Menu

Anniversary present, should I do it?

Tomorrow is our anniversary, and this year I decided to get DH an iPhone. I have one, and he uses it all the time to FaceTime his sister, and play around. I used money from consigning some clothes that don't fit me anymore, but I think he's still going to be upset that I spent that much when he doesn't really 'need' a phone.

So now I'm questioning myself, should I give it to him? He wouldn't care at all if he didn't get a present, but I feel he deserves it. He never buys anything for himself.

I know he'd rather me take that money and put it towards bills, but we don't NEED that money for bills, it would just be used as extra money toward a balance on a cc or something.

So, should I take it back? Or risk him being upset that I got it?

but we don't NEED that money for bills, it would just be used as extra money toward a balance on a cc or something.

IMHO, carrying debt is a need. I would be highly ticked at receiving an expensive gift, especially one that requires monthly payments heaped on top of any pre-existing balances that we were already working to pay down.

I'd return the phone and give him a homemade card with a promise to bake cookies every month.

ETA: it is very sweet of you to try to come up with a nice gift for him. Sorry my post sounds so negative.

Edited by LibertyH

IMHO, carrying debt is a need. I would be highly ticked at receiving an expensive gift, especially one that requires monthly payments heaped on top of any pre-existing balances that we were already working to pay down.

I'd return the phone and give him a homemade card with a promise to bake cookies every month.

ETA: it is very sweet of you to try to come up with a nice gift for him. Sorry my post sounds so negative.

I agree with this, other than the cookie thing. If you like that he can talk to his sister and play games, I think the iTouch is the way to go if you can afford it (not cookies). But if you are in debt ... yeah, you need to make paying that off a priority. Spending $200 on a toy won't make that easier, and REALLY, an extra $100/month phone bill won't.

IMHO, carrying debt is a need, and I would be highly ticked at receiving a gift that requires monthly payments on top of any pre-existing balances.

It's just Christmas debt, not long term. It will be paid of by March, I spread it out so no month becomes tight and we always have healthy savings.

We CAN afford it, he just doesn't like spending on himself.

It's just Christmas debt, not long term. It will be paid of by March, I spread it out so no month becomes tight and we always have healthy savings.

We CAN afford it, he just doesn't like spending on himself.

I had no desire for an iPhone, no credit debt, and I'd never spend that on myself; I'm practical and would much rather put the money towards extra payments on something or a purchase for the home/family. I don't need toys, am generally not tech-y, and for the most part I hate this mobile phone culture and the idiots it seems to have turned everyone into.

My husband bought me an iPhone for my birthday anyhow. He likes for us to have the same phone, for whatever reason. I was annoyed. Then a month later once I started figuring out all the stuff I could do with it, I told him I'm glad he got it for me :D. I didn't know I wanted one, until I had it LOL. And I hate anything Apple, so that's sayin' something.

I vote you gift it, and brace for a lukewarm reception (that'll likely turn to a boil in time).

I agree with this, other than the cookie thing. If you like that he can talk to his sister and play games, I think the iTouch is the way to go if you can afford it (not cookies). But if you are in debt ... yeah, you need to make paying that off a priority. Spending $200 on a toy won't make that easier, and REALLY, an extra $100/month phone bill won't.

The bill only goes up $30 for the data package. And I guess I should have been more clear, we're not in large debt, just what was spent over the holidays. We have a healthy savings and other than house/cars carry little in debt (under $1000 during most of the year).

I got dh a kindle fire for Christmas even though I thought he would be upset about the expense, but it turns out he loves it and is very happy that I got it for him. We could afford it and there is no monthly commitment. I would get it for him! He will likely love the phone even if he is shocked at the price at first.

I would give it to him. I wanted to get my dh one for Christmas but Verizon was sold out in my area. He may be shocked but I think your dh would love it. Most guys are closet geeks.

Let us know how it goes. We both have iphones and LOVE them. Our bill is not much more for two than it was for one.

He likes it, and thinks it was really nice of me to give up some of my stuff to buy it for him. He thinks we should sell it on ebay, double our money and go snowboarding. :glare: Would that be fun? Yes, but we can do that anyway!! Right now it's still in the box, I think it will take a couple days to get him to use it.

he also says that though he'd love to facetime his sister on his phone, it's just as easy to do it on mine. Of course, the last time they facetimed together it went on for HOURS and I really, really, wanted my phone back. :001_smile:

Anyway, here's to hoping he keeps it!! At least he wasn't ticked about the cost.