Menu

Dh's birthday --he's a tough one -- help

His birthday is in a couple of weeks. And Father's Day is coming up. He is quite difficult to get things for. He has everything he wants/needs. He has an ipod and a gps now. He has no real hobbies. He does like to hike but has everything he needs for that already. I seriously have NO clue what to get him. Nothing. Nada. What can I get the poor guy?

His birthday is in a couple of weeks. And Father's Day is coming up. He is quite difficult to get things for. He has everything he wants/needs. He has an ipod and a gps now. He has no real hobbies. He does like to hike but has everything he needs for that already. I seriously have NO clue what to get him. Nothing. Nada. What can I get the poor guy?

My dh is honestly happier when I DON'T get him a gift. So, unless I can find the perfect special thing, I just get him a card and tell him why I still love him, make him his favorite dinner, spend a little "quality ;) time" with him and he is just as happy. But, if your dh likes gifts then how about a gift card for some download for his ipod or a movie for it if it is a video ipod.

I have the same problem with my DH. He is getting a World Series Red Sox baseball cap, a book I think he'll like, and some chocolates, plus dinner at his favorite restaurant and a cake.

I can't think of anything else. He doesn't want an iPod (which is weird for a guy who loves music) and he doesn't need a GPS.

How about a batch of homemade cookies? A tree or a bush for the yard? Or one of those things that lets one play his iPod in the car? Or a remote start thing for his car -- for cold days? Or a new bathing suit? A thong? j/k

My kids are going to clean out DH's car for his Father's Day present and clean up his bathroom for his birthday present. (They don't know this yet. :D)

You say he has no real hobbies. What about taking him geo-caching for his bday? It involves hiking & his gps sys., & you could hide something there for him.

That doesn't answer the question of *what* to hide, though. It could be something simple, since it will be so fun to find, but...since it's so fun to find, that sort of builds it up, doesn't it?

I'd go one of 3 directions, based on what you've said so far:

1. Sentimental: find a book or album or something that would be special to him. Check out Craig's List or Ebay for some kind of nostalgia item, autographed/ 1st ed book, etc.

2. Fun: let the day be an adventure that leads to some other adventure. I set up a...oh, what do you call it?... there were clues that guide you to the next place? Some kind of hunt, anyway, for dh for his bday one yr. I left the clues at different stores, so when he figured them out (or didn't), he had to go in & ask the mgr on duty for his next clue. This all led up to his mom's house, where we dropped the dc for the weekend, & then returned home to find enough friends waiting w/ cake, root beer, etc. to play a FULL game of Axis & Allies. (It took about 2 days.)

3. Ahem. Yep. And I'm not providing any details or suggestions. But...if you're hiking...I bet he'll be surprised.

GL!

Could you make him a photo book? There are lots of places to do that - shutterfly.com is one. They're not that expensive and they're a lot of fun.

My dh is hard, too. This year for Father's Day I got him a shirt that says "V 1.0" and shirts for the kids that say "V 2.0" - they are very cute. Here is the link, just in case:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/generic/6c68/

I was going to make him a photo book, too, but he's SO not a gift person, I think the shirts will be enough (with a great picture for me out of the deal, LOL). And I think I'm going to have the girls make him a Father's Day lapbook.

Could you ask him directly what he would like?

Some people enjoy the surprise factor when it comes to gifts, but I know a lot of guys (myself included) who aren't hurt by being asked what they'd most enjoy. I'd much rather have someone ask than spend good money on something that I don't need or want. Often I don't want anything at all, just time with my loved ones or doing something I enjoy.

I'm with Mindy, the "quality time" is really what they would like.;)

I cook his favorite meal, make The Chocolate Cake and coffee and let him have the remote.:001_smile:

Thinking about a men's board and a guy asking "what should I get my wife?" and all the guys saying, "how about a little time between the sheets, hubba hubba." I guess this must be one of those gender differences:)

Okay, OP - I am getting my DH a DVD class from Theteachingcompany.com. If he's at all studious, he might like that. I thought about getting him a really cool kite from an online company. In a way, that would be more of a gift to the kids then to DH, but DH always loves anything that delights his boys, so maybe something that your DH could enjoy WITH his family would be good.

I love hiking, and a few years DH gave me a book listing and describing the best waterfalls in our state. It was just a little $15 book, but I have had a lot of fun with it. Now when the kids and I go up in the high country, we always are looking at side trips so we can visit a fall. We want to check them all off! Maybe you could find something like that to enhanse his hiking?

Would your DH like any kind of class? Mine is going to take an art class on a trip to Charleston in the summer, and I am considering it his birthday present.

Or you could do what my DH did to me on my 40th. Surprise him with a dog, lol.

You say he has no real hobbies. What about taking him geo-caching for his bday? It involves hiking & his gps sys., & you could hide something there for him.

That doesn't answer the question of *what* to hide, though. It could be something simple, since it will be so fun to find, but...since it's so fun to find, that sort of builds it up, doesn't it?

I'd go one of 3 directions, based on what you've said so far:

I think this is a *great* idea!

My dh's birthday was last month & what he wanted (& got) was a bike. He's been using it tons now (esp. now that gas is so expensive) to make nearby trips like the library, etc.... He's thrilled.

Ds got him a lego set (lol -- hmmm, not like ds had an ulterior motive or anything???) & dd got him something to use while cooking (he cooks a lot).

I like the idea of a book that would point out some special places to hike, etc....

A national or state park pass?

A lesson at an indoor rock-climbing place if he's never tried something like that?

Tickets for a show? (For Christmas, I got dh tickets to a comedy show -- 2 of the guys from Whose Line is it Anyway? -- and we had a blast. Really a fun evening & a nice outing for us.)

For his birthday, I am looking into repelling classes or a rafting trip for him and either our son or his friend.

Dd9 is also buying him a new cervical pillow as his is falling apart. It was her idea so we are going with it for his 'real' FD gift.

If he is really into hiking, maybe some cash would be nice to set aside for a splurge item later. You know how when you see something you want...you don't have the money. Well if he has some $$ then he can splurge when he wants to without dipping into the regular account.

A few thoughts for a hiker would be guide books, good boots or shoes, ultra lightweight water bottle or day pack, good hat, seasonal jacket -- one that breath really well--, special clothes, camp snacks, lightweight pop-up tent if her overnights or lightweight sleeping bag. A subscription to a hiking magazine (a great place for ideas to splurge on) or a local nature magazine are a gift to enjoy all year.

My ds is an electronics guy! Mine really wants an iphone, even though he already has an itouch ipod. sheesh. He thinks I work! :D

Ds wants to get him a nintendo ds so that they can play with each other.

I was going to get rock band for the wii but now they are coming out with guitar hero 4 (it it has symbols) - so he wants that one.

HTH

Some people enjoy the surprise factor when it comes to gifts, but I know a lot of guys (myself included) who aren't hurt by being asked what they'd most enjoy. I'd much rather have someone ask than spend good money on something that I don't need or want. Often I don't want anything at all, just time with my loved ones or doing something I enjoy.

Oh yes, I do that all the time. When I told him I had not come up with any ideas, he asked what the boards came up with. He was certain I had already posted about it!:lol:

He likes gifts, but not just for the sake of a gift. He likes it if is something really appropriate and thoughtful. He loved the ipod. And he loved the gps. He's not a serious gadget guy. He's quite simple with needs. Very easy going. Just not into stuff.

Okay, you all are clever folks. I will think on these and see what I can come up with using these wonderful ideas. I think that the hiking with the gps one is the closest to his idea of a great gift. That one seems like it would suit him really well. Now to implement the plan when I haven't a clue how to even turn the unit on! There is a guy I know who would likely help with that though. He and dh are friends. He is a big gadget guy and owns a lot of gps units himself! He loves to hikes with his kids. I think he will be able to set this up for me!

Thanks all. You are a very creative bunch of people!

I have found that time is what my dh wants most as we are in such a busy season with little ones. I've arranged to have someone surprise him and take him golfing. Recently I arranged for a babysitter and we went on a Segway tour of our city (very fun). Maybe you could find a sitter and then arrange for a special date for the two of you...doing something you used to do when dating or something you know he would like or just go out to dinner and a movie. Or just go hiking together?

ETA: I was posting as you were. Sounds like you have a good start to a plan...

I have found that time is what my dh wants most as we are in such a busy season with little ones. I've arranged to have someone surprise him and take him golfing. Recently I arranged for a babysitter and we went on a Segway tour of our city (very fun). Maybe you could find a sitter and then arrange for a special date for the two of you...doing something you used to do when dating or something you know he would like or just go out to dinner and a movie. Or just go hiking together?

ETA: I was posting as you were. Sounds like you have a good start to a plan...

I do, but it can always be added on to. A date would be wonderful. We never go out. He would be thrilled if I made arrangements for something for just the 2 of us. Thanks!

:iagree: