Menu

Every year...

Believing the turkey myths?

Maybe that is it. Alton Brown says to cook it until the temp in the thickest part of the breast is 161 and "carry over" will finish it. I took it out at 165 and it never got over 167. The thigh joints were still bloody :glare:. Annoying.

Maybe that is it. Alton Brown says to cook it until the temp in the thickest part of the breast is 161 and "carry over" will finish it. I took it out at 165 and it never got over 167. The thigh joints were still bloody :glare:. Annoying.

That only works when you start with a turkey that's been sitting under studio lights. Lynn Rosetto Casper says 165-170. She works in radio. ;)

The stupid turkey doesn't cook as quick as it is supposed to. What the heck am I doing wrong?!?

I only attempted cooking "the bird" one year, and I had the same problem. I think he wasn't completely thawed out when I started. I don't think the thawing times given are long enough. Just my $0.02. We returned to going out for our Thanksgiving meal after my turkey debacle.

Do you have an oven thermometer? Your oven might be running slightly off from the temperature where you set the dial. Even if it's just a few degrees cooler, that could add up to a big time difference when you're cooking something as big as a turkey!

I thawed mine since purchase (Monday evening). I accidentally left it out the first night, but it was in the fridge since then. There was still a little block on ice in the inside (dh does that part thankfully) I cooked according to directions, we don't even own a thermometer. We cooked for 3 1/2 hours according the package directions. It could have used a few more minutes, but it was good. We covered with foil for about the first hour. We were doing a 13lb bird.

I don't know, I'm not a good cook, but somehow my turkeys turn out. Perhaps its the gods of kitchen giving me a break for one day of the year. :lol:

I agree two biggest things that lead to turkey taking too long:

opening the oven too often (too long) to baste or check the turkey

AND

oven temp not being correct.

We are a military family in our second house that has a brand new oven, I still keep an oven thermometer in my oven and double check temps!~

Sure winner.....fresh turkey (never frozen), 350 degree oven. Cook until meat thermometer reaches 160. DON'T take the turkey out! When it reaches 160, you know you have an hour until you will probably serve. Raise temp to 400 and let it keep cooking until the thermometer reaches 175. Remove turkey and let it stand for 20 minutes before carving/serving. My 23lb bird was 4 hours exactly start to table today and moist but not raw.