Menu

What is this? Bald super dry looking spot on ds's scalp

It feels like I am doing nothing but posting on here today :001_huh:... ugh.

I was doing Vision Therapy homework with ds7 and he messed with his head and said "Mom it hurts right here" Dd looked and said mom look at this. It looks EXTREMELY dry and he is bald there. No hair at all. Its just bigger than a quarter. I think I attached the picture correctly. What do you think this is??

post-13301-13535085743092_thumb.jpg

post-13301-13535085743092_thumb.jpg

Ringworm?

I looked at google images of that and all of the pictures that came up look really different. I know the pic I took isn't the greatest but imagine the driest elbow you have ever seen-- and its close to that just different. How is that for a helpful description?

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

Ringworm on the head is worse than ringworm on other body parts.

For fungus on places other than the head I recommend rubbing with vinegar. It works much better than over-the-counter medicine and some prescription stuff I tried. It is also really cheap.

I wouldn't delay taking him to a doctor. My nephew had ringworm on his scalp and he didn't get treatment quickly and it turned out ugly. Eventually he got medicine and his skin healed and his hair grew back

It feels like I am doing nothing but posting on here today :001_huh:... ugh.

I was doing Vision Therapy homework with ds7 and he messed with his head and said "Mom it hurts right here" Dd looked and said mom look at this. It looks EXTREMELY dry and he is bald there. No hair at all. Its just bigger than a quarter. I think I attached the picture correctly. What do you think this is??

That looks like ringworm. I would get to the doctor immediately and not bother with home remedies (and I *often* choose them over doctor visits) as it is very contagious.

I'd guess ringworm or some sort of fungal infection....

I would use apple cidar vinegar on it for a few days. It'll seem "inflamed" immediately afterwards; but after a couple days, it'll probably be almost gone. I had three HUGE spots and held acv on them for about 20 minutes at a time and they cleared up in no time after a LONG time of giving me trouble.

Edited by 2J5M9K

It could be impetigo.

It does look like ringworm though. You need to see a doctor about that ASAP. My son had ringworm on his scalp and it took prescription meds given for weeks and weeks to clear it up.

My friends dd just had similar issues and it was impetigo although it looked like ringworm

Well you all convinced me to get him to the dr and we just got back. I guess at this point we pray for ringworm because its either that or Alopecia Areata. They did a skin scraping and we should know in the next 10- 40 minutes. It takes anywhere from 30-60 mins. They said that based on his age if it were Alopecia he more than likely would not get his hair back.

Remind him of good handwashing after he's been playing with critters. My boys like to catch and release all manner of critters around here and I'm constantly having the handwashing talk. We usually have "ABCs" or "Happy Birthday" or "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" being sung to accompany the sound of the faucet! :D

Ringworm. My son had it, looked just like that. I used over the counter fungal cream for athletes foot, with miconazole in it. It took a while, but it went away. (I also cheated and had him wash his hair with antifungal dog shampoo...I'm a vet tech and had easy access, lol)