Menu

Hunger Games

Is this ok for a boy - almost 10 yo? My ds is interested in it and the lady at the bookstore recommended it for 12 and up, but I wanted some more opinions. Thanks!

I was just coming to ask about this book! So, I will be :bigear:

In what way is it graphic? I mean, we read The Iliad last year and that's pretty graphic, kwim?

Well, it would really depend on the kid. There are graphic descriptions of killings, complete with blood and pus. Children are made to kill other children and the morality and consequences of this is discussed in detail. There is a lot of war as well. So, I'd probably not let a 10 year old read it, but it really depends on the family.

ETA: Another disturbing part included one boy getting torn apart over the period of hours by genetically mutated dogs and having to listen to him scream all night. This included descriptions of what he looked like.

ETA: I'm usually pretty sensitive to stuff like that and usually have a hard time, but for some reason I was able to remove myself from it very easily in Hunger Games and it didn't disturb me like I usually would be, so take that as you will as well. I'm someone who couldn't watch Battlestar Galactica after the first 10 minutes of the first episode when the Cylon kills the baby, but I've read Hunger Games twice. :)

Edited by MeaganS

oooh, it really depends on the kid. And FTR, I LOVE these books.

My 11 year old is reading Gregor the Overlander and really likes it. I would not let him read THG. He is not ready yet. Heck, he doesn't even watch PG-13 movies.

As the series goes on things become even more serious. There are mentions in the third book of torture and its aftermath, stories of people forced into sexual situations against their will or for food etc. Lots of high level political maneuvering etc.

I know some kids are ready for it or take it in stride and just take in what they can. One friend's kid is 14 and she had nightmares. I know younger kids have read it and say they really liked it.

Well, it would really depend on the kid. There are graphic descriptions of killings, complete with blood and pus. Children are made to kill other children and the morality and consequences of this is discussed in detail. There is a lot of war as well. So, I'd probably not let a 10 year old read it, but it really depends on the family.

ETA: Another disturbing part included one boy getting torn apart over the period of hours by genetically mutated dogs and having to listen to him scream all night. This included descriptions of what he looked like.

ETA: I'm usually pretty sensitive to stuff like that and usually have a hard time, but for some reason I was able to remove myself from it very easily in Hunger Games and it didn't disturb me like I usually would be, so take that as you will as well. I'm someone who couldn't watch Battlestar Galactica after the first 10 minutes of the first episode when the Cylon kills the baby, but I've read Hunger Games twice. :)

:iagree: (apart from 2nd ETA) :)

I let my son read Ender's Game and he was able to handle it fine, but I wouldn't let him read Hunger Games yet. I think they're good books, but it'd disturb my son for now.

It is a series I'd recommend prereading.

Ds was 11 when he read them. I tend to think 12+ is a much better age range, but at least he doesn't seem horribly warped by having read them sooner. ;)

I wasn't too distressed by the "graphic" nature of the violence so much as the *horror* of the story -- that these are children being forced to fight each other to the death. The overwhelming evil of that distressed me far, far more than any one description of violence. But I also think some of that was more upsetting to me as an adult (and parent) than it would be to many kids (who can disassociate a little better there)...

Dd has asked about reading them. The movie is scheduled to come out when dd is ten, so I may let her read them before it comes out (because she is interested)...

I don't think it is appropriate. My son is 12 and I won't let him read it or see the movie when it comes out. My dd16 and dd14 have been allowed to read the books. I think the author toned down some of the graphic nature of the killings...but the overall idea is so horrible. I think the horror of living through it is too much for a 10 year old. I was iffy on letting my 14 year old read it.

I loved the books and can't wait to see the movie, but somethings are just so horrible to comprehend so young.