Menu

News story...

http://entertainment.verizon.com/news/read.php?rip_id=%3CD9S281OO0%40news.ap.org%3E&ps=1011

This made me cry. My ds is an "8th grader" at home. Why do police shoot to kill? Can't they shoot to stop and not kill? I know he was armed but I still don't understand why they couldn't have done it another way. Maybe I'm thinking wrongly... :confused:

Shoot to kill, or else you don't point your weapon at it. If the subject must be stopped using a firearm, he/she must be killed.

It's really an absolute rule; you're killing or not shooting.

Subject may survive if you're a bad shot, but the intention always has to be to kill.

Shoot to kill, or else you don't point your weapon at it. If the subject must be stopped using a firearm, he/she must be killed.

Subject may survive if you're a bad shot, but the intention always has to be to kill.

This is absolutely true, (and is why I am a pacificst, but that's another thread). Sorry OP, I know what you're saying, but when we're talking shooting weapons, one should always assume the intention is death, nothing else.

http://entertainment.verizon.com/news/read.php?rip_id=%3CD9S281OO0%40news.ap.org%3E&ps=1011

This made me cry. My ds is an "8th grader" at home. Why do police shoot to kill? Can't they shoot to stop and not kill? I know he was armed but I still don't understand why they couldn't have done it another way. Maybe I'm thinking wrongly... :confused:

They can't really shoot to 'stop' if the person is armed.

I wish movies portrayed this more accurately.

:iagree:

How tragic!

But the police did the right thing! How much more tragic would it have been to have many other people (police, students, teachers) killed as well? I think if that were the case, people would be jumping all over the cops saying (rightfully, IMO), they didn't serve and protect.

...one should always assume the intention is death, nothing else.

Exactly…it’s dangerous to shoot “just to injureâ€. It indicates that in that case, deadly force isn’t necessary to begin with.

If one is simply shooting to stop the other person, there’s a good chance they’ll die from their wounds.

So the logical conclusion is, if you aim your weapon at a target, it MUST be only to kill.

Sad, but there’s no way around it.

the number of kids who commit adult crimes. What is this world coming to? There is no innocence. None.

I don't have any statistics, but in my opinion, the destruction of the family unit and the lack of a consistent, strong, positive male role model is at least partly to blame for these types of things. There are so many fatherless kids out there, searching for leadership, finding the wrong kind.

Also, just noted on the map that Brownsville is on the Mexican border so who knows what else was at play. Gang activity, etc? Who knows...

Edited by bbkaren