Menu

For WTM Dog Owners....an PSA....

HI there,

{uh, that would be "a" PSA!!!! Typed to quickly!

This is circulating on a few of my dog lists. There are a few new dog owners here, (and soon to be, right Nakia?!) as well as a lot of us old-timers, so with the holidays approaching, I thought this was worth passing along.

If your dog should do the unthinkable and chew up and swallow any part of glass Christmas tree ornaments, one thing that can help protect their stomach and intestines from the worst of the glass damage is to dip a few real cotton balls (not the synthetic kind) in heavy cream and feed them to the dog. The fibers from the cotton will wrap around those shards of glass and help it to pass more safely through the digestive tract. For the Christmases that I've had young puppies around, I've made up a few emergency kits consisting of a ziploc bag with five cotton balls soaked in cream and stashed them in the freezer. They thaw quickly in your hands and are a good safety net to have on hand. Thankfully, I've only had to use them once.

Hopefully no one needs that tip, but it's an easy thing to keep on hand for the holidays.

astrid

Good to know! At this point, our brand new puppy doesn't get one moment when she isn't constantly being watched. Not a second. This won't be changing anytime soon! If she isn't being watched, she is in her cage. I shudder to imagine the things that would happen if we didn't follow these procedures.

HI there,

{uh, that would be "a" PSA!!!! Typed to quickly!

This is circulating on a few of my dog lists. There are a few new dog owners here, (and soon to be, right Nakia?!) as well as a lot of us old-timers, so with the holidays approaching, I thought this was worth passing along.

If your dog should do the unthinkable and chew up and swallow any part of glass Christmas tree ornaments, one thing that can help protect their stomach and intestines from the worst of the glass damage is to dip a few real cotton balls (not the synthetic kind) in heavy cream and feed them to the dog. The fibers from the cotton will wrap around those shards of glass and help it to pass more safely through the digestive tract. For the Christmases that I've had young puppies around, I've made up a few emergency kits consisting of a ziploc bag with five cotton balls soaked in cream and stashed them in the freezer. They thaw quickly in your hands and are a good safety net to have on hand. Thankfully, I've only had to use them once.

Hopefully no one needs that tip, but it's an easy thing to keep on hand for the holidays.

astrid

Thank you for this. My sister is bringing home a little beagle in the next week or so. I will pass this along (in addition to encouragement to hang only her wood, metal and plastic ornaments this year).

Thank you! I never would have thought of cotton balls. I have always been fortunate enough to have (relatively) calm shelties, but our last addition is strung tighter than a banjo string. Our first Christmas with her, we didn't even put up a large tree for fear that it she would topple it and get hurt! We used a little 3-ft. table-top tree with jingle bells. She has since calmed down (a bit) and we can put up the real tree, but we still use plastic and metal ornaments.

I saw that was making rounds but I really don't think it's vet recommended. This was mentioned over on the COTH boards and one vet mentioned something like "as long as you don't mind my doing surgery to remove the cotton balls along with the sharp object!" I think plain white bread in small doses was mentioned-bread swells in a dog's stomach so only give in small doses- and lots of water.

I saw that was making rounds but I really don't think it's vet recommended. This was mentioned over on the COTH boards and one vet mentioned something like "as long as you don't mind my doing surgery to remove the cotton balls along with the sharp object!" I think plain white bread in small doses was mentioned-bread swells in a dog's stomach so only give in small doses- and lots of water.

When my dog ate plate shards the emergency vet recommended cotton balls.

When my dog ate plate shards the emergency vet recommended cotton balls.

I got the same recommendation when Milo ate a chicken wing bone with an extremely sharp point when he was a puppy. Seriously, that thing was a miniature sword and I was petrified. He ate up those cotton balls and it worked beautifully. It wasn't the highlight of my life to monitor his cottony poo the next day but I did see the bone with the cotton packed all around it. :ack2: