Menu

Tipping and awkwardness!

Today I went for laser hair removal. This is my third treatment. I have never left a tip prior. Before I made my appointment, the receptionist says, "Would you like to leave a tip for _______?" I just paused for a second. It was awkward. I said, "Hmm..I don't think I have any cash on me..." as I waffle through my purse to grab my wallet. She responds, "You can leave it on a debit or credit card...". :001_huh:

I did leave a tip, but was confused and astonished that she was so blunt. I have never been asked before on the way out. This is a medical spa where they actually have a doctor on the premises. I don't tip my dermatologist or medical doctor.

This has baffled me since I left. I'm now wondering if I was wrong to not leave a tip after any other laser hair removal appointment. I have had other laser done at other medical spas in the past and have never left a tip. Does laser hair removal fall under the same category now as getting your hair and nails done? Or even getting your eyebrows waxed?

I would love to hear your opinions!

Edited by parias1126

I've done laser hair removal in three different states and have never been asked anything like this! Typically I pay for my sessions in advance with a package type of deal, and so I guess I have never paid on the way out. Still, as you said, it is more of a doctor's office than a salon, and I would never think to leave a tip there. I feel like I am already paying them very well for the 7 minutes they spend with me!

I wouldn't at a medical place and that is what it sounds like with a doctor there. If it was one of those nail/hair salon places, then I would. Then again, ask me for a tip and I will give you one that's not money.

O/T- How do you like your results so far? I have been considering this for myself for awhile.

The results have been amazing so far. In the past they have always been great as well.

I've done laser hair removal in three different states and have never been asked anything like this! Typically I pay for my sessions in advance with a package type of deal, and so I guess I have never paid on the way out. Still, as you said, it is more of a doctor's office than a salon, and I would never think to leave a tip there. I feel like I am already paying them very well for the 7 minutes they spend with me!

This is how I feel. I spent $1400 for a package deal and I am sure the technicians make a fairly decent salary. I have never thought to leave a tip because, to me, it is considered a medical treatment.

I see both sides. The first side, well, you'll never know until you ask. The other side, I've refused tips when there I am already paying for a service, like the helper at the already expensive bouncy, birthday place. She just put the cake on the table for goodness sake! But, I have tipped at massages and facials, like I would a hairdresser.

I don't know about the laser hair removal. I would consider it cosmetic, so yes, I would tip, like the hairdresser.

I have had laser hair removal done for the past year at a medical spa where the doctor is on the premises. After the initial consultation with the doctor, the estheticians are the ones who do all the laser treatments. I got one treatment several years before this at a different medical spa and I tipped then as well. I think if it was a doctor's office where the doctor provided the treatment, I wouldn't think to tip. But I guess because it's called a medical "spa", I've just automatically tipped out. I always tip because like the PP, I believe that it's the same category as a massage, facial, or haircut.

Plus- I want to be on the good side of the person coming at me with a laser :lol:, especially since they remember me every time I come in :scared:.

Edited by lluv

I have had laser hair removal done for the past year at a medical spa where the doctor is on the premises. After the initial consultation with the doctor, the estheticians are the ones who do all the laser treatments. I got one treatment several years before this at a different medical spa and I tipped then as well. I think if it was a doctor's office where the doctor provided the treatment, I wouldn't think to tip. But I guess because it's called a medical "spa", I've just automatically tipped out. I always tip because like the PP, I believe that it's the same category as a massage, facial, or haircut.

Plus- I want to be on the good side of the person coming at me with a laser :lol:, especially since they remember me every time I come in :scared:.

I will be leaving a tip again next time. I am embarrassed! I really never though to leave a tip for laser hair removal. I'm not sure why it never crossed my mind, but I do leave a tip when I go get my eyebrows waxed and they are both forms of hair removal and a service....Hmmm.

This really left me something to think about. I'm glad I posted here. I do feel much better now, but I feel bad now because I never left a tip prior.

Aww, don't feel too bad!! It's hard to tell what to tip for nowadays. I just found out the other day that you're suppose to tip the person who washes your hair if it's not the person who's cutting it?!

BTW- at my spa they actually have SIGNS in the treatment rooms "thanking" people for the gratuities given for laser hair removal. That's their way of giving people a "hint" :D, so seriously don't feel bad.

Aww, don't feel too bad!! It's hard to tell what to tip for nowadays. I just found out the other day that you're suppose to tip the person who washes your hair if it's not the person who's cutting it?!

BTW- at my spa they actually have SIGNS in the treatment rooms "thanking" people for the gratuities given for laser hair removal. That's their way of giving people a "hint" :D, so seriously don't feel bad.

Yeah definitely don't feel bad. Here is a story to make you feel better. I've been using my hairdresser for over 20 years. In the early days, she worked for someone else and we should have tipped her but didn't (didn't really know better!) By the time I realized I should be tipping her she owned her own place and so I still don't tip her!