Menu

Why would O Pioneers! ever be on the challenged/banned book list?

I assume that she means the ALA's list of challenged and/or banned books. Most have been challenged rather than banned.

But the ALA doesn't challenge ... it keeps track of the challenges. I'm wondering who is unhappy with the book. I recall it as adultery punished, and a "feminist" heroine. Also, old W.C was a tribid.

But the ALA doesn't challenge ... it keeps track of the challenges. I'm wondering who is unhappy with the book. I recall it as adultery punished, and a "feminist" heroine. Also, old W.C was a tribid.

Sorry, I mean ala challenged list. I do know that WC was rumored to be a lesbian, dressed manly, & sometimes went by William, but what is a tribid?

Sorry, I mean ala challenged list. I do know that WC was rumored to be a lesbian, dressed manly, & sometimes went by William, but what is a tribid?

A rare word for lesbian which is not "searched for". Sorry, I forgot. It has been my word for it in conversation with close associates for years. I forgot.

I just read it. The whole book is really about a woman who takes over the family farm/acres when her father dies and goes on through the years and how she develops their farm. Pioneers in the beginning had a hard time making farming work and many left. This girl had the wits and strength about her to make into something productive.

A small part of the story includes a young neighbor woman who's a very cheerful, happy-go-lucky person, but is married to a man who is very serious and quite opposite of her. She falls in love with an old childhood friend. The husband finds them late one night in some trees and kills them both.

I personally thought it kind of an odd book. At least not very exciting. I probably like books better that go in depth in a short time period, rather than one that spans many years.

Because the plot inlcudes star-crossed lovers, infidelity, adultery, and an enraged husband. It does not end well.

Illicit love. Oh the impurity! :D

:D Right. Because one never sees these themes in, oh, I don't know, Shakespeare or even the Bible.

I just read it. The whole book is really about a woman who takes over the family farm/acres when her father dies and goes on through the years and how she develops their farm. Pioneers in the beginning had a hard time making farming work and many left. This girl had the wits and strength about her to make into something productive.

A small part of the story includes a young neighbor woman who's a very cheerful, happy-go-lucky person, but is married to a man who is very serious and quite opposite of her. She falls in love with an old childhood friend. The husband finds them late one night in some trees and kills them both.

I personally thought it kind of an odd book. At least not very exciting. I probably like books better that go in depth in a short time period, rather than one that spans many years.

I remember reading a bit of it in 10th grade, giving up & bluffing my way through that unit; sounds like it got a little more interesting later on.... ;)