Menu

How do you schedule R&S?

A half lesson a day/5 day a week, etc., skip certain sections, do some/all orally, write in the student text book, year round or take the summer off, etc. The more specifics the better. Thank you! :bigear:

eta. R&S English.

One lesson a day, each day that we're home.

Definitely NOT writing in the book!

Everything written that is supposed to be written. Dc does most of the work independently.

Our "summer" was from Thanksgiving through the middle of January. :-)

We are in level 2. We do a lesson a day. We currently do everything orally. I type some pages up so he can circle and underline. Next year I will add more writing, but we are working a year ahead and his writing stamina is not equal to his cognitive abilities.

These are nicely done.

http://corefoundations.wordpress.com/scheds-english-and-history/

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

:iagree:That's what we use. Sometimes we get a little behind, but as previous posters have said, it's pretty easy to catch up.

NO writing in the book, though. We usually stick with oral lessons, although I've been having him write stuff out more recently, as his writing stamina increases.

(NOTE: We're in R&S English 2, since my son is in second grade.)

Rabbit is working through R&S English 5; she reads through 2-3 lessons, answering the questions orally, and then does a Worksheet.

Pooh is using both R&S English 3 and 4, and she's now working through every lesson and doing the written work. ETA- Because we are doing two books concurrently, I decided to go from one book to another like this:

Level 3, Unit 1 (Sentences)

Level 4, Chapters 1 and 2 (Subjects and Predicates, and Kinds of Sentences)

Level 3, Unit 2 (Nouns and Pronouns)

Level 4, Chapter 3 (Nouns)

Level 3, Unit 3 (Verbs)

Level 4, Chapters 4, 5 (Verbs) and 6 (Pronouns)

Level 3, Unit 4 (Adjectives and Adverbs)

Level 4, Chapters 7 and 8 (Adjectives and Adverbs)

Level 3, Unit 5 (Building with our Language)

Level 4, Chapters 9 (Punctuation), 10 (Prepositions and Conjunctions) and 11 (Capitalisation and Dictionary Use)

It works because R&S levels 3, 4 and 5 are written in such a way that each book builds on the previous one, mostly in the same order.

Edited by Hedgehog

I used it one lesson per day, 4 days per week. That will get you done in a year. I sometimes combined lessons if my son had a good grasp of the topic and didn't need to spend two days learning it. I used R&S 2 orally, but had him do some writing in 3. I didn't have him write everything. That would have been busywork. I'd rather have him copy sentences from good quality literature for his writing practice.

I used it one lesson per day, 4 days per week. That will get you done in a year.

This is what we do, with lessons M-Th. It works out to be 34-35 weeks of 4 lessons/week. That has been just right for us. We like to get the book done, and have Fridays "grammar-free."

I pick and choose among the writing assignments, though, and usually skip the fiction-type ones unless they want to do them. I have them read through those lessons, though, and sometimes do the oral exercises for them. We do the telephone manners and introduction lessons orally. Otherwise we skip the oral exercises.

They almost always do the worksheet instead of the written exercises if one is available. I also do not require them to do all of the exercises. For books 3 & 4, they usually do the evens or odds, book 5 they do every third, books 6-10 they do every fourth exercise. If they miss an exercise, we will go over the concept, and I will usually have them do another of the same type. Every once in a while a child will have a lot of trouble with a concept. If that happens, I will read the section with the child out loud, do some (or all) of the oral exercises, and sit with him while he does the written exercises.

Let R&S be your dc's grammar pill for the day, but not their taskmaster.

HTH,

GardenMom

My oldest kids are doing R&S 5. They had been doing Beka at a private school up until last year. A lot of it is review for them, and I go through two-three lessons at a time, two or three days a week. I skip the writing assignments because we use IEW. Most of the work we do orally. It saves time and paper! Occasionally they diagram on the whiteboard.

If this was new material for them I would not go so quickly. If they get bogged down later I will slow down but I don't see that happening.

We do R&S English every day. I am in the midst of adjusting it a bit but here is my goal:

One lesson per day. We do oral drills together. If I see during the oral drill they understand what they are doing, then they do the written work in their language note books (I remember when those were called spirals :D, anyway) on their own. If they have trouble during the orals, then we will do the first couple of questions together until I feel they have a better understanding. We are adding the worksheets back in after dropping them for a month, but they will be done on a day by themselves (this is the new part). I figure their little brains deserve a break on occasion, because I am working them rather hard these days. :001_smile:

Now, if the written has a lot of diagraming sentences I will allow our 5th grader to do half, our 3rd grader must do all of hers until I know for sure she can do it.

The tests are also done on days by themselves too.

I hope all that made sense.

Marsha

For R&S 2, we did one lesson a day, 5 days a week. We did about 1/2 to 2/3 orally and then my ds did the remaining work independently, in writing, on notebook paper. (The part he did was evenly divided among each part of the assignment.)

For R&S 3, we do one lesson a day, 4 days a week. As with last year, we usually do 1/2 to 2/3 orally, although I have ds do all of any diagramming assignments, as I think they're great practice and they don't take that long.

If the purpose of the assignment is hampered by our doing it orally, I have my son do the writing; however, if he would learn just as well doing it orally, we go that route. My goal is to spend about 15 minutes working with my ds on the lesson and 15 minutes of him working independently. If I had him do the entire lesson written, it could easily take him 30-45 minutes, depending on the length of the assignment.

A half lesson a day/5 day a week, etc., skip certain sections, do some/all orally, write in the student text book, year round or take the summer off, etc. The more specifics the better. Thank you! :bigear:

eta. R&S English.

We usually do a full lesson every day for 4 days per week. I go over the lesson with them as they do very, very poorly on the exercises if I don't. Weird children. I don't have to go over their math lesson but grammar, YES!

Most lessons I do NOT skip. We are using a separate writing program but it doesn't cover how to address an envelope and letter writing, for example. Where there is overlap we just take the techniques we've learned from our writing program and apply to R&S assignment. And *sometimes* having something explained a different way can really help cement certain things. So we do 99.9% I know we've skipped some things but I can't remember what or why right now.

We do the oral exercises orally. I use my discretion in assigning the written exercises. If there is not a lot of writing involved I generally assign the entire exercise. I try to pare down if there is an excessive amount of sentence writing. If it's something they need to practice we'll do some of it orally perhaps saying the punctuation outloud if that is what we're practicing and assign the rest for writing. If it's something they *don't* need to work on then I'll just assign a couple for review and skip the rest. We generally do the review lesson at the end of the written exercises orally.

We do not write in the book and we do not use the worksheets.

I have recently been telling my dc to put their completed English assignment in their textbook for me to correct the next day when we come together for tutoring time. I check it while they are studying for their dictation. They take their dictation and then we can quickly go over what they missed in their English. That way I don't have English grading looming over my head and they can get timely feedback.

Occasionally there will be a lesson that I want to take 2 days with. My dd just had one of those lessons. It was on taking notes and writing a paragraph from those notes. I wanted her to do both of the written assignments but they were too involved for her to do both in one day. But I rarely stretch one lesson over two days.

As far as teaching the lesson, I just read what is given in the student text (but out of the teacher manual) or I have the student read it out loud to me. Depending on how much reading it is and how much they need help focusing. ;) I have not used the teacher's notes for teaching ever. But the teacher book is invaluable for the answer key and it *is* nice for each of us to have a copy of the text instead of having to share one book.

I share a book for Grades 2 and 3, though as I didn't buy the TM for those.

Oh, we do not do grammar in the summer. 34-36 weeks in our school year and we stop wherever we are and pick up where we left off in the fall.

Currently I am teaching R&S English 2, 3, 5, 7, and 8. I LOVE R&S English!!!

ETA: Regarding diagramming: I love diagramming and don't like to cut any of those. However, to lessen the writing but keep the thinking I told my older dc that after getting the skeleton and complements down they could just use the first letter for modifiers. Draw the line where it goes and just write the letter d for delicious (as an example) instead of the whole word. Although many times the diagram doesn't even ask for modifiers. But one ds is studying adjectives currently. It's ALOT of writing!

Edited by silliness7

We do grammar three days a week and writing two days a week. Therefore, R&S lessons are Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. I do not use the writing in R&S. I don't like it. Formal writing is addressed with other resources.

I require only the written exercises that are relevant to the study. We review orally. We do all of the actual unit review.

You all have been so gracious and I really appreciate it. My R&S order should be here by the end of the week and we're rearing to go. I'm liking the grammar 4 days a week idea. I will have to double check and make sure we'll finish by the end of our school year since we're getting a late start. Thanks again!

I do one lesson a day, 3 days a week, skipping the composition lessons. If I were using the composition lessons, I'd use the program 4 days/week.

DD is using R&S 5. I read the lesson with dd, do most of the oral exercises, then choose about half of the written exercises for her to finish up on her own.

We do 1 lesson a day, 3-4 days a month. The plan is to do 16-17 lessons a month, however that works out. In that time frame we can complete it in a 10 mo. school year, giving us June and July off.

Some lessons (composition ones for my 4th grader) take longer. So she might take 2 days on it. Some lessons are such a review that we do them orally (this mostly for my 2nd grader) but most of the time we do the oral lessons from the T.M, read the book, do the oral from their book and then I assign evens or odds for them to do independently.