Menu

Grover! I got your package! What is Turkish Delight?

All you wonderful ladies from different countries that have been sending coins for my boys; you all ROCK.

You have no idea how excited they're gonna be when they get the coin set.

Grover just sent me coins. She had tried to send them once, but they wouldn't go through customs for some reason. So she repackaged them by taping the coins between two Turkish Delights. Which is adorable. But I've no idea what a Turkish Delight is, and I want to wait until dh gets home so he can see them before I open them.

Thank you so much! :001_smile:

Too funny. I am eating some right now!

It is chocolate covered jelly. Not like jam-jelly but more like the consistency of a wine gum.

So delicious.......

The children in The Lion, the Witch & The Wardrobe are offered magical turkish delight from the White Witch :)

I don't think folks in the States say "wine gum." So, interpretation for that part: gummy candies, like Swedish fish, gummy Lifesavers, etc.

That said, I've never had Turkish Delight.

I don't think folks in the States say "wine gum." So, interpretation for that part: gummy candies, like Swedish fish, gummy Lifesavers, etc.

That said, I've never had Turkish Delight.

I wouldn't say Turkish delight is exactly like gummy candy (or wine gums). It has a softer, stickier texture. And I've never seen it covered in chocolate but usually covered in powdered sugar.

I'm a big fan of Turkish delight, especially rose flavored or with pistachios. Yum!

Oh dear.

Well since there are two, the boys and I decided to open one and try it.

Um, this is not something we have here in the US.

It was interesting. :D

It was like a slighty spicy strawberry gummy bar covered in chocolate. I can still taste the black licorice/anise flavor.

It was fun to try something new! :tongue_smilie:

I wouldn't say Turkish delight is exactly like gummy candy (or wine gums). It has a softer, stickier texture. And I've never seen it covered in chocolate but usually covered in powdered sugar.

:iagree:

It's not just Canadian.. we can get it here in the UK as well. My grandpa used to love it. (He passed away when I was a teen.)

I'm a big fan of Turkish delight, especially rose flavored or with pistachios. Yum!

:iagree: I love it! It used to be my treat when I went to the market, a packet of delicious, soft powdery sweetness. But they use wheaten cornflour for dusting :( I need to learn to make it.

Many years back, when my boss traveled to the Middle East, she brought me some Turkish Delight. It was very tasty, and I don't know of anything quite like it. The texture was a bit like orange slice candy,

605033%202-$3%20Orange%20Slices.jpg

only somewhat stickier. I think the kind I had was rose flavored with pistachios, and it was definitely covered in powdered sugar (not chocolate) but the flavor didn't stand out, except that it was sweet.

I'm glad it arrived this time! Apparently I'm not allowed to send cash in the mail without registering it, which is why it came back the first time. Turkish Delight is... the right size to hide the coins in between :lol:

I think "real" Turkish Delight is not chocolate covered.

Anyone wanna do a candy swap? I'll send you weird candy from NZ and you can send me boxes full of laffy taffy NOM! :lol::lol:

Yum! I've never seen any covered with chocolate, either. And, I can't stand the rose flavored ones! They taste like grandma perfume! But some flavors are really yummy!

And, I've never heard the term "wine gum".

This was my exact thought when I tried Turkish delight. I was so excited to taste it b/c of The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe. And I was so disappointed when it tasted like grandma perfume. Blech! I would love to try it again if there's some out there that taste better.

My Aussie best friend and I do candy swaps-well food really. I used to send her Cap'n Crunch, A-1 steak sauce, taco bell sauce, and Reese's Pieces. In return I would get Crunchies, Violet Crumbles and and Vegimite for my brother. Australia has become much more civilized and now has a few of those things, or she's grown accustomed to living without them after 13 years. I've found an import shop for my sweets.