Menu

What has been the final decision regarding logic grammar

now that ALL will not be available.....

I have 4th graders doing FLL 3 right now..next year FLL 4 they will be in 5th grade.....

then what for 6th grade?

Those of you who have received your R and Staff, Hake, GWG, VIE....verdicts ?

I need in on this advice too.

We went back to R&S. We had done FLL 1-4 followed by R&S 5 (in 5th grade). She missed FLL, so when the unproofed lessons of ALL came out, we did them. After it was discontinued, we went back to R&S 6. I've used R&S through levels 9-10 for my older dc and have been pleased with the results.

If I were in your (the OP's) shoes, I would go from FLL 4 in 5th grade to R&S 6 in 6th grade. I think it would be a smooth transition.

now that ALL will not be available.....

I have 4th graders doing FLL 3 right now..next year FLL 4 they will be in 5th grade.....

then what for 6th grade?

Those of you who have received your R and Staff, Hake, GWG, VIE....verdicts ?

Dd did FLL3 and FLL4 over 3rd-5th grades. We took a break from grammar for about 6 weeks, and now she's doing R&S 5 (she's in 6th grade). My goal is to have her finish R&S 6 by the end of 7th grade. I haven't decided what to do after that; she may go to private school for 8th grade.

Ds did R&S-5 and R&S-6 over 5th-7th grades (with only a little grammar before that, since FLL-3 & 4 hadn't come out yet). And when he took a practice SAT in the middle of the spring semester of 7th grade (when he was about halfway through R&S-6), he scored well on the grammar section, maybe around the 70th percentile.

We do most of the R&S lessons orally, even the "Written" sections. Dd probably does about 20% of the work in writing, especially topics like making words plural and plural possessive, contractions, and diagraming.

HTH!

I'm still angsting over this ... we are on lesson 57 of FLL 4 (5th and advanced 3rd grader) and will finish the book before the end of the school year. I was pretty sure I was going to go with Hake, but I also like the look of VIE (but man it's expensive). I found this book on diagramming (I think on here somewhere) that I think I'll purchase as well to supplement whatever we do.

We're using Hake this year, and yes, we are using all the materials: grammar, writing, journal entries, copywork and dictation, and the tests. It's probably the best year of grammar we've had. The only thing I plan on adding to it is some Writing Strands because my dd has requested more writing assignments, specifically more creative ones.

We're going to be using Hake 5 and I bought the whole kit. I'm not sure if we'll use the writing, but I think we might. We use Classical Writing and I may add in WWS also. But this may give my daughter an alternative way to see how to approach writing.

Hake for us.

hake for us too.

Hake here.

Same here. We will be going with Hake next year. This year we are doing a grammar review with FLL4 first semester, and we will do ALL during 2nd semester, take the summer off then begin Hake 8 in the fall.

We will not be using the writing component of Hake, just the grammar. Instead, we will be doing WWS. Dd is really bummed out about no PHP grammar next year, but as long as we stay with WWS, she will survive. She said she thinks SWB's teaching has helped her more than any other we've used. She begged me to stay with PHP, so I'll take her to the end of what we have available.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Edited by HSMom2One
Hit the Save button too soon.

We moved to Rod and Staff, after 4 years of FLL. After getting used to a new format, DS11 and I like it - he reads the lesson, I do the warmup review, and we do oral and most of the "written" work out loud. It was a relatively smooth transition in concepts, not many gaps between the programs.

Hake5 for dd9.

When I dropped FLL3 for ds8, the consensus of the Hive was that I should just take a break from grammar with him. I didn't, but I should have listened. I bought GWG because I felt like I needed to do SOMETHING with him. I am seeing the same complaint that I have read many times about GWG: zero retention. The exercises are so completely formulaic that I don't think they promote any kind of thinking about the concepts. It's truly just fill-in-the-blank kinds of stuff. We're still doing it because ds likes it (of course he does, it's super-duper crazy easy), but he's not learning anything.

I'll try to get him back into FLL3 next year. Don't know what we'll do after that. I don't know what Hake would suit him.

Tara