Menu

need a name for

my laptop. my dd bought me a new one.:) (I like having computer geeky children) I've always had such 'great' names for my computer, like: mom's computer. we have a home network so it needs a name, and I'd like a pretty name, but I'm not creative that way. I asked 1dd - who excell's at coming up with names - but she's not being helpful.

suggestions please!

Think through your favourite sci-fi computers ;) Our first family computer, when I was a kid, was named Hal. It was a z100 that spent more time in pieces than together.

I love HAL. dave, I'm feeling much better now Dave. Please don't do that dave. dave? Dave?

Actually, you made me think of some of my favorite characters. one of the few dramas I watch is NCIS - and I immediately thought of Ziva. I love Ziva. or abby. . . .

eta: I have no idea what eliza is. I hear eliza and think of eliza doolittle. I guess I'm old.

We've had several computers named after mythological characters, or Greek or Celtic gods. My first iPod was Polyhymnia. Our iPhones have been Orac (another sci-fi computer), Ghostwheel (another one), and H.A.A.R.P. I'm working on a name for an iPad, now. I'm thinking of calling it TMA-1 (from 2001: A Space Odyssey).

But character names are good. Like I said we go for mythology, so Artemis, Helios, Athena, Calypso, Ariadne ... :)

A friend of ours named all of his computers after sites of Alexander the Great's big battles.

We've had several computers named after mythological characters, or Greek or Celtic gods. My first iPod was Polyhymnia. Our iPhones have been Orac (another sci-fi computer), Ghostwheel (another one), and H.A.A.R.P. I'm working on a name for an iPad, now. I'm thinking of calling it TMA-1 (from 2001: A Space Odyssey).

But character names are good. Like I said we go for mythology, so Artemis, Helios, Athena, Calypso, Ariadne ... :)

A friend of ours named all of his computers after sites of Alexander the Great's big battles.

Those are great ideas. Even though they're making me feel less than erudite, as I named my computer after a character in The Jeffersons. :)

My Macbook Pro is called MommyMac, to distinguish it from DS10's MiniMac and DS12's MacJunior (mine's also bigger than theirs, so it's 'Mommy' size). So, maybe something to do with its name? For example, Delia, if it's a Dell, etc?

Let us know what you decide. The naming of computers is a difficult matter, It isn't just one of your holiday games ... Wait, maybe that was cats.

Anyway, best wishes

Cassy