Menu

*Scented candles??? They can give off Petro-chemicals that can cause cancer??

I really like scented candles!!!:D

But, I have recently heard & read about some studies showing they are not good for our health...some fumes even proven to cause breast cancer...???!!

This is based on people who continually burn a lot of these candles & for long periods of time ~especially in enclosed areas--:tongue_smilie:

Any thoughts??:001_smile:

Edited by cshell

Yeah - they aren't so hot - but if you live in a house with decent ventilation, then you probably aren't going to keel over anytime soon :D

I think inhaling any sort of smoke is technically not good for you.

Soy candles supposedly avoid this problem (give them another 10 years, they'll find something wrong with them I'm sure....).

I am one of those who have never liked candles, room deodorizing thingies or even perfume. My daughter's dance instructor is avid on having the girls in class use deodorant...I am just of the mind- NO CHEMICALS- I wish I could remove all of them and let go of my lysol/tilex and just use baking soda/lemon/vinegar..but luckily, the amount of time I have to use those items are limited :D

As far as deodorant, really? Your lymph nodes are located closely, our bodies are meant to sweat out toxins and you're adding chemicals to an area that is meant to release toxins...it just does not sound sensible. I also do not color my hair...I often wonder all those years in the 70's how much the Aqua Net habit has affected all those ladies growing up in the bouffant era! :) Perhaps I am taking it too far...but there comes a time when you just have to question..is this necessary? We were designed to breathe air and drink water...don't even get me started on the water...so many pharmaceuticals (anxiety meds/blood pressure meds/diabetic meds etc.) are continually being turned back into our water systems. With people living longer than 65 and most of them on medications of some sort...it comes back to haunt us...I used to be in the pharmaceutical industry and the trace amounts of residual drug passed through urine/even those dumped down the sink end up in our drinking water (my concern for the rise of autism related disorders..it has to be environmental)....

There, you asked about candles but you got much more....just be sensible..try to do natural/no preservatives/no chemicals...but I also believe the neuroses that build up over these kinds of concerns can have a worse effect on you than some of the smaller issues...use good sense that's all :)

My dh gets really sick from candles. Even some unscented ones. He only does ok with beeswax. It has to do with the petroleum being put out into the air and breathing it in. Kerosene is really bad for him as well.

I used to not believe him that the candles made him sick until we read up on it and realized that they are fairly toxic and some people are just more sensitive.

But, I have recently heard & read about some studies showing they are not good for our health...some fumes even proven to cause breast cancer...???!!

This is based on people who continually burn a lot of these candles & for long periods of time ~especially in enclosed areas--:tongue_smilie:

Yeah, I read about that a year or so ago. Artificial scents like that have given me a headache for a long time, so this was just a little more confirmation that I didn't want to have them around.

100% beeswax candles don't bother me.

I loved scented candles and used to burn them frequently, until this past summer when I had my a/c serviced. My coils were filthy and the guy who cleaned them asked me if I cooked a lot of fried food. Nope, virtually none. The second question he asked was whether I burn lots of candles. Well, crap. Yes, I did and if that is what the candles did to my a/c coils, I don't even want to think about what they did to my family's lungs. :001_unsure:

Yes, it's true. This is why we don't use any artificially scented products in our home - no scented fabric softener, laundry detergent, hand soap, dish soap, lotions, candles, glade fresheners, etc...

You can use essential oils and natural things like that instead of the chemicals in artificial fragrances.

ETA: Article link http://www.ewg.org/notsosexy

Edited by Sevilla

Yes, it's true. This is why we don't use any artificially scented products in our home - no scented fabric softener, laundry detergent, hand soap, dish soap, lotions, candles, glade fresheners, etc...

You can use essential oils and natural things like that instead of the chemicals in artificial fragrances.

ETA: Article link http://www.ewg.org/notsosexy

I think this is one of the things that bothers me most about the candles. I buy mostly organic/green stuff and use only all natural cleaners in our home. I don't know why it never occurred to me that the candles were a problem. :(

Beeswax is best. It evidently "cleans" the air attracting particles. I am trying to switch to beeswax but it's expensive. I found a neat place to order though.

https://www.stjohnsbookstore.com/user Scroll down a bit and look on the sidebar to the left.

A member of this forum pointed me to them and their customer service and shipping speed is fantastic...and it benefits the monastery.

What if the scent in the candle IS from essential oils? Would burning those be bad, too?

Also, what if you use a candle warmer rather than burning it?

I burn beeswax with a little lavender essential oil in a warmer. I found it tricky to get beeswax tea lights though.

Okay I am now TOTALLY FREAKED OUT here!!! I love candles. I have 2-4 burning in my house pretty much anytime I am home and awake. (Three right now!) I usually burn two downstairs and two upstairs. We have 3 indoor cats and two large indoor/outdoor dogs and am constantly cleaning the litter box and mopping the floors, but burn candles b/c I don't want to smell my beloved animals. Ya know? Most of my candles are Bath and Body brand with an occasional Yankee or generic. Are these types toxic? Where are these studies and how do I know if my candles are poisoning my family????

I am in the same boat as Bensmom. We are a multiple pets (& kids) household and I am always afraid that our home will begin to smell too much like animals (both 2 and 4 legged).

So, what is the verdict? Soy or beeswax??

BTW to Bensmom, I think I remember reading an article about one of the mall stores - I think Bath & Body - that got in trouble for the products marketed for the kids because of the amount of chemicals in them. My daughter liked all of their "girly" stuff, but we threw it all away.

Okay I am now TOTALLY FREAKED OUT here!!! I love candles. I have 2-4 burning in my house pretty much anytime I am home and awake. (Three right now!) I usually burn two downstairs and two upstairs. We have 3 indoor cats and two large indoor/outdoor dogs and am constantly cleaning the litter box and mopping the floors, but burn candles b/c I don't want to smell my beloved animals. Ya know? Most of my candles are Bath and Body brand with an occasional Yankee or generic. Are these types toxic? Where are these studies and how do I know if my candles are poisoning my family????

Yes, those types are toxic. You are filling your family's lungs and nervous systems with the airborne chemicals each time you sniff. If you have any people who have lung issues in your house or are young children, this is an especially significant thing to consider. Your indoor air quality is likely quite low if you continuously keep artificial fragrance chemicals (petrochemicals) dispersed in the air at all times.

http://healthychild.org/blog/comments/fragrances_in_candles_incense_and_potpourri/

http://www.greenamerica.org/livinggreen/candles.cfm

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/are-scented-candles-making-you-sick.html