Menu

Knitters ~ what are you working on now?

How long did it take you to learn to knit with three needles to make tubes?

Me? I dunno. I've been knitting since I was seven, though. But here's the huge secret: it's not hard. It's just like garter stitch, except you go around and around instead of turning your work. ;) After 33 years, it confuses me when I have to use straight needles and turn... And purl! What a pain!

I have a few on the fire. I have a scarf for dh and dd I just finished one for my ds. I am also trying out an easy lace pattern scarf for MIL.

I am also crocheting a sweater for my dd and ds.

I can't ever just work on one project. I don't usually have this many going at once, but the scarves for dh and dd are surprises and I can only work on them a certain times.

The crochet is part of a class I am taking so I have to work on it then wait for the next class to figure out what to do next. I have the torso parts done. Now I just need to learn sleeves and neck.

That's gorgeous Brianna! Do you just twist and Kitchener at the end?

Yes. It's just a plain knit two together, yo, two together, yo.... I put a few knits on the sides for borders. It's something I don't have to think about and can whip out for Christmas, yet it looks gorgeous.

Edited by justamouse

Don't let it intimidate you, it's nothing but knit stitch-nary a purl in sight!

Thanks for the encouragement. :) I don't know if you saw my last thread with a hat I knitted for Papa, but there was an "oops" purl in the middle for a couple of rows. Turned out nicely, but I'm not exactly sure how I did it. :lol:

I'm about half-way through the 2nd afghan I am making my parents for Christmas - they wanted matching ones for their chairs in their RV.

I have also knit 3 hats in the past few weeks...and I want to make these for my youngest dds.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/cyclades-vest

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/-249-childrens-neck-down-jacket

Can I join in even though I'm a crocheter? :leaving: It's my new found addiction. I told DH if it weren't for him, I'd be one of those women with fifty cats and everything in my house crocheted. I don't even like cats; I'm allergic. :lol: But so far, I've made one and a half hats and started one of those little amigurumi lions. Ravelry is my addiction site, after this board of course. But I keep searching and printing and saving patterns. :drool5: Honestly it's the first thing I've ever done where I've thought, "Wow, I have some talent."

If you are on Ravelry...I just finished the Baby Surprise Jacket for my toddler.

I love it! Here is the link:

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/purplepickle/baby-surprise-jacket

I am getting ready to cast on the sleeves for a sweater for my 7 year old. I am hoping to get it done this weekend. It is a Children's Henley Top Down Pullover by Diane Soucy.

Thanks for the encouragement. :) I don't know if you saw my last thread with a hat I knitted for Papa, but there was an "oops" purl in the middle for a couple of rows. Turned out nicely, but I'm not exactly sure how I did it. :lol:

My mom (who is an expert knitter) told me that in the old days, the women would intentionally knit an accident in their work so you could tell who did it. Sorta like a signature on a painting. You can just say the purl is your signature. ;)

I'm working on this. It's about halfway done.

See, now that intimates me! I'd have to count and that's when it all falls apart. :tongue_smilie:

OK, trying to post one.

Ok, yarn and colorway, please?

:iagree: the colors on that are my favorite.

If you are on Ravelry...I just finished the Baby Surprise Jacket for my toddler.

I love it! Here is the link:

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/purplepickle/baby-surprise-jacket

I am getting ready to cast on the sleeves for a sweater for my 7 year old. I am hoping to get it done this weekend. It is a Children's Henley Top Down Pullover by Diane Soucy.

Adorable!

I'm about half-way through the 2nd afghan I am making my parents for Christmas - they wanted matching ones for their chairs in their RV.

I have also knit 3 hats in the past few weeks...and I want to make these for my youngest dds.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/cyclades-vest

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/-249-childrens-neck-down-jacket

I love them! The vest would be perfect for my kids--even me. I need to wear a sweater in the house, but bulky sleeves get in my way.

I am so glad this thread is up because I need the inspiration to get started on my knitting again. I haven't knitted in forever due to me being in school and studying for my national registry test. Now, all of that is over I can knit again. I would call myself an advanced beginner. I am totally jealous of whoever is knitting the baby blanket from ravelry. I wish I had a baby to knit that blanket for. I do have a baby hat pattern I need to knit up. I even bought some yarn for that pattern. Maybe I will start tonight.

I'm working on this. It's about halfway done.

I made one of those! I had to be sure to count my stitches after every row because I kept missing stitches or yo's and not discovering it until I was on the next row after the purl-back row. Too much tinking--I had to learn the hard way.

I'm currently working on a cowl for me in brown Alpaca Love (Debbie Stoller) using this pattern. It's my car knitting so it has to be easy. I'm also making a hat for dh--it's Knitpicks Stroll in midnight heather. It's going very slowly since it's 160 sts on US 1's and it's a dark yarn, so difficult to see unless I'm directly under a light.

I made one of those! I had to be sure to count my stitches after every row because I kept missing stitches or yo's and not discovering it until I was on the next row after the purl-back row. Too much tinking--I had to learn the hard way.

LOL! I made that mistake in the beginning too. Now I have stitch counters every 10 stitches so I catch mistakes a lot faster. I've only had to rip out 3 rows... Now that I've said that though, I'm sure I've doomed myself and I'll be frogging the rest of my way through it. :lol:

See, now that intimates me! I'd have to count and that's when it all falls apart. :tongue_smilie:

It's not that bad. I am going to be looking for something nice and brainless for my next project though! Detailed wasn't bad when I was 9 months pregnant and wanting to stay distracted. Detailed isn't quite as easy with a 3 week old newborn though.

I just finished another knit bow tie for the baby (Bow Ties Are Cool) and am about to start a Tea Party Dress for a baby. My camera charger is AWOL, unfortunately. :glare:

Ahhh, have you seen these socks? http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/bowties-are-cool I may have to knit myself a pair after I finish my current project. Right now, I'm working on a pair of socks for my father, who, I have decided, must be related to the jolly green giant. He's a size 10.5/11, and with a gauge of 8 stitches per inch, I'm getting nowhere fast! Even plain vanilla socks take for-ev-er at that gauge. (They're supposed to be a Christmas gift, but I have a feeling that this will be me on Christmas eve: :willy_nilly:.)

Re: Monster pattern: Angela, if you knit a pair of those for yourself, will you promise to post photos? :D

Ahhh, have you seen these socks? http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/bowties-are-cool I may have to knit myself a pair after I finish my current project. Right now, I'm working on a pair of socks for my father, who, I have decided, must be related to the jolly green giant. He's a size 10.5/11, and with a gauge of 8 stitches per inch, I'm getting nowhere fast! Even plain vanilla socks take for-ev-er at that gauge. (They're supposed to be a Christmas gift, but I have a feeling that this will be me on Christmas eve: :willy_nilly:.)

oh. oh. no. worsted! make worsted socks! they're forever enough!

Re: Monster pattern: Angela, if you knit a pair of those for yourself, will you promise to post photos? :D

You betcha.

Seriously, I think I would be a deliriously happy middle aged woman, running around with stripey monster butt leggings under my skirt. Though I may develop an unfortunate mooning habit. :D

(really, my biggest challenge is upsizing from 9-18 months to 480 months)

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

This year I'm stepping it up a bit with my first adult sweater, I've done sweaters and dresses for kids before, but this is probably the biggest project I have done. I have only the back and 2 arms to do, plus the finishing work. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/tembo

I'm also making 2 x Toothless, the dragon from How To Train a Dragon for my kids:

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/toothless

And a lot of other things which I probably won't finish and save for later. Going to try to crank out the 2 projects above before I try to get to anything else. I slacked off for a few months this year, and I shouldn't have!

Those monster pants are soooooo cute!

I have just a few rows left on the body of a sweater for DS5. The sleeves should go quickly as they'll be in the round. Hopefully, anyway. And I have a stocking cap started for DS2. I can knit on the hat whenever, but I've been needing to pay attention to the sweater front so it only gets worked on after little boy bedtime. DH is hogging the laptop, so I can't post pics right now - sorry. There are pics on my ravelry, but they're already outdated. :tongue_smilie:

I have a hat that I started in Feb. that I need to finish so I can wear it. :tongue_smilie: It's my first knit hat & my 2nd cable project. Speaking of cable projects, I have a small purse that I need to finish. I did the first side which was my first cable project. I need to do the other side & stitch it together. I want to crochet coasters for my kids so they can use the same cup all day instead of going through all of them. :glare: I want to make a shawl but still deciding on pattern & yarn. My sister wants a yarn wig. :lol: I may try to get it to her by Christmas. I saw a pattern for slippers that I want to make for everyone. They looked super easy. I just need to get yarn that I can felt.