Your daughter might be similar.

Most children that turn 8 during the school year are considered 2nd graders around here. (My second grader is turning 8 this week.) So if she is working at 3rd grade level in everything else, maybe she is a little advanced in those subjects and on level with reading. I wouldn't worry if she is making steady progress and her eye check-up is ok. When my oldest was in 2nd grade, we began the year with him STRUGGLING through books like Frog and Toad. By the end of the year, he was reading the Chronicles of Narnia! Some kids struggle with catching on to reading (like my son) and there isn't any major issue (like dyslexia).

:iagree: My DD's reading has really improved in the last 6 months, 8/2nd grade is a big year.

Well good, at least you have a couple easy leads to start with. Definitely look at her in light of 2nd grade norms and see where she's at. Those fall birthdays are sticky. You can call her a 2nd grader and teach her at any level. You get the sticky wickets when you call her 3rd grade but she struggles, kwim? My ds has a fall birthday, and I've decided we're just going to call him by the lower grade and be done with it. For myself (and this is just me), I would use a June or July cut-off with a boy and an August cut-off with a girl. November I'd definitely use the lower. If that alone is enough to solve your problem, that will be awesome! :)

We have had her eyes checked regularily, although not by a developmental optometrist - I will admit, this is the first I have ever heard of one! I will definitely check in to that.

I am not against testing at all. It actually hasn't crossed my mind. It is something to consider. Thank you!

She would be a 2nd grader in my state as well. But it might still be worth at least looking into www.covd.org to see if the symptoms fit. My ds was really helped by vision therapy.

Well good, at least you have a couple easy leads to start with. Definitely look at her in light of 2nd grade norms and see where she's at. Those fall birthdays are sticky. You can call her a 2nd grader and teach her at any level. You get the sticky wickets when you call her 3rd grade but she struggles, kwim? My ds has a fall birthday, and I've decided we're just going to call him by the lower grade and be done with it. For myself (and this is just me), I would use a June or July cut-off with a boy and an August cut-off with a girl. November I'd definitely use the lower. If that alone is enough to solve your problem, that will be awesome! :)

While she'd be a second grader here too, she's been receiving reading and phonics instruction since K from the original post. I'd be worried if it were me - I'd have her vision tested first and then see what that shows, if anything.

Being in 3rd and reading at a 2.5 level is not the end of the world - she may really just be a slow-to-emerge reader, and that's okay....if you opt to test her eyes, continue what you're doing now and get in lots and lots of reading practice. With my DS practice is what made the most difference in his fluency gains - we do 30-minutes read aloud in the morning and another 20-minutes before bed.

Well yeah... but when she takes the first step, the next and the next will happen. We could prognosticate a few things, but in reality all she has to do is take the first step. No, even my (insert a few labels) dd was reading better than that in 1st and 2nd grade. Yes I'd be concerned. I wouldn't even use AAS with that dc personally, because I don't think it's fast enough to teach reading. And when the developmental optometrist gets a hold of her, they may notice a few more things and refer her off to the neuropsych, etc. But it's just one step at a time. Or yeah, go whole hog and get it all at once. :)

BTW, for the op, if you're going to do standardized testing (which I HOPE you are, highly recommend), make a little effort and find someone to do the Woodcock Johnson III. It's not necessarily better than any other testing (Iowa, CAT, whatever), but it's something the psychs are used to. One day, in and out, gives you a lot of information fast. The reading comprehension part, in theory, has a couple flaws, but it would be a REALLY good way of giving you a fast snapshot of where she's actually at relative to her peers. You literally get the results the same day. Ours cost $75.

And yes, your dc is about to become a money pit. But do it. You'd rather have the information than not.

While she'd be a second grader here too, she's been receiving reading and phonics instruction since K from the original post.

Personally, I don't think that matters. You can instruct a kid in something all day long, but if they're not ready for it, they still won't be good at it. I started trying to instruct my dd in reading just before her fifth bday, but it made no difference, even though she was asking to learn back then. Eventually she got frustrated because, all her willingness aside, she was not ready. Now, in 2nd grade (May bday), she's a good reader...for a SECOND grader, lol.

(She was eventually dx with Asperger's, but no dyslexia or vision problems, and kids w/AS are all over the place wrt reading ability, just like typical kids, so I don't believe it's necessarily related.)

Edited by Snowfall

Uh actually you proved why it does matter. The fact that the dc *has* been taught with numerous reasonable phonics options for years and is *still* having trouble with basic things is indication that she probably has *some* kind of problem. Aspergers overlaps with ADHD on a tremendous number of symptoms (working memory, EF, etc. etc.), so the same things that caused your dd to struggle are the very things that can impact a lot of other kids with other labels. And the issue isn't whether the op will ever get her dc reading. Most likely she will. The issue is that it's time to figure out what else is going on.

DD8 has come to reading slowly. We started off with ETC and word families and then we tried McRuffy for a short spell (we both hated it) and then we switched to Sing Spell Read and Write. We did the K at a very quick pace for a refresher and then completed Level 1. Currently we are about 1/2 way through AAS Level 2 and working on ETC 4. Fluency has always been slower coming, but she is always showing improvement in all areas. She can decode pretty much any word, but sometimes needs a "hand-hold" or a reminder of what groups of letters "say".

She typically tests a year behind for reading level (currently at a 2.5, while in grade 3). Would this not be reasonable, though, considering she's still working on Level 2 and ETC book 4?

I don't want to be missing any warning signs and I definitely worry that I "messed her up" with my early-on jumping around with programs.

I read a comment the other day that said if a child isn't reading at grade level by Grade 3 that it is a sign of future trouble - and yes, it freaked me out. I just don't know if I consider her "grade 3" because that is what she does for other subjects, or if I consider her "grade 2" because that is what her teaching level is up to?

1) based on dob in other post consider her grade 2

2) do not freak out by the idea that if not at grade level by grade 3 disaster will ensue

3) OTOH the switching of programs suggests that reading IS hard for this particular child--harder apparently than other subjects. Having come to this knowledge the hard way, I would not advocate "wait and see", but would look into what is going on (if anything) and try to start getting help now. The niggling feeling that there may be something to be concerned about should not be discounted.

4) If as is suggested by her level in other subjects she is comparatively behind in reading there also comes a problem with finding material that is interesting--but at a readable level. And the gap between interest level and reading level can grow fast and cause yet more difficulties. (Our saving grace program in this regard was www.highnoonbooks.com--that is what worked for us--my sense is that it would be good for most children who can handle the content level. Others have found Spalding and other programs helpful. I suppose different things work for different children.) In any case, having erroneously accepted the "wait and see" approach from two different schools, we are now playing catch up--and it is not all that fun a game. (Writing, math word problems, and other subjects all do get impacted if reading is behind--and if the child is generally bright, there can be a lot of frustration and upset also as this starts to become evident--I think that is where the ideas about needing to be at grade level by 3rd arise.) You are not yet at what I'd call the behind or catch up stage (b/c I think 2nd sounds like the correct grade designation)--but it does look like a problem may be present, and this time, while you are not behind, is the perfect time to figure it out and deal with it.

Also this is interesting to me:

...We started off with ETC and word families and then we tried McRuffy for a short spell (we both hated it) and then we switched to Sing Spell Read and Write. We did the K at a very quick pace for a refresher and then completed Level 1. Currently we are about 1/2 way through AAS Level 2 and working on ETC 4. Fluency has always been slower coming, but she is always showing improvement in all areas. She can decode pretty much any word, but sometimes needs a "hand-hold" or a reminder of what groups of letters "say". ...

I'm not familiar with most of these programs. I can say that neither a whole word approach as was being used in my son's ps, nor a word family approach as was used at his private school worked for my son. He needed a mostly phonics plus high frequency approach, suited for dyslexics.

But what do you mean by that she needs help figuring out

what groups of letters "say"
--do you mean a phonics problem despite saying decoding is not a problem? Or do you mean that there is a comprehension of the meaning problem?

Just as a point of observation, are you drilling her on the phonograms using the AAS flashcards? And are the phonograms she's not recognizing with automaticity in reading phonograms she has not yet covered, or have you studied them?

We use the AAS as directed - so review, lesson, spelling with word tiles and then on paper. We also do Dolche sight word drills. She does still make the occassionaly mistake on a couple of these - like the word "now" for example. She will say "no' and then self-correct. We will spend extra time on these trouble words and she does master them.

Also this is interesting to me:

I'm not familiar with most of these programs. I can say that neither a whole word approach as was being used in my son's ps, nor a word family approach as was used at his private school worked for my son. He needed a mostly phonics plus high frequency approach, suited for dyslexics.

But what do you mean by that she needs help figuring out --do you mean a phonics problem despite saying decoding is not a problem? Or do you mean that there is a comprehension of the meaning problem?

Sorry for not being very clear. She will, for example, struggle with the "ow" combo in a word and need help to remember what sound the two letters make when they are together. She knows it's a blend - she doesn't say "aw" "w", but she will sometimes substitute in something else - like "oo"

I also find that the more decoding she does in a sentence, or a reading, the more she struggles and will make mistakes she wouldn't typically make if a word is in isolation.

I have the same situation with ds10...same reading issues that you are having. He was having trouble in ps so we pulled the boys out at the end of 2nd grade. Over the past year of reading on it and working with hiim I just had that "gut" feeling that he was/is dyslexic. We made little progress last year with fluency but he does have a good awareness of phonics in isolation. Ex...he knows that "ph" makes the "f" sound but when he came to it in a word he would have trouble recalling that info. Once I point it out he gets it most of the time. He will also say one word for another. He was reading yesterday and said "humans" when the word was "people".

Just recently I was able to get a free evaluation from the public school special ed dept. I actually met with them this morning to go over the results. All indications show that he is dyslexic in reading and math.

I just reccommend to listen to your "mommy gut" and do what you think is best.

FWIW I am using Recipe for Reading with him. I think lots of repetition is what he is going to need. We have been working on ending blends for a week. To work on fluency we are using the Christian Liberty Nature Reader (book 1). I like this series because it has very few pictures...less distraction for him. I took different colored highlighters and colored each syllable in a word a different color. I underlined blends and marked diagrahs. I also have him reread the passage 3/4 times. It makes for a colorful page but seems to be working great so far. By doing this he doesn't have to stop and think so much about the words. My thinking is to do less markings as we go along.

Good luck!

Cheryl

Ex...he knows that "ph" makes the "f" sound but when he came to it in a word he would have trouble recalling that info. Once I point it out he gets it most of the time. He will also say one word for another. He was reading yesterday and said "humans" when the word was "people".

Cheryl

This is exactly what my ds does! I have drilled the AAS phonograms like crazy and ds knows that "th" has a voiced and unvoiced sound, getting it perfect on every flashcard or spelling drill, but he will read "that" in context as "what" every time! It can be so frustrating!

To work on fluency we are using the Christian Liberty Nature Reader (book 1). I like this series because it has very few pictures...less distraction for him. I took different colored highlighters and colored each syllable in a word a different color. I underlined blends and marked diagrahs. I also have him reread the passage 3/4 times. It makes for a colorful page but seems to be working great so far. By doing this he doesn't have to stop and think so much about the words. My thinking is to do less markings as we go along.

Good luck!

Cheryl

We have this reader too! The kids really enjoy it! Good luck to you as well!

My understanding of the whole "dire outcomes for behind-readers in 3rd grade" thing is, pure and simple, that in public schools reading is not taught after 2nd-3rd grade. The point is that the kids who are behind, and then no longer instructed, will most often not magically teach themselves to read.

Maybe there is more to it than that, but that is my understanding.

He will also say one word for another. He was reading yesterday and said "humans" when the word was "people".

This is common for kids with dyslexia or vision processing problems. It's easier for these kids to rely on context to supply the word than to actually decode the word. My son was actually reading on a low 7th grade level in 7th grade--just a bit on the slow side--unless I put something like a test question (no context clues to rely on) or an unrelated list of words in front of him. The unrelated list of words was torturous for him--that was when I realized just how much he relied on context clues for reading (and was amazed by how successful he was with that method!)

It's one thing to know how to use a method (like knowing phonogram sounds and decoding) and it's another thing to make it 2nd nature for that child. One language therapist told me that it would take 3 years for some children to learn to say the sounds as they wrote (segmenting skills to use with copywork or dictation), which eventually leads into spelling by syllable and then by word and fluent writing. So even if you have worked on skills like that (and I had thought we'd done plenty!), it can take a l-o-n-g time for some kids who are wired differently to really master those skills. The long term payoff is worth it though, and I'm glad we kept pushing through with these types of exercises.

Merry :-)

We use the AAS as directed - so review, lesson, spelling with word tiles and then on paper. We also do Dolche sight word drills. She does still make the occassionaly mistake on a couple of these - like the word "now" for example. She will say "no' and then self-correct. We will spend extra time on these trouble words and she does master them.

Yes, it's time to get some evals. If there's not something like eyes getting in the way, then you may need a different program like Barton that slows it down and spends more time on each concept.