Menu

Refund on dance classes, what to do?

I am just not sure what to do. I did not sign anything so there is no 'contract' to refer to. Our girls have been with this dance school for 2.5 years...last semester we put 15k miles on our car just driving kids where they need to go...son's rowing is 35 miles from their dance and pretty much the same time...there is one other dance school that does their style that is just 10 minutes from rowing and would save us headaches...

So, after meeting the other instructor we decided to switch. I had already paid one fourth of this semester's tuition last week...it covers about six weeks of lessons...so tonight is our last night (current teacher requested we quit sooner than later I gave her the option to let me know what she would prefer)... The girls have only had one and a half weeks lesson there...should or can I ask for a refund? I know it will already be awkward...what say the Hive?

I would ask if I were you, but I would not be surprised or upset if they said no.

You knew when you signed up for class that rowing and dance were 35 miles apart. The dance studio did nothing wrong, so they don't owe you a refund for your scheduling issues. But if they're nice and understanding, they will oblige.

If the current teacher let it up to you, then no, I would not expect a refund. However, since she has requested you leave sooner as opposed to later, I would take that to mean that she is asking you to leave, so yes I would expect a refund in this case.

Guest submarines
If the current teacher let it up to you, then no, I would not expect a refund. However, since she has requested you leave sooner as opposed to later, I would take that to mean that she is asking you to leave, so yes I would expect a refund in this case.

:iagree:

:iagree:

I agree, but keep in mind that the teacher may not be the ultimate authority. The studio owner may have a different take on it and not want to give any refund. In that case, I'd expect my kids to be able to class until we'd used up our pre-paid tuition funds.

Absolutely they owe you a refund. They have requested, not you, that you not continue the rest of the 6 lessons you paid for. Not wanting to continue with them after the 6 weeks is not grounds for them to expel your daughters and not refund your money. I'm honestly surprised it's even a question of do they owe you a refund or not when it's not your choice to not continue the paid for classes.

I agree, but keep in mind that the teacher may not be the ultimate authority. The studio owner may have a different take on it and not want to give any refund. In that case, I'd expect my kids to be able to class until we'd used up our pre-paid tuition funds.
:iagree: never discuss quit dates with instructors.

Also, it would not be uncommon to suggestb early quit date so they have count for spring shows and can adjust costume numbers and choreography.

My suggestion is to use up classes or cut your losses. 0repaid sessions and classes are nonrefundable at every studio in our area but one.

I would definitely ask about it. There's no reason to feel uncomfortable about it, as your dds won't be taking any more classes there, so it's not like you're going to see the teacher or the owner again, anyway. Besides, it's not as though your dds were new students -- you've been paying for classes for 2.5 years, so the owner should realize that it's good business to give you the refund.

Good luck! :001_smile:

:iagree: never discuss quit dates with instructors.

Also, it would not be uncommon to suggestb early quit date so they have count for spring shows and can adjust costume numbers and choreography.

My suggestion is to use up classes or cut your losses. 0repaid sessions and classes are nonrefundable at every studio in our area but one.

Thanks all! Headed out...it is a one teacher show, she is the owner and instructor...they are pretty protective of their dance choreography so I wanted to give her the option of us finishing out what I've paid or what she would prefer...she wants this to be their last night. She is very business oriented so she may have already written out a refund check, but if not, I needed to know if I was unreasonable to ask for a partial refund...thanks!!

I'd let the teacher know that if there was no refund, my kids would still come to the class (so she can not fill the slot with another family and charge them tuition, too.) If there is a wait list for the class, she may well give the refund to free up the slots for new students.

Thanks all! Headed out...it is a one teacher show, she is the owner and instructor...they are pretty protective of their dance choreography so I wanted to give her the option of us finishing out what I've paid or what she would prefer...she wants this to be their last night. She is very business oriented so she may have already written out a refund check, but if not, I needed to know if I was unreasonable to ask for a partial refund...thanks!!

Why did she ask the students to leave? Just curious as I have a daughter at several studios and this issue of asking students to leave has come up with other families over various circumstances.

Why did she ask the students to leave? Just curious as I have a daughter at several studios and this issue of asking students to leave has come up with other families over various circumstances.

Well, it could be a few things...it is Irish dancing, so each 'school' has their own choreography that the girls must learn to advance their levels...so staying at the current school would not make much sense because they'd be learning dances that ultimately they can not use and dance teachers do not want to "share" their choreography with other schools. Both schools in our town though do not compete against one another, they are in different organizations...

The other is that both these teachers have had communication issues and misunderstandings that make them feel there is more competition b/w them even though they are in different spheres...having met both of them, I can easily see where they would probably get along very well...but in a smaller area I guess they compete for performance events and bookings so it must get testy at times I guess. We love our present teacher and it's just our schedules that could not keep up the pace..we really did not think our son would stick with rowing...but it's his passion and the girls is their dance so we had to figure out a way to accomodate both without mom losing her mind and having to put new tires on the car every 2 years..

I decided to wait to ask for the refund since this was our last goodbye...would have left on a bad note if it did not go well..I just wanted to thank her for all she's done and leave her knowing that we have completely appreciated her work with our girls...I'll wait a few days and send an email...thanks for the help!