Menu

A new comment about homeschooling.

I'll bet they'd totally freak out if they knew my DD has been doing the minimum since November, because she had so many performances and rehearsals leading up to Christmas, then a vacation. So we've had about 6 weeks of reading books, playing games, baking cookies, listening to recordings, and lots of field trips, but no forward progress in actual curriculum.

It's been nice :).

Yes, and we get up at 5am on Christmas morning so they can get all their school in before we unwrap presents! :glare: Who cares if Christmas fell on a Sunday......we school every day anyway!

I got the opposite comments....."Well, you ARE taking off for two weeks at Christmas aren't you?"

I feel like I have to defend that we took a TWO WEEK vacation in November for Disney, so no, we aren't taking off a full 2 weeks.

Dawn

The things people say!

Over the holidays, dh got grilled by his grandmother and family about homeschooling so he asked me to lightly school this week. We might take vacation in January and February so I don't mind adding in some school now. By the time the neighborhood kids are ready to play, my children are done with their work .

Some homeschool moms do work their kids over Christmas break. One mom (who very rarely still posts here) brought stacks of books to her in-laws' house over Christmas break a few years ago for mandatory reading. When her MIL (who was dying of cancer) protested and said the kids really should enjoy their holidays, this mom was INCENSED and posted here looking for sympathy. She didn't get any from me.

:lol:

I have one who won't start her day without math! I don't see that changing if we try that Beast Academy graphic novel math, I think it will only get worse. The same kid reads Sentence Island and D'aulaire's Greek Mythology for fun........I guess I should sit on her and MAKE her stop!

Maybe I have made school TOO fun?

:lol:

I'll bet they'd totally freak out if they knew my DD has been doing the minimum since November, because she had so many performances and rehearsals leading up to Christmas, then a vacation. So we've had about 6 weeks of reading books, playing games, baking cookies, listening to recordings, and lots of field trips, but no forward progress in actual curriculum.

This just about describes our November and December minus the rehearsals and performances. We've traveled and had relatives visit here so we've been doing school "lite" for about 6 weeks.

That sounds like the last 6 weeks at our house. We've accomplished about 2 weeks of school work. We actually are doing school this week.

<glances out at the boy sprawled over the table with his Miquon>

<kicks the 4 LOF that were in his Christmas stocking and have been read and reread since under the couch>

<throws teatowel over science experiments cluttering up the bench>

<shuts door on landform models drying in his bedroom>

This IS how the boy takes a holiday :lol:

Schools here don't go back until February... we have a lot of "not school" to get through yet.