Menu

Freakin' out a bit! How do I prepare my dd for a month long trip to Spain?

So, she was accepted into the language institute, the tickets are bought, and the tuition is paid, the passport is here. Now what???

How do I help her get ready--I don't know what she'll need!!! I mean, all I can come up with is...the outlets are different there, right???

Here are some of the things I am wondering about:

*do kids attending college in Spain have a similar dress code to US kids?

*What are some ideas for gifts for host families and professors? (if this is even done there)

*Will her phone work there?

*Will her debit card work there?

*What kind of shopping is there in Seville? (She has a romantic idea of packing very lightly and shopping there.???)

*How many millions of things am I forgetting of which I am not even aware????

If you have any tips for us, we thank you kindly in advance!

Ask your cell phone provider, you will probably have to have the coverage 'turned on' if they even provide coverage in Spain. Fortunately, it is not difficult to get a temporary cell phone there. My dd20 has a cell phone for Italy but we use skype to stay in touch. I believe you can access skype on an iphone and not use the phone connection feature (no minutes used) but you will need advice from someone more technical than me. :lol:

Credit Card/Debit card - Call your bank or credit union and let them know the dates of travel so that they don't freeze the account. It is very easy, they will also have a phone number to reach their fraud department when travelling abroad (usually a collect call, no money required) in case she has trouble while she is there. I would convert some cash ahead of time (go through your bank) but most places seem to take the debit card just fine (the bank does the conversion and charges a small fee %)

I will post again if I remember anything else useful.

Clark Howard's website should answer questions about phones and debit cards.

I have not heard of him. I'll definitely check out his site. Thanks!

Ask your cell phone provider, you will probably have to have the coverage 'turned on' if they even provide coverage in Spain. Fortunately, it is not difficult to get a temporary cell phone there. My dd20 has a cell phone for Italy but we use skype to stay in touch. I believe you can access skype on an iphone and not use the phone connection feature (no minutes used) but you will need advice from someone more technical than me. :lol:

Credit Card/Debit card - Call your bank or credit union and let them know the dates of travel so that they don't freeze the account. It is very easy, they will also have a phone number to reach their fraud department when travelling abroad (usually a collect call, no money required) in case she has trouble while she is there. I would convert some cash ahead of time (go through your bank) but most places seem to take the debit card just fine (the bank does the conversion and charges a small fee %)

I will post again if I remember anything else useful.

We are so non-technical that we don't even own a smartphone. I know, how do we get by, right? :lol: I found out we might be able to purchase a temp phone through the school. That sounds easy, and right now I need easy!

Thanks for the head's up re: the bank!

We are so non-technical that we don't even own a smartphone.

It's worse than that, m'dear. You don't even TEXT. We could say in touch better if you did 'cuz I can text on breaks during work.

I'm so excited for your dd, but I need to call. I want to hear all about it!!

It's worse than that, m'dear. You don't even TEXT. We could say in touch better if you did 'cuz I can text on breaks during work.

I'm so excited for your dd, but I need to call. I want to hear all about it!!

We are completely archaic, I know. Love me anyway! I just got caller ID a couple of months ago. :lol:

Come on, don't you have any overseas travel tips for me????

Grace just said she wants to get homing pigeons to send messages with your family! :lol::lol: I bet your kids would go for that!

We are completely archaic, I know. Love me anyway! I just got caller ID a couple of months ago. :lol:

Come on, don't you have any overseas travel tips for me????

Grace just said she wants to get homing pigeons to send messages with your family! :lol::lol: I bet your kids would go for that!

Oh, the would be cool! Yes, they'd love that. I'm glad you posted; I had a bad day and wish I could have called, but have been too busy with work, and tired. Today? My son turned in his first college research paper without having me look it over first. He couldn't figure out the font formatting in the "notepad" program he created it in (which is :glare: itself), so he turned it in in 8-9 pt. font when it was supposed to be 12 pt. That means his "five page" paper was actually about 8 pages; it LOOKS like five pages, but has teeny type. Grrrrr. Does he think I've been checking in with him regularly over the last two months, and asking to see his paper before he turns it in, because I'm just nosey? He was getting an 87% in this class and the paper is 1/5 of the grade. I so hope he hasn't blown his grade. What is doof. A doof I still love.

ANYWAY (sorry for the bunny hop) -- travel tips. You realize it's been 17 years since I've been overseas, right? ::THUD:: They didn't have cell phones and debit cards for the masses back then, so I can't help you there. If the cell phone thing doesn't work out, she should be able to get a phone card? (Not from me anymore.). Oh, tell her to be bold with trying to converse. It's better to be a Susi (the gal we lived with in Bolivia) and try, even if you say it wrong, than to be a Milovany and not try very much at all because you don't want to say it wrong. In outdoor type markets, it's probably fine to dicker on prices. Tell her not to ask for "neighbors" at the meat market when she's really wanting "bacon." :001_huh: What else? Sure, take small gifts. Better safe than sorry! Pretty notecards with pictures of the Northwest? Some small Boehms or See's candy packages? I'm trying to think of the types of things the international students we've had over have given us. If I think of anything else, I'll post again. I know I wasn't much help.

Some small Boehms or See's candy packages? I'm trying to think of the types of things the international students we've had over have given us. If I think of anything else, I'll post again. I know I wasn't much help.

Ugh. Sorry you had a bad day. But it was so nice of you to sorta kinda chat with me here tonight! (And good for W, even if he had a doofy moment! He's doing well!)

I was thinking along the lines of Boehm's and such. But do you think Europeans might just roll their collective eyes at American chocolate? And yet, I don't think bringing some salmon along would be quite the thing! And they might not even let an apple into the country! I've wondered about beeswax candles? A dear friend is making and selling them now, and I would love to support her business, plus I just love beeswax candles!

It is my experience that kids tend to dress a little bit nicer there than here. No sloppy pajamas to class, or anything like that. Think almost preppy.

*What are some ideas for gifts for host families and professors? (if this is even done there)

I love the beeswax candle idea, but also think of something that is uniquely American - local sports teams hats/shirts, regional cookbooks, touristy picture books, etc.

yes, it will, and you do NOT want it to. She can skype from a computer or buy an inexpensive pre-paid cell phone when she gets there. Usually, these prepaid cell phones allow incoming calls for free, and you can buy skype to landline time for something like $0,03/min so YOU can call HER.

Yes, it will, and you do NOT want it to. Your bank will charge you superextra money when you charge something in another country because they have to convert it to Euro, for which they have an exchange rate, and then charge some sort of convenience fee. And the ATMs have ridiculous fees associated with them.

Look into Travelex's Cash Passport. It is free, you can reload it here in the states if she needs more money, you can have two of them linked to the same account in case you lose one, it costs $0,75 to use the atm if you need it and when you return, they will refund the money back to you without charging you an exchange fee. No, I do not work for them. Plus make sure she has exchanged her money here, it's easier and cheaper. Send her with some Euro and some usd.

OH! Almost forgot, the cash passport should have the chip, your debit card may not, and if she wants to rent a bike, or something silly like that, she will have to have a credit card with a chip!

Shoe inserts. Get them here, I swear they don't sell them in Europe!

If she has never been abroad, chances are she will be sick for a bit after a couple of weeks, so be aware of that and make sure she takes care of herself. Also, be aware of pickpockets/purse snatching. Use a shoulder purse, keep the flap facing in towards your body, etc, etc. Gypsies can be scary and pushy - overwhelming if you have never seen anything like that before - ignore them as much as you can is dd's advice, but it is sometimes difficult.

Oh! And yes, the outlets are different, they sell inexpensive converters at Target. The current is different, also, but if you have modern stuff, it shouldn't be a problem. Ancient hair dryers may burn out, modern hair straighteners should be ok.

HTH, or at least gives you some new info!

Edited by Ailaena

It is my experience that kids tend to dress a little bit nicer there than here. No sloppy pajamas to class, or anything like that. Think almost preppy.

I love the beeswax candle idea, but also think of something that is uniquely American - local sports teams hats/shirts, regional cookbooks, touristy picture books, etc.

yes, it will, and you do NOT want it to. She can skype from a computer or buy an inexpensive pre-paid cell phone when she gets there. Usually, these prepaid cell phones allow incoming calls for free, and you can buy skype to landline time for something like $0,03/min so YOU can call HER.

Yes, it will, and you do NOT want it to. Your bank will charge you superextra money when you charge something in another country because they have to convert it to Euro, for which they have an exchange rate, and then charge some sort of convenience fee. And the ATMs have ridiculous fees associated with them.

Look into Travelex's Cash Passport. It is free, you can reload it here in the states if she needs more money, you can have two of them linked to the same account in case you lose one, it costs $0,75 to use the atm if you need it and when you return, they will refund the money back to you without charging you an exchange fee. No, I do not work for them. Plus make sure she has exchanged her money here, it's easier and cheaper. Send her with some Euro and some usd.

OH! Almost forgot, the cash passport should have the chip, your debit card may not, and if she wants to rent a bike, or something silly like that, she will have to have a credit card with a chip!

Shoe inserts. Get them here, I swear they don't sell them in Europe!

If she has never been abroad, chances are she will be sick for a bit after a couple of weeks, so be aware of that and make sure she takes care of herself. Also, be aware of pickpockets/purse snatching. Use a shoulder purse, keep the flap facing in towards your body, etc, etc. Gypsies can be scary and pushy - overwhelming if you have never seen anything like that before - ignore them as much as you can is dd's advice, but it is sometimes difficult.

Oh! And yes, the outlets are different, they sell inexpensive converters at Target. The current is different, also, but if you have modern stuff, it shouldn't be a problem. Ancient hair dryers may burn out, modern hair straighteners should be ok.

HTH, or at least gives you some new info!

Thank you, thank you.

I have to ask...what are shoe inserts? Will she develop a sudden need to have these once she is in Spain even though she doesn't need them now?

So, she was accepted into the language institute, the tickets are bought, and the tuition is paid, the passport is here. Now what???

How do I help her get ready--I don't know what she'll need!!! I mean, all I can come up with is...the outlets are different there, right???

Here are some of the things I am wondering about:

*What are some ideas for gifts for host families and professors? (if this is even done there) A good potato peeler for her host mom. When I was there eons ago my host mom only had one because a former student sent it to her.

*What kind of shopping is there in Seville? (She has a romantic idea of packing very lightly and shopping there.???) Things are generally more expensive.

*How many millions of things am I forgetting of which I am not even aware???? Have you considered a Europass (or whatever that was called) so that she can travel over the weekends?

Thank you, thank you.

I have to ask...what are shoe inserts? Will she develop a sudden need to have these once she is in Spain even though she doesn't need them now?

I didn't need inserts, but I walked a little over 3 miles round trip to school and I spent most of the afternoons exploring on foot.

I would have her get a phone there. I know the international plan on our phone was ridiculously expensive. So, if she's planning on using it often, get a temp phone over there through a local provider.

Does she have a laptop? That would be great for communicating with family back home so she doesn't have to worry about international calls.

Take a little bit more clothing than she thinks she will need. We stayed with my brother, who had a washer, but it was so unbelievably slow - it took hours to do 2 loads of laundry. I was able to wear clothing more than once, but laundry day was just that. All day laundry.

Do get her some euro to travel with. Getting off the plane and having no cash was not a pretty sight. With jet lag, foreign language, plain old confusion it was hard for me to get the exchange figured out and I spent WAY more than I should have at the airport getting cash.

How exciting! I can't wait for these kinds of adventures with my kids!

Oh, how exciting. Please let me know how it goes and any tips you have to share as my dd is going to Spain next year.

Thank you for all of your info, but especially this part! I'm taking notes!

You've gotten good tips.

When we lived in Europe, we used debit cards and American Expresss in many, many places. One of our debit cards worked well in the ATMs, but not the other. Check with your bank to see what networks their debit cards work with.

I know she is going to a language school, so this may or may not really get her. Almost everyone I know gets in a tizzy over language. It's frustrating to arrive and not understand anything. Most people wear themselves out fighting the language for the first couple of weeks. If she can let the foreign words wash over her and not fight to understand everything for the first few days, she will be happier.

That said, I do heartily second the idea of using as much of her new language as possible. Most natives in whatever countries I've traveled to are thrilled when you try to speak their language. And very helpful as you learn.

Take Tylenol and any over the counter meds she uses often. Pharmacies are different in Europe...quite good...but there is something comforting about being able to take a Sudafed when that's what you are used to. Most toiletries (shampoo, deoderant, toothpaste) are available in local supermarkets.

Grab a Rick Steves travel guide for Spain and read up. He also has a general book on travel in Europe. 'Europe Through the Back Door.' Lots of good info there.

Tell her to SAVOR every experience!

Happy travels!

I do think the girls dress a little more nicely than girls here do. But, she should definitely have comfortable walking shoes for getting to and from class, and all the sightseeing and general walking (Europeans walk everywhere!). Then, some cute, but also comfortable, evening shoes for when she and her friends explore a little of the night life in Seville! Spaniards eat dinner very late and can party all night!

I second the recommendation to get her some Euros before she goes. Having to deal with withdrawing or exchanging money soon after arrival is not fun.

How fun for her!

I agree it would be fun for her to buy some clothes there. But she might want to check prices before she goes. At the current exchange rate the prices might be a shock. She can check the Spanish websites for Zara (fast fashion) and el Corte Ingles (department store). She could also google or check some student-oriented guidebooks for recommendation on used clothing stores -- I don't know if there is much of that in Seville. I'm guessing people dress very well they as they do in most European cities.

For me, I'd definitely want to make sure I had internet access. There are a million questions about life in a new country that a web search can help with.

Congratulations to your daughter! What a wonderful opportunity!

When I was a student in Spain, I remember we had to bring a sweater or something with us if we wanted to go in a church because our shoulders and maybe knees had to be covered. Our heads did not. This was a problem because it was during the summer and it was hotter than I have ever been in my life. The heat of a summer in Spain almost did me in. I am a New England girl and not made for the Mediterranean summer.

Oh, and people wore much less on the beach. That was kind of fun. :lol:

My best advice for students abroad is bring half as much 'stuff' as you think you will need and twice as much money. If she can keep her bags light, she will be a happier traveler.

Spain is wonderful! I hope she has a great time.

Thank you, thank you.

Inserts may not be the right word... Those Dr Scholl's things that make your shoes more comfortable? Or support your arch? After a couple of weeks, dd's feet hurt and she couldn't find anything like that (and she had never had a need for them before).

Of course, I have no idea how much your dd will be walking, so good, sturdy shoes may be plenty. Plus, a month isnt TOO long. Although, I bought dd a new pair of pumas, converse and keens before she left and in only 6 weeks she literally wore holes through the soles of the pumas and destroyed the converse. The keens held out great, though! :D However, every afternoon was spent standing/walking around a museum and her and her friends walked EVERYWHERE as often as possible, so I was not too surprised.

That is awesome. I spent a summer in Colombia as a high school junior, after having studying FRENCH for 4 years! But that was ok, it was hard but I figured it out. My parents gave me an American express card for "emergencies" (if you do that be sure to explain what is acceptable and what is not!!!!) and traveler's checks. There were no cell phones then, and that was ok. I think I talked to my mom once that summer, but that was ok too. A gift to the family is important but doesn't have to be expensive, I recommend something representative of your state/country but don't worry about it, you're not going to really know the family well enough to send the perfect gift so it'll be hit or miss anyway.

Edited by rocketgirl

Oh this brings back memories of my trip to Spain some 30 years ago. Yeah, I'm that old. :tongue_smilie: Things have changed a lot since then, but here are the things I remember:

Don't drink the water. Not even a little bit to brush your teeth. My roommate was very ill for nearly a week of our trip.

Only bring enough stuff to fit in a carry-on bag. Your dd's situation might be different as she'll be staying in one place. We were on the move and were advised by our chaperone (who'd made the trip a number of times) to bring just 3 outfits that we could handwash and air dry. Our half of the group did pretty much this, but the other half of the group (from another state) brought their giant suitcases and multiple appliances. It was rather a pain for them.

Carry an over-the-shoulder, zip-up purse that you hold in front of your body. One woman in our group got her passport stolen on the subway.

The lifestyle is different--siesta and very late dinners. The people are very friendly. Some are too friendly. One gal (I think she was about 20) was romanced by one of the waiters at our hotel. She went on a date with him and discovered a couple days later he was married. Our chaperone said it wasn't uncommon for married men to go on dates with other women. (I don't know if this is still considered the norm, but it was at the time.)

Your dd will need to find out the customs for tipping in restaurants and public bathrooms. Tipping the bathroom matron was new to me.

For me seeing beggars on the street was also new and a bit startling.

Oh, and she should be prepared for interruptions to her cycle. I had been fairly regular up until my trip, then suddenly my . came two weeks early. I was NOT prepared.

Other than that I had a great time. I hope your dd does, too!

Do fill us in! How did you find this language school and how old is your dd? 18? Do tell, do tell!

Margaret

What program is this?

Do you have a link or is it thru her school?

Thanks!

Of course, I found out about it where I get all my good tips and information...right here at the WTM general board!

Let's see if I can dig up the thread...http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297122&highlight=seville+spain (post #10).

We chose this option because we liked the idea of her first trip abroad being limited to a month, this program was within her budget, and it didn't require her to be enrolled in college. Most of the foreign exchange programs we looked at were too costly for us.

Oh this brings back memories of my trip to Spain some 30 years ago. Yeah, I'm that old. :tongue_smilie: Things have changed a lot since then, but here are the things I remember:

Don't drink the water. Not even a little bit to brush your teeth. My roommate was very ill for nearly a week of our trip.

These days, the water should be just fine in Spain.