Menu

What to use for French?

Sahamamama

I've been searching through old French threads and still can't decide what to do for French next year. Up to this point, we've been listening to French (CDs) and working a little on vocabulary, but we want to put more focus on French next year. She'll be in 2nd grade, an advanced reader, and an eager learner. I'd like something that is more structured than "Let's practice our French color words."

So far I've looked at:

Skoldo (the younger version of So You Really Want to Learn French from Galore Park) -- UK publication, I think I'd order it through Horriblebooks? I haven't found much information here about Skoldo French. The samples don't show me enough.

Ecoutez, Parlez -- seems like a lot of money for a little content, but it's hard to know what's really in there.

L'Art de Lire -- so far, this seems like the best for us for the next 2-3 years, but I've read others' posts about shipping nightmares. Any ideas for how to get this to our door, without getting ripped off?

Any other ideas for French?

Researching French courses is like getting sucked into a black hole.

I've looked through the threads too, and after trying Skoldo and Lire, I decided to switch to Breaking the Barrier. It's perfect for us because DD learns best through a strong grammar approach, although the initial lessons are just vocabulary and simple sentences so that the student can start speaking French. After a couple of years of Latin, we haven't had any trouble with this book, but we've also had to work slowly through it. I have DD wake up in the mornings to the author's lessons.

I also found a vintage French reader on Google and I've been using it for DD to read aloud. There is a direct translation below each French word. However, DD's tutor warned me that this is not the correct approach nowadays to teach French.

You can also buy Lire online as a pdf - that's one way to avoid shipping problems. DD did like this program, but she needs more challenge and I wasn't willing to pay one level at a time and have her finish it in 2 months or pay for all levels at once.

I've been there and tried Ecoutez Parlez and Lire as a pdf. Neither worked for us. Lire looks like a solid program, but I need a program that starts out getting us pronouncing things correctly. I was able to download and print the pdf right away, but had some problems printing pictures on the flashcards. Many of the flashcard pictures were a big black square. I emailed about the issue and received no response. After several years of exposure and trying a few programs I shelved French last year and will resume it in 5th grade (next school year).

I can tell you what I plan to use. My goal is to get my child reading and pronouncing French correctly in the first year. We are in Canada and the opportunity to read French is everywhere so I'll be using these:

Pronounce it Perfectly in French

Exercises in French Phonics

Easy French Reader

My son does well with a reading-focused approach to foreign languages. After that I'll likely use some standard high school/college curriculum and go at a slower pace. I haven't decided on which one yet.

I've been there and tried Ecoutez Parlez and Lire as a pdf. Neither worked for us. Lire looks like a solid program, but I need a program that starts out getting us pronouncing things correctly. I was able to download and print the pdf right away, but had some problems printing pictures on the flashcards. Many of the flashcard pictures were a big black square. I emailed about the issue and received no response. After several years of exposure and trying a few programs I shelved French last year and will resume it in 5th grade (next school year).

I can tell you what I plan to use. My goal is to get my child reading and pronouncing French correctly in the first year. We are in Canada and the opportunity to read French is everywhere so I'll be using these:

Pronounce it Perfectly in French

Exercises in French Phonics

Easy French Reader

My son does well with a reading-focused approach to foreign languages. After that I'll likely use some standard high school/college curriculum and go at a slower pace. I haven't decided on which one yet.

Thank you for the suggestions. I'm going to take a look at these. My brother speaks French and told me never to ever speak French to DD because my pronunciation, um, sucks. But we listen to BtB every day and I think I'm starting to get it, but I completely agree with you, my goal is to have DD pronounce French words correctly and read simple books by December.

[quote name=Sahamamama;3509147

Ecoutez' date=' Parlez -- seems like a lot of money for a little content, but it's hard to know what's really in there.

L'Art de Lire -- so far, this seems like the best for us for the next 2-3 years, but I've read others' posts about shipping nightmares. Any ideas for how to get this to our door, without getting ripped off?

This appears to be the U.S. distributor of L'art de Lire. I haven't used them personally.

http://www.catholic-christian-home-school-saint-prayer-book-gift-store.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=151_156_229

I was just coming to the board to ask if there are DVD based French programs - so adding the question here if that's OK.

DD wants to learn, but I have NO idea how to pronounce anything in French and would like to outsource if possible.

If you are interested in Skoldo, you can always contact the company for more samples. I've used SY French, which was good.

Laura

Thank you, Laura. I did finally realize that I was looking for samples at Horriblebooks.com, rather than on the GP site (where there are plenty of samples).

At what age would you recommend starting SYRWTLF? (minimum age?) I like that this course moves beyond vocabulary and into grammar, but perhaps it would be best to begin in 1-2 years, after more exposure to French (listening & imitating) and more work on basic vocabulary?

Edited by Sahamamama

Thank you, Laura. I did finally realize that I was looking for samples at Horriblebooks.com, rather than on the GP site (where there are plenty of samples).

At what age would you recommend starting SYRWTLF? (minimum age?) I like that this course moves beyond vocabulary and into grammar, but perhaps it would be best to begin in 1-2 years, after more exposure to French (listening & imitating) and more work on basic vocabulary?

It was perfect for Calvin, at age 12. For Hobbes, at eight, it moved forward a little fast - he could have done with an extra workbook for reinforcement.

I wouldn't recommend SY French if you are not fairly good at French yourself: the audio is just for listening - it doesn't offer much practice. I used to go back over previous lessons orally for reinforcement and to get the boys talking.

Laura

We started with SYRWTLF in about 4th grade and I found my kids needed more reinforcement, and we moved very slowly through the book. Now galore Park has the online practice which is very helpful and not very expensive.

I also have some of the Skoldo materials and Nallenart levels 1-6.

Skoldo is more colorful, has a decent audio cd for each page, and has a teacher book that I think is laid out in an easy to use way, and includes 3 levels of worksheet for each lesson, and lesson plans (activities, practice, etc)

L'art de Lire...I bought the download so no having to worry about actually getting a package, but have to print everything. It comes in a bunch of files, including audio files. It is plainer, no color, more workbooky, and moves very slowly (I think the first 6 levels cover SYRWTLF book 1 or so) The first 2 levels or so have some lapbooks. The teachers book is mostly just the workbook pages with the answers filled in.

Let me know if you have any questions. I think either Skoldo or Nallenart would be good for a second grader. With Skoldo I think you would really have to put in the effort to learn along with your child.

It was perfect for Calvin, at age 12. For Hobbes, at eight, it moved forward a little fast - he could have done with an extra workbook for reinforcement.

I wouldn't recommend SY French if you are not fairly good at French yourself: the audio is just for listening - it doesn't offer much practice. I used to go back over previous lessons orally for reinforcement and to get the boys talking.

Laura

If you were to finish Skoldo series, where would you place a child afterwards? SY French 2?

I'm sure that Galore Park could advise you on that.

Best wishes

Laura

Thanks. As OP said, finding good French resources are sooo tough to find. We own First Start French and L'art de Dire and I am so dissapointed in both of them. We finally unearthed the first grade French textbook used in French schools in the seventies and that's what we are using (my kids are almost 7 and 5). I am liking the looks of Skoldo.

Ecoutez Parlez was okay when we did it but nothing stellar. I bought Mission Monde to do with them but had to put it aside while I focus some of our school time on therapies. I hope to get back to it soon. It is a curriculum designed in Canada and includes not just the oral part like ecoutex parlez, but also reading and writing French as well as a little about french cultures etc.

We use (and love) L'Art de Lire. The first time we ordered directly from the company and had no problems (arrived within 3 weeks). I just did another order last month and ordered from Learning House in Ontario, because of the problems others have had with ordering directly from Nallenart. Learning House was wonderful. The shipping to the states was high (about $17 American), but I my shipment arrived just 6 days after I placed my order. Unless I can find a better American distributor, I will use them again.

We use (and love) L'Art de Lire. The first time we ordered directly from the company and had no problems (arrived within 3 weeks). I just did another order last month and ordered from Learning House in Ontario, because of the problems others have had with ordering directly from Nallenart. Learning House was wonderful. The shipping to the states was high (about $17 American), but I my shipment arrived just 6 days after I placed my order. Unless I can find a better American distributor, I will use them again.

Learning house is a great company, they carry many items I can not get elsewhere through other stores here in Canada. Don't worry about the high shipping, it is high here too and I am in Canada. THe owners are fabulous, I met them last year at conference.

If you are interested in Skoldo, you can always contact the company for more samples. I've used SY French, which was good.

Laura

I really liked The Easy French. At that age, probably the junior version. Dd used it all the way up to grade 9 ( I think she did 2A for grade 9). I grade 10 she took a conversational class at the rec center and used a workbook ( The Ultimate French review or something). Now she's in high school and has a 93 in French 11. Her teacher said her oral and paragraph writing skills are quite strong and I think that has a lot to do with the approach The Easy French takes.