Menu

Refinishing kitchen countertops vs replacing them....

Dh and I are upgrading the kitchen before we put the house on the market. Right now we have 70's era formica countertops complete with burn marks, gashes, chips, etc. Just got the estimate back for replacing the kitchen countertops.... $1,700. I just don't want to spend that much. I've heard that you can just resurface the countertops for a lot less. Do any of you have experience with this? Have you used this method and were you happy with it? We want something that looks good, is functional, and up-to-date, but that won't cost an arm and a leg.

Thanks for any advice.... I am :bigear:

I painted some a few years ago and they are still doing fine (in a rental.) Tell me again how to attach a picture?

I didn't realize it was just a paint thing. I thought you kind of laid a whole new surface on top of the old surface...... Paint sounds somehow less durable.....

(and I can't help you with the picture :001_huh:, sorry).

Dh and I are upgrading the kitchen before we put the house on the market. Right now we have 70's era formica countertops complete with burn marks, gashes, chips, etc. Just got the estimate back for replacing the kitchen countertops.... $1,700. I just don't want to spend that much. I've heard that you can just resurface the countertops for a lot less. Do any of you have experience with this? Have you used this method and were you happy with it? We want something that looks good, is functional, and up-to-date, but that won't cost an arm and a leg.

Thanks for any advice.... I am :bigear:

What were you looking to replace them with? A better laminate or some kind of solid surface? if the latter, that's actually a pretty good deal. If you just went with laminate, have you considered just installing it yourselves? Are your walls reasonably flat? Sink cutout pretty simple? It sounds do-able (but for the record, I've never done it).

I'd go with a cheap laminate diy job before applying something over the existing countertops. There is quite possibly water damage in the old laminate somewhere and you'd just be sealing it in.

I've seen people lay tile over a counter, and I think there is also stuff you can lay on that is like a thin layer of laminate.

Sometimes too you can get really good deals on countertop at places like discount building places, ReStore, or even craigslist. There isn't so much choice with colours, but often there is something you can make work.

I did granite in my kitchen it was just over 2000 but it was 2 huge pieces of granite. I love mine. It would have been a lot less without my huge island. I believe that added huge value. I had laminate before but the granite makes the kitchen. I went directly to the granite place to buy mine and they installed it. It is a lot cheaper that way.

1. laminate counters pre-cut at home depot/lowes. If you have a fairly standard size kitchen this may be an option you could check into.

2. Remove countertops and install tiled countertops. We have done this to update an older home using granite tiles. The result was beautiful! I think totally cost was around $400.

Good Luck!

I did granite in my kitchen it was just over 2000 but it was 2 huge pieces of granite. I love mine. It would have been a lot less without my huge island. I believe that added huge value. I had laminate before but the granite makes the kitchen. I went directly to the granite place to buy mine and they installed it. It is a lot cheaper that way.

Wow, you got an incredibly great deal! :hurray:

If your dh is handy, and if the countertops have square edges, you can resurface with either tile or formica. you can get a granite/quartz, or stainless or whatever look formica. it comes in sheets, use tape where you plan to make cuts so it wont' chip.

I read this article the other day on a site I follow - it is something to think about when doing renos to sell the house.

Remodel and watch your “investment†plunge in value: 2011-2012 data is worst in 9 years

One thing to keep in mind is how non-updated houses are selling in your area. Around here, houses that need updating are sitting on the market much longer than houses that are updated. So, while you might not recoup what you put in, you might not be able to sell otherwise. Much will depend on the price point of your home, too. A full reno of the kitchen is probably not wise, in this case, but new counters, if the existing are in horrible shape will likely help sell the house. Buyers today are not looking for places that they have to put money into right away. Just my .02.

I didn't realize it was just a paint thing. I thought you kind of laid a whole new surface on top of the old surface...... Paint sounds somehow less durable.....

Well, it's been about 8 years and in a rental where they didn't take care of anything else so I doubt if they took care of it either. It has fewer nicks than my laminate counter-top. It will definitely look nice til you sell the place.

I put a latex base coat, and dabbed with a dry brush 3-4 other colors to get a granite look, then covered it with two coats of oil-based, floor-grade polyurethane.

The paints all came from the mis-mixed pile and the poly was a leftover from our floors, so the whole thing cost less than $50. The paint store now sells a more expensive kit but it's the same idea.

And it was fun :D

(and I can't help you with the picture :001_huh:, sorry).

It's more than just paint- and it's a lot of work. If you have a Lowe's or Home Depot nearby, they have samples of the before and after for you to see, touch, and consider.

Walmart recently started carrying 2 different refinishing products for countertops- but they don't look as upscale at the ones we saw at Lowe's.

You sand, paint, add some colored chips that look kind of like granite, then sand, sand, sand, and then put on a protective covering that seals it. Very durable. Very time consuming.

Well, it's been about 8 years and in a rental where they didn't take care of anything else so I doubt if they took care of it either. It has fewer nicks than my laminate counter-top. It will definitely look nice til you sell the place.

I put a latex base coat, and dabbed with a dry brush 3-4 other colors to get a granite look, then covered it with two coats of oil-based, floor-grade polyurethane.

The paints all came from the mis-mixed pile and the poly was a leftover from our floors, so the whole thing cost less than $50. The paint store now sells a more expensive kit but it's the same idea.

And it was fun :D

The poly would keep almost ANYTHING looking great! Especially floor grade!!