Menu

Asthma attack due to fragrant bar soap?

Thanks. I'm pretty sure I'm having more asthma issues, mine manifest as coughing more than wheezing. It's undiagnosed, but I know I have exercise induced asthma and I'm sensitive to chemicals.

The soap has been in the shower for two days, I used it even. But this morning I went in the bathroom after dh left and then started coughing right away. I'm getting over a cough/cold anyway, so I thought nothing of it. Then I kept coughing and coughing and coughing. Finally used my Primatene Mist and took a benadryl, that helped.

The soap smell was overwhelming in the bathroom, so I had ds throw it out wrapped in a baggie. My mom gave us the bar, I'm pretty sure we've used that brand before even. For some reason today it was an issue. Probably because we were trying to start back to school. :tongue_smilie:

Totally possible. My asthma flares up for many reasons...one of the main ones being an allergic reaction to strong smells. Being around someone with cologne or perfume can sometimes cause an almost immediate reaction for me.

:iagree:

Same here. I start sneezing immediately if someone smells of cigarette smoke, perfume or strong lotion. My allergist told me (after going to her originally for this issue)(five years of going to her by the way) that it is an irritant and even getting allergy shots won't help the issue.

My airways close up and after the sneezing fit is over, I have a hard time breathing for hours afterwards. Good luck.

Yes.

If my lungs are already twitchy, scented items like soap and candles and potpourri are one of the quickest ways to bring on a full-blown attack.

After two years without problems, I went into a Michael's store bathroom two weeks ago, while battling a cold, and despite leaving as quickly as possible, I was coughing before I could get out of the store because of the restroom "air freshener".

Absolutely it can! I also have the coughing asthma. Here are some triggers for me:

strong scents (including but not limited to cigarette smoke, bleach, gasoline, candles and bath items)

cold air

cold drinks

caffeine

exercise

laughing

crying

respiratory infections

In addition to your inhaler, get someone (or try it yourself if you can) to pull up and release your upper back muscles (kind of like a massage) when you're having an attack. This helps to lessen the constriction of the airway.

Sorry you're going through this. It's no fun.

yes. allergists offices will even have signs on their doors telling non-asthamtics to not use ANY fragrance (e.g. perfume, scented moisturizer, etc.) before coming, because the slightest fragrance can trigger an attack. I couldn't burn candles in my home when my mother was here, as it would trigger an attack in her.

ftr: I hate dial - I had to ban dh from buying it. It has way too much stinky fragrance, and I despise it.

Is this possible? Particularly dial gold bar soap?

Long story to go with this, but I just want to know if it's possible.

Absolutely possible. One of my sisters died because she had an asthma attack that developed into pneumonia. It was triggered by fragrance in hand soap at work; they were supposed to only use unscented soap but someone screwed up.

Absolutely possible. One of my sisters died because she had an asthma attack that developed into pneumonia. It was triggered by fragrance in hand soap at work; they were supposed to only use unscented soap but someone screwed up.

:grouphug: :grouphug: I am so sorry for your loss.