Menu

What do you use for Bible?

lindsrae

I would like to do a more organized/formal "curriculum" for Bible next year with my girls. Right now I read a loud a Bible story book and work on their memory verses for church. But I would like to do some that helps them apply the Bible to their own life.

What do you use for Bible? What do you want a Bible curriculum or study to do for you little ones?

This is my first year doing bible. We're using Bob Jones for my 2nd grader. My pastor's daughter is ahead one year from DS and his wife gave us her materials so for something like Bible I didn't bother comparing it to other curriculum I just took it.

My youngest two I'm reading children's bible stories... and reusing old Sunday School materials... again passed on from my pastor's wife. She's great!

http://www.thegoodbook.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=xtb

We use the xtb Bible study. I like it because it is short but daily and has the child looking up the verses in a real Bible, getting them in the habit of daily Bible study and familiar with a real Bible. It is still fun however, with little puzzles and such.

I would like to find a "curriculum" ABOUT the Bible too.

:bigear:

Here are some ideas that we've done in the past:

* Read through books by Susan Hunt - My ABC Bible Verses, Big Truths for Little Kids, Sammy and His Shepherd

* Or books by Sinclair Ferguson - The Big Book of Questions and Answers

* Read "The Child's Story Bible" by Catherine Vos or "The Jesus Storybook Bible" by Sally Lloyd-Jones

* Read "Dangerous Journey" - awesome picture book retelling of Pilgrim's Progress

* Right now we are reading through the book of Mark. After a chapter or so, I have the kids verbally retell the section and then they draw a picture and add words to retell the story. At the end they will have their own story Bible :)

In addition to the above we have catechism and scripture memory work.

My goal is to have our children know the story of scripture and, most of all, to know Jesus. If you're mostly looking for application, I would suggest starting with the Susan Hunt books. We love them all :)

I used Memoria Press Christian Studies for some of our work. There's so very much included between the student and teacher's books that you could actually use one book for two years, in my opinion....

http://www.memoriapress.com/descriptions/ChristianStudies.html

I see they've just come out with a fourth level, too, reviewing all the other levels. Wow, that seems a bit of overkill to me....

I have been using Kay Arthur Inductive Bible Study for kids which has been great. We started with How to Study the Bible for Yourself. We had to do that one together because dd wasn't quite ready to do it on her own but now we've moved on to another book and she does it independently.

I also recently purchased Logos Bible software for my husband and I plan to use it to put together lessons also. I may end up using it more than him.

ETA: I also really like Generations of Grace which can be ordered from www.generationsofgrace.org. We used this at the church we just left. It covers then entire Bible over a 3 year period and is designed for Sunday School so it might be more than you were looking to do.

What we've used and enjoyed in the past:

The Bible components of MFW 1st grade

Stepping Stones to Bigger Faith for Little People

Rod & Staff's Bible Nurture and Reader Series

Reading through the Golden Bible with Memoria Press' Intro. to Classical Studies guide

This year it took me a while to figure out what to go with. I've just purchased R&S's Bible 5 for dd, and I really like the looks of it. It's like an Old Testament survey class.

I love Bible Study Guide for All Ages. I posted about it on my blog in siggie. Just search the blog. My kids enjoy it. It takes about 30 minutes and they are retaining tons! I've been happy with it. We'll use the next section next year.

:iagree:Best Bible program we've ever used. I loved it so much I started using it with my kids (ages 4-13) at Children's church on Sunday nights :001_smile:

We use Positive Action for Christ. There is a Bible story 3 or 4 times a week with an activity page to do each of those days (my kids LOVE it!), a weekly Bible verse, and some extra activities if you want to do those.

The activity pages vary. They could be coloring, dot-to-dot, cut and paste, tracing, filling in the picture, etc.

Bethany