Menu

What does one eat when there are oxygen tanks at home?

I'm sorry to seem ignorant, but is there no way to move the oxygen out of the cooking area? Or are you the one with the oxygen? I have no experience with this, but I know people with oxygen can eat and drink normally (subject to whatever their medical needs are, of course), so there must be a way, and I imagine it involves keeping the oxygen safely away from fire and sparks.

Unless one is setting up a hibachi on the dining room table, cooking and eating can go on as normal.

My father lived with us for the last year of his life, the final six months of which involved oxygen, both canisters and the giant liquid oxygen tanks. We didn't do anything differently.

astrid

Unless one is setting up a hibachi on the dining room table, cooking and eating can go on as normal.

My father lived with us for the last year of his life, the final six months of which involved oxygen, both canisters and the giant liquid oxygen tanks. We didn't do anything differently.

astrid

Dangnabit! Now I have to go take my oxygen tank off my hibachi!! You ruined my day, Astrid!!! :lol::lol::lol:

My mother lives with us and uses a compressor and we haven't changed anything. When she lived alone, she occasionally used a tank in the house and she didn't change her cooking habits at all.

I wonder if I should refrain from using candles when she's at the table.

When my mother was with us and had a compressor, the oxygen company gave us a list of flammables that we had to remove from the house, such as fingernail polish remover. And we were told she had to either stop the compressor or close tank before cooking.

I was only told "no smoking" in/around the house.....they didn't tell us anything about not cooking....we have an electric stove-and I didn't ever use the oxygen tank,but it was a stand by just in case I had trouble with my other machine...don't have it anymore since I use an apnea machine....

I was only told "no smoking" in/around the house.....they didn't tell us anything about not cooking....we have an electric stove-and I didn't ever use the oxygen tank,but it was a stand by just in case I had trouble with my other machine...don't have it anymore since I use an apnea machine....
I would think other people could use the oven, just not the person hooked to the oxygen. Unless the tank or compressor is leaking, the overall oxygen level in the room shouldn't be significantly higher than normal. They are designed to deliver extra oxygen to just the one person, without too much wastage. (Assuming the tank or compressor is not sitting right there in the kitchen.) If so, someone could cook a number of meals and freeze them, and the person on oxygen could probably microwave them. (Put them in, push the button, and move away.)

My grandma had a compressor, which sat in the living room. She was bedridden, though, and my mom did all the cooking. No one ever told her not to use the stove/oven.

My dad is on full time oxygen. He prefers the liquid oxygen to the compressors. He doesn't like relying on electricity and the compressors are very loud (for him and me).

We don't have any problems with cooking. He loves to cook and bake. He has electric stoves and it has never been a problem.