Menu

If you don't drink for religious reasons

would you be upset if you found out that the food you just ate as a guest at someone else's Thanksgiving meal was made (cooked so the alcohol is gone) with Grand Marnier?

I mean this in pure jest and out of no disrepect, but when I saw the post title I thought, "You're right, I don't drink for religious reasons. When I have a drink, it's for enjoyment!"

I guess we religious non-drinkers all have to draw our own line somewhere, don't we. For me, it would depend on the circumstances. If the person knew my religious views on the subject and still served me food with alcohol that would bother me--not because of the alcohol, but because of the "I don't give a flip what you believe" attitude. And I might politely decline the food--again not so much because of the alcohol but more because in my experience people who do this are also more likely to pull out the "well you ate it before at my house, you might as well have a cocktail" card, or the "well you can't believe THAT strongly or you wouldn't have eaten X at my house," card later on. Which is REALLY aggravating.

OTOH, if the person didn't know my beliefs it wouldn't bother me at all, and I would happily eat the food.

Cooking in my own home, I draw the line at things that are actual alcoholic beverages. I happily and with a clear conscience use real vanilla (when I think I can afford it) and other extracts, as well as medicines that use alcohol as a solvent. But I always substitute juice or broth for wine, brandy, etc. in a recipe. That's my preference for eating out as well, but realistically sometimes restaurants (and friends) use wine (or whatever) as a flavoring without telling you that's what's in there, and I don't think God is going to condemn me--or them--over it.

(And just for the record, I've been in the LDS church my whole life and had never heard of anyone getting bent out of shape over vanilla and cough syrup. Ya larn sumpin new ever day, I guess.)

(And just for the record, I've been in the LDS church my whole life and had never heard of anyone getting bent out of shape over vanilla and cough syrup. Ya larn sumpin new ever day, I guess.)

Yeah, that was a new one for me, too. Never even occurred to me to limit my vanilla extract consumption. :lol: I will also happily take Nyquil when there is a need for it. Again....it's more the spirit of the law than the letter of the law. My intention for using vanilla extract is not to get drunk on it (could you? :001_huh: Make if you drank the whole bottle, but :ack2:), but to use it for its intended purpose...flavoring. Although since my MIL may be spending Christmas with us...perhaps I'll reconsider the other possibility. ;) Kidding....that's what my Excedrin is for. :D

I personally don't drink for religious reasons, but if consuming alcohol was an accident then I wouldn't worry or be upset at the person. On the other hand, if someone were to purposely try to deceive me into something, anything, against my personal beliefs than of course I would have reason to feel upset. Who wouldn't?

:iagree: This is exactly how I feel.

I don't get bent out of shape about it. I don't condemn nor judge anyone that uses vanilla extract, cough syrup, or even cooks with alcohol. And I would eat your cookies made with extract. I just feel that not using those things in my home help me to live the law more fully.

For me, it would depend on the circumstances. If the person knew my religious views on the subject and still served me food with alcohol that would bother me--not because of the alcohol, but because of the "I don't give a flip what you believe" attitude. (snip).

.)

I confess, I hadn't thought about someone deliberatly trying to "get you to consume a forbidden product" angle. I guess because I generally hang out with people who respect my beliefs. that would get my dander up.

However, my brother did do that to me once many years ago. It wasn't alcohol - it was chocolate chip cookies laced with pot - I figured out what he'd done after one bite and threw it away. between the abnormal brown specks and him laughing like a hyena (he was stoned.) . . . . He got clean not long after that.

Edited by gardenmom5

I don't get bent out of shape about it. I don't condemn nor judge anyone that uses vanilla extract, cough syrup, or even cooks with alcohol. And I would eat your cookies made with extract. I just feel that not using those things in my home help me to live the law more fully.

I apologize. That was probably a poor choice of words on my part. I don't judge people who draw their line at a different point that I do either. I just had never heard of people including things like extract and medicine in the prohibition.

For me, the Word of Wisdom says "wine or strong drink", and I don't see how extract would qualify as "strong drink". Cooking wine, however, TO ME, fits that description. But I do like that the church allows members to interpret it for themselves (except for the few blatantly obvious things) and decide how specifically to apply the instruction, and I really don't go around poking into other people's business on the subject.

Yeah, that was a new one for me, too. Never even occurred to me to limit my vanilla extract consumption. :lol: I will also happily take Nyquil when there is a need for it. Again....it's more the spirit of the law than the letter of the law. My intention for using vanilla extract is not to get drunk on it (could you? :001_huh: Make if you drank the whole bottle, but :ack2:), but to use it for its intended purpose...flavoring. Although since my MIL may be spending Christmas with us...perhaps I'll reconsider the other possibility. ;) Kidding....that's what my Excedrin is for. :D

Enjoy her while you can. My MIL passed away last month, and having Christmas on the way makes us miss her all the more. I am glad that she and I got to be friends over the years we did have. She didn't much approve of me in the beginning--luring dh off into that Mormon cult and all. Which is funny, because at the time what I was really doing was beating dh over the head with the church so he would go away and leave me alone because I didn't want to date him. But he was persistent....lol.

Enjoy her while you can. My MIL passed away last month, and having Christmas on the way makes us miss her all the more. I am glad that she and I got to be friends over the years we did have. She didn't much approve of me in the beginning--luring dh off into that Mormon cult and all. Which is funny, because at the time what I was really doing was beating dh over the head with the church so he would go away and leave me alone because I didn't want to date him. But he was persistent....lol.

lol.

Wow, really? I grew up in NY and this is the first time I've ever heard the phrase "package store." They were all liquor stores where I lived. :tongue_smilie:

I thought it was NY. It was CT and MA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquor_store). I grew up in Upstate NY, and then lived in MA and CT. The whole northeast starts to blend a little. I miss it. However, we can get alcohol in the grocery store here (even the heavy-duty stuff) and it is convenient.

For me, the Word of Wisdom says "wine or strong drink", and I don't see how extract would qualify as "strong drink". Cooking wine, however, TO ME, fits that description.

Right....I love how we are able to interpret this for ourselves. This is how I am ok with extracts but for dh, he is not....his interpretation is 0% alcohol in any form.

There are lots of Mormon women who refuse to use pure vanilla extract. They use imitation vanilla

Born and raised LDS here and I don't know anyone who wouldn't use pure vanilla extract. I have at least two bottles of it in my cupboard as I write this (for food storage, you know :D). I generally avoid foods that have been cooked with alcohol but it wouldn't bother me to find out about it after the fact.