Menu

Writing Tales

Marsha

With one dd, we used WT1 in fourth and WT2 in fifth. I then tried WT1 with my next one when she was in third. I think I liked WT1 better for fourth. Unless my next one just loves writing and is chomping at the bit, I am inclined to wait until fourth to start.

I really love WT. And now we're loving WWS.:)

I am giving it a try with my 8 year old second grader. I know she is on the younger side for this, but is strong in the LA, so I figured why not try. She loves it. We just started though, so it may be a short love affair. I am not pushing it at all, just going through the steps as outlined, but she does love it - who knew?

We had started using Writing Tales 1 this year (3rd grade), but have stopped for now...

I am puzzled about those of you who say you could complete it in a few months. How do you do this? We really got bogged down with the final drafts every other week of original stories that were supposed to have no mistakes in them, especially typing them up to save them as a portfolio. I know this was only recommended, not required, but if she was doing this in ps they would be putting the stories together in a nice book so I wanted to do the same. She LOVES looking over portfolios from her work in preschool thru 1st grade before we started hsing. It just got to be too much pressure to keep up with writing a new story each week...and my dd8 loves to write. Probably too much. She adds so many details it turns into a big ordeal.

We were/are also doing WWE, AAS, OPGTR, and the MCT Grammar Island series, so we have a lot of Language Arts on our plate. We loved the stories and games in Writing Tales, and how creative it allowed you to be, but we reached a point where we felt like we were slaves to it instead of letting it work for us. I think I may hold on to it and do it for fun in the Summer when we aren't hsing every subject. Or not follow the proposed schedule and just wait until we finish one story before moving on.

We had started using Writing Tales 1 this year (3rd grade), but have stopped for now...

I am puzzled about those of you who say you could complete it in a few months. How do you do this? We really got bogged down with the final drafts every other week of original stories that were supposed to have no mistakes in them, especially typing them up to save them as a portfolio. I know this was only recommended, not required, but if she was doing this in ps they would be putting the stories together in a nice book so I wanted to do the same. She LOVES looking over portfolios from her work in preschool thru 1st grade before we started hsing. It just got to be too much pressure to keep up with writing a new story each week...and my dd8 loves to write. Probably too much. She adds so many details it turns into a big ordeal.

We were/are also doing WWE, AAS, OPGTR, and the MCT Grammar Island series, so we have a lot of Language Arts on our plate. We loved the stories and games in Writing Tales, and how creative it allowed you to be, but we reached a point where we felt like we were slaves to it instead of letting it work for us. I think I may hold on to it and do it for fun in the Summer when we aren't hsing every subject. Or not follow the proposed schedule and just wait until we finish one story before moving on.

We did it by doubling on up on the short assignments. We did do the games, but I would also have dd do a couple of worksheets on the same day. Most of the grammar was review for us, though. My dd spent one day on her draft and one day on the final paper, including typing it up. Even though she finished WT1 last year, she is still working on illustrations so that we can put a book together with Valerie Bendt's Creating Books with Children. If I had slowed down for illustrations, we still wouldn't have finished.

Even though we are using WWE as well, we did not use it at the same time as WT. As a matter of fact, we wound up doubling up on the WWE assignments and finishing it in half a year, which is why I moved onto WT in January. This year, I am less ambitious and am taking my time with WT 2.

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa

We skip some of the grammar stuff since we are using a seperate grammar program. We also skip some of the creative writing in the second week of the story since my ds is not a big writer and this is "painful" for him. I also don't make my Ds rewrite his stories. We edit it together and then I type it on the computer. My Ds is also 5th grade and he has no program sitting down and spending an hour on this subject. And some days we can get a whole week done in an hour. If I was doing this with my younger Ds I would use the 30 weeks as suggested, but I really am just trying to catch up my older one since we hadn't used a writing program till this year.