Menu

6 weeks postpartum, bleeding, Methergine, questions

I'm hoping you ladies will be knowledgeable about this because I've never dealt with it.

I am 6 weeks postpartum and I'm still bleeding. I haven't bled a lot since I delivered....it's just been like a light period. Some days I don't bleed at all. Others I do.... But not enough to fill a pad. But more than just spotting.

Today I had my 6 week check up and my midwife did a pelvic exam and said my uterus wasn't as small as what she'd like it to be. So she prescribed me methergine to contract my uterus, as well as an antibiotic (Suprax, I think). I'm very nervous about taking new drugs. And I read that the methergine can sometimes cause horrid cramps....enough that some people are prescribed Percocet with it. My midwife just told me to take 600 mg of Motrin though. I'm also leery of taking anything while breastfeeding. Heck, I'm leery of drugs even when not breastfeeding.

What would you guys do? Any experience with these drugs? Anyone else's uterus still not normal after delivery? What happened?

I'm wondering if I should call them and request an ultrasound instead. Although, I'm not sure what that information would do for me.

She wants to see me back next week. Sorry this is sort of choppy....typing on my phone is hard.

My understanding is that for a nursing mom, one week is the max to take it. if you're still bleeding at 6-weeks, giving it is weighing risk and benefit of the small amount that will pass in your breastmilk with your risk for infection, anemia, and other complications if your uterus is still not closed, you're still bleeding and it's not fully back to pre-pregnancy size.

ETA: I would try to get in to see an OB-GYN to have some blood work done and get a peek inside (vaginal ultrasound) before starting the prescription - something else may be going on, or something else might work as effectively.

ETA: I would try to get in to see an OB-GYN to have some blood work done and get a peek inside (vaginal ultrasound) before starting the prescription - something else may be going on, or something else might work as effectively.

:iagree:

The midwife that I see is part of a practice that does include an OB. I just usually see the midwife because I prefer her bedside manner. She did say that I could go on the pill but it would drop my milk supply.

I wonder if I should call them back tomorrow and ask for an ultrasound. I really dislike confronting people. I'm pretty shy about things like that.

I'm 7 weeks PP and I'm still spotting. I didn't spot this long after either of my other two so I've been worried about it. At my 6 week check last week, my OB said that it's normal, although he did say my uterus was back to regular size so maybe that's why it's different? I would probably request an u/s because I'd want to know why it was back to normal. But I understand about not wanting to confront people...I feel like I should say something to my OB about still spotting and yet don't want to because I'm afraid he'd just blow me off and say it's normal again.

I wouldn't have an issue with methergine - IIRC, it's similar to pitocin. But I would NOT take the pill because when I took it after DD was born it greatly affected my milk supply.

The one thing he did say was I needed to take it easier because doing too much will prolong bleeding. But with 2 older children, there's no such thing as taking it easy (as I'm sure you've discovered too!).

Congratulations on the new baby!!!

This is what happened to me after my first birth. I hemmoraged after delivery, again a few weeks later, and at my 6 week appointment my uterus was also not as contracted as the midwife wanted. She prescribed methyrgin (my spelling is atrocious today, sorry.) So I took it and that uterus sure did contract...it contracted and expelled clots like there was no tomorrow. I immediately started bleeding heavily and nearly passed out before DH could get home to take me to the hospital where I continued to bleed for about 6 hours. I remember my blood pressure going very, very low at one point. It was kind of scary. Finally they were on the brink of performing a D and C and then I stopped bleeding so they let me go home before they did it. I didn't have any further problems, although I did continue to bleed until week 9. Obviously, it wasn't the greatest experience. I'd be wary of methyrgin!

I have still been spotting (very lightly, a tiny bit every couple of days) at 6w with two of my babies, even though the uterus was small and everything was fine, but actual bleeding, even like a light period, would be concerning, especially if the uterus has not shrunk. I do think methergine is pretty safe to take, even while nursing; it's typically what they do instead of pitocin if you're not contracting properly post-delivery. This says it's a category L2 drug (for short-term use), according to Hale: http://forums.ivillage.com/t5/Mom-s-Questions/question-about-lactation-and-m-c/td-p/19553725 However, I'd want to know if there was a clot that needed to pass, or a piece of retained placenta; the methergine could be effective in making that happen, but at 6w, I think I'd want to have a look to be sure.

I won't be the slightest bit surprised to be in the same boat in a cpl of wks.

I posted before that my uterus wasn't as it should be, and your experience sounds bang on for what is going on w/me as well.

Reminds me, I need to book my 6 wk appt. Dunno if I'll get in before the holidays though, I suspect I'll have to wait for the New Year...

Thanks everyone. I think I just won't take the meds today and call them in the morning and just explain myself and ask if I could come in for an ultrasound to see if there's anything to be seen in my uterus.

I read online where it is possible for the med to cause a dip in milk supply. I definitely do not want that. Hopefully I can avoid taking it. Although, I can't keep bleeding....even if it's lightly.