Menu

I am so tired

of being tired. I feel as if I am always telling my kids I am too tired to do something that they want to do. We are really busy (who isn't) and we are always on the go, but is it abnormal to feel tired? I feel like I am letting them down. No health issue, just plain worn out at the end of the day.

Ok, rant over.

Get your thyroid and hormones checked by a dr knowledgeable in bioidentical hormones! I can't say it enough!! My regular dr used to say "of course you're tired. you've got 4,5,6 etc kids." Since getting my thyroid and hormones treated, I feel SO. GOOD.! I didn't feel this good through my entire 30s! I'm still tired at night, but I have energy during the day! I can keep up with my kids again. It feel so nice!!

Beats me as to whether it's "normal"...! I feel pretty low-energy myself a lot of the time, too. I did get my thyroid levels checked and they came back a little low but not alarmingly so or to the point that would require medication, so I don't know if it's just one of those things as you get older or if it's just me or what.

Get your thyroid and hormones checked by a dr knowledgeable in bioidentical hormones! I can't say it enough!! My regular dr used to say "of course you're tired. you've got 4,5,6 etc kids." Since getting my thyroid and hormones treated, I feel SO. GOOD.! I didn't feel this good through my entire 30s! I'm still tired at night, but I have energy during the day! I can keep up with my kids again. It feel so nice!!

:iagree: I spent years thinking I was just a "low energy" person, until my low energy became no energy. Now that I've found my sweet spot in Armour dosing, I actually have an energy level that matches other people's.

I can't even describe how incredible I feel. (not like speedy, just like a normal, functional person)

Eta: Nance, my levels were "just a little low" to low normal range, too. That's not where my body can function.

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

All of the above and here are some more tips if you or anyone else is interested.

EAT MORE

Eat real food, as close to nature as possible. A great book is “Food Rules†by Michael Pollan. Think close to nature, think Mediterranean diet.

Make sure to eat a healthy and balanced breakfast. Aim for an energy-balancing mix of high-quality carbs, lean protein and healthy fats -- oatmeal with a serving of almonds, an egg white omelet with a slice of avocado and a side of berries, or even last night's leftovers.

Stay hydrated – drink lots of water

Besides drinking enough water and eating water-based fruits and vegetables throughout the day, aim for at least 1 serving of a potassium-rich food or drink -- such as avocado, coconut water, or a banana -- each day.

Dark chocolate contains the stimulant theobromine, which boosts energy without the jitters that can come from caffeine. Choose chocolate with at least 70 percent cacao.

Cumin boosts energy. It’s rich in iron, a mineral that combats fatigue by stimulating the production of red blood cells. It’s also anti-inflammatory and inhibits the buildup of harmful protein deposits in the brain to boost mental energy.

EAT LESS

Limit processed sugars and processed foods

Try going gluten-free for at least 3 weeks. See if you notice improvement. Many do.

SUPPLEMENTS

I try to take Carlson's Fish Oil daily. I don't know if this has any direct effect on energy, but I have read that it helps. I know that it's amongst the very best supplements that one can take for overall health. A good fish oil, such as Carslon’s is one of the best supplements you can take.

Green foods boost the body’s energy production. Many feel better by starting the day with a green drink. Green Magma is a great one.

If you're under 50, take at least 2,000 IU Vitamin D3 per day.

If you're 50 or over, take at least 5,000 IU per day of vitamin D3.

Always take your vitamin D with a fat-containing meal to ensure absorption.

Your need for vitamin D3 is affected by age, skin color, and the severity of any deficiency

B Complex

Eleuthero is a relative of ginseng, that’s proven to keep you going. This herb gives people mental stamina in situations that would normally burn them right out.

800 mg- 2 or 3 grams daily of dried eleuthero to aid concentration

Rhodiola rosea is an excellent addition to any stress-reduction program – along with exercise, daily meditation, prayer, more rest, a healthy diet, and specific supplements

• Increases energy

• Alleviates depression

• Helps with weight loss

• Relieves mental and physical fatigue

• Improves function of the thyroid, thymus, and adrenal glands

• Helps chemotherapy patients deal with depletion and exhaustion

• Stimulates brain chemical production – norepinephrine, dopamine, and serotonin – which all help you think and feel better

• Improves sleep

• Improves mental alertness

• Improves short-term memory

• Enhances weight loss

Reduces heart palpitations

A group of male doctors were given 170 mg of R. Rosea extract just one a day for 2 weeks. They had a great reduction in fatigue compared with doctors who took a placebo

Chemotherapy often leads to depletion and exhaustion.

150 mg of R. rosea extract twice a day can help relieve fatigue and normalize red and white blood cells

The amount of Rhodiola you need to take is not critical.

High or low amounts of this her both work.

Not all Rhodiola supplements are equally effective.

Any Rhodiola you buy should be standardized extract and say Rhodiola roesa on the label.

Nature’s Way

Planetary Formulas

HerbPharm

American ginseng (Panax quinquefolius)/Panax Ginseng:

Fewer tension-related aches and pains

Feeling more happiness

Better blood sugar control

Deeper sleep

Boost in brainpower

Heightens energy

Nourishes the entire Central Nervous System, helping it cope with changes in cortisol, estrogen, progesterone and other troublemaking hormones.

100-600 mg daily

Cancer patients who took 1000 mg daily for 8 weeks reported energy levels that were twice as high as those on a placebo.

Or ask your herbalist for a formula that combines all three of the above.

OTHER TIPS

Healthy lifestyle changes:

• exercise regularly – an outdoor walk helps immensely. Being outdoors is energizing. Do what you like, what you enjoy. For overall energy, the best are anything outdoors, rebounding, and yoga.

• sleep well

• manage your stress

• Having a thankful heart and positive attitude

• Avoiding negative thinking and complaining

Loss of energy is one of the many symptoms of a congested lymphatic system. Things that help to clear up the lymphatic system:

• Daily Rebounding

• Deep Breathing every day

• Dry Body Brushing every day - either before showering OR before exercise, whichever comes first

• Massage and/or Reflexology

Many yoga poses and the regular practice of yoga help relieve symptoms of fatigue. There are specific yoga poses that help deal with fatigue.

Don’t exercise within 2 hours of when you plan to sleep.

Acupuncture is a great way to relieve stress and improve function. Most people say they feel calm yet energized after acupuncture.

A bad mood can sap your energy because it keeps your mind busy ruminating. Substituting thoughts about what you have in your life, as opposed to what's missing, can help reverse the negative spiral.

Slap on a smile. Apply some bright lipstick. Wear a crisp, clean outfit instead of baggy sweats. If you fake energy until you feel it, soon enough your body will catch on.

The same ol' same ol' is more than boring -- it's an energy drain. Even small changes -- like taking an alternate route to work or making that morning jog an afternoon swim -- can make a difference.

Deep breathing is essential. Your lungs may hold an important clue to lagging energy, because fatigue is caused by a deficiency of oxygen in the cells. This is why if you have difficulty concentrating or suffer from fatigue, the first step for you to take could be taking a few deep breaths.

Frequent yawning or sighing can mean you need more oxygen.

Of all our organs, our lungs are the only ones we can control with our will. Your heart beats on its own. Our liver performs hundreds of different functions whenever they’re needed. But we can consciously fill our lungs with full breaths of air for increased energy or breathe slowly to calm ourselves down. Still, few of us breathe consciously. Take more control of your breath. It can directly affect your health and energy.

Clutter is a great big drag on your energy -- and not just because of all the stuff taking up space. So much of what ends up as clutter are tasks that we haven't finished or obligations we haven't been able to meet.

If it's time for a real workout, but you're dragging, -- researchers have found that matching the tempo of a workout to music with a strong, fast beat can increase one's capacity for exercise by 15 percent. Choose songs with 120 to 140 beats per minute (the norm for most pop and rock songs). "I Gotta Feeling" by the Black Eyed Peas, for instance, clocks in at 128 beats per minute.

The exercise-and-energy equation goes like this: The more active you are, the better your circulation. And the better your circulation, the easier it is for blood to transport oxygen and nutrients (fuel for the cells) to your muscles and brain. So take a walk. A brisk, 10-minute walk is enough to boost your energy level for up to two hours.

GOOD BOOKS TO LOOK INTO

Revive: Stop Feeling Spent and Start Living Again by Dr. Frank Lipman

Food Rules by Michael Pollan

The Anti-Cancer Book is THE best overall health book for everyone – not just for those who are concerned about cancer

456 Rules by Dr. Nan Fuchs

The Diet Cure by Julia Ross

TO GIVE INSTANT ENERGY

Brush your teeth when you feel tired. The minty-fresh feeling may help wake you up.

Drink a glass of water. Dehydration is often related to fatigue. I try to drink 1 glass of water upon waking up and after each bathroom trip. I stop drinking an hour or so before leaving the house. I also stop drinking around 6 or 7 PM at night.

Jumping Jacks

Walk around the block

Lie on bed with your head hanging off if you KWIM. Get all the blood circulating to your head.

Rinse for as long as you can tolerate in the coldest water that you can tolerate. Feels really good when the cold is on your back and spine. I would often jump in for a quick shower when I was tired during my student years. You can also alternate between hot/warm and ice cold.

Dunk your wrists in a bowl of water with ice cubes OR run them under a very cold faucet.

Peppermint oil-infused air reduces fatigue. Inhaling peppermint causes capillaries to constrict and then dilate, sending a rush of blood through the body, and, as a result, a rush of energizing oxygen.

Listening to whatever music you love

1 spoon of honey – honey will give you energy quickly and keep it there

POSSIBLE IODINE DEFICIENCY

Today's environment makes it almost impossible to get the amount of iodine you need.

First of all, there's very little iodine in the soil. So unless you're eating a ton of iodine-rich foods like kelp, seaweed and shellfish, you're not going to get much iodine from your diet.

Second, many salt companies have stopped adding iodine to table salt.

Third, food manufacturers have stopped using iodine in baked goods and are using bromine instead. Bromine competes with iodine to get into your cells. So the more bromine you consume, the less iodine you get. Unfortunately, many foods today (primarily baked goods) are loaded with bromine.

Fourth, our water supply contains chlorine and fluoride, both which compete with iodine to get into your cells.

And you can't avoid chlorine and fluoride simply by drinking filtered water. That's because you get a hefty dose any time you bathe, shower, soak in a hot tub, or swim in a swimming pool.

Fifth, most conventional doctors never test for iodine deficiency. They figure there's no need to test iodine levels when they can just test your thyroid function instead.

The problem with this is that the most widely used thyroid test, the TSH, is wildly inaccurate. Reason: While the TSH measures thyroid hormone, it can't tell the difference between active thyroid hormone with iodine and de-activated thyroid hormone with bromine or chlorine or fluorine! So the test shows you have plenty of thyroid hormone. But most of the thyroid hormone isn't doing its job!

Dr. Nan Fuchs wrote: I've had women come into my office who look like the poster child for underactive thyroid. They're overweight, they're losing their hair and eyebrows, their skin is dry, and they tell me they feel cold all the time. Yet when their doctor gave them a thyroid test, it came back normal!

When I put these women on iodine supplementation, their conditions improve dramatically. Their skin improves, they stop losing their hair, and they finally lose that excess weight — and keep it off.

Correcting an iodine deficiency also provides a whole host of other health benefits, including fighting fatigue and giving you greater energy

You may need 1 to 4 tablets of Ioderal, a combination of 5 mg of iodine and 7.5 mg of potassium iodide. Additional research finds that vitamin C improves the transport of iodine in the body. Take 1000-3000 mg of vitamin C daily.

Start off slowly over about 4-6wk period. 1 pill for 30 days

Then 2 for 30 days

Then maybe 3 for 30 days

Then 1 in morning and 1 in evening for 30 days

Can then go back to taking 1 or 2 a day to maintain

Your body will know....listen to it...

One Iodoral tablet provides 12.5 milligrams of iodine/iodide which is about the amount the average Japanese consumed in 1964 in their everyday diet.

Excellent information!

One more thought... If your thyroid and everything else checks out... Maybe check your adrenals.

I thought my thyroid issues were not being addressed properly for a long time - spent months and months tweaking. Finally did an adrenal panel from Diagnos-Techs (the 24 hours saliva panel), and wow, were my adrenals off. Sometimes just some mild adrenal support can help.

Thankfully, we found out that I have Addison's Disease (which is on the less-than-mild end of the spectrum) before I went into a crisis (which can be quite serious), and the best part is that now that I supplement for adrenal hormones... Wow. Life is good again.

Thanks for all the great info. I know I need to eat better, and I probably drink waaaaaay too much coffee. I am thinking that I also need to add some yoga, which I have never done, as I feel I need the time to slow down and breath. I also feel as if I constantly need to stretch and I think increasing exercise is a must.

Last time I was at the Dr's, they tested me for a lot (for other reasons) and nothing out of the ordinary came up. I think it is just time for a lifestyle change.

But honestly, sometimes I just wonder if I am being lazy and just need to get up and move!!!! Of course, having said this, the reason it took me more than a day to get back to this thread is that we were on the go ALL DAY yesterday and was not home at all until bedtime.

Now, off for another jam-packed day!

You're most welcome everyone and thank you all for your kind words. Those tips are great reminders for me also. I seriously need to make some improvements after the holidays ;). Have fallen a bit off the band-wagon. :glare:

I am thinking that I also need to add some yoga, which I have never done, as I feel I need the time to slow down and breath. I also feel as if I constantly need to stretch and I think increasing exercise is a must.

Yes, yoga, stretching, deep breathing - just regular and, if possible, daily exercise, are really helpful in this area. :)

• 3 weeks later...