Menu

Curly Girls: help out a busy mom!

Best natural I've found by far is Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner. Its all natural, many ingredients organic and it has lots of "slip" for coarse hair (the marshmallow/horsetail does this)

around here it is only $3 a bottle....YMMV @ your store if you have one.

If not I've found VO5 and Some Suave (like the coconut) to be good alternatives. Ironically its the "cheap" conditioners that don't often have the silicones (since they are a bit pricey to include)

Ingredients in Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner: Purified Water, Tea Tree Oil, Peppermint Oil, Eucalyptus Oil, Nettle Oil, Thyme Oil, Birch Leaf Oil, Chamomile Oil, Clary Coltsfoot Leaf, Yarrow Oil, Mallow, Horsetail Oil, Soybean protein, Cetyl alcohol (plant derived), Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Trace Minerals, citric acid (corn), sodium hydroxymethylgycinate, Grapefruit seed (citrus derived) ** and more than 1/2 of the above have an * indicating organic. I really love this stuff!!!! Its not oily at all...but very silky and has lots of slip (from the mallow) for detangling in the shower.

I love Kinky Curly Knot Today (detangling) and Curling Custard (styling) .....These are not just for ethnic hair, in fact my long super fine curls love it!!!!!

These 3 items are all I use, and my hair has never been healthier. (aside from henna coloring of course...)

Edited by Xanadu
I can't spell...and added ingredients list

I have read the CG handbook.

I know there are ingredients in shampoos and conditioners to avoid.

I do not have the time (or patience) to research every. single. brand.

Please just give me the OK brands. (preferably not from a salon)

Thanks!

Lara

You can get Deva Curl at Ulta or from Amazon. The Deva Curl gel is da bomb.

Right now I'm trying out the Tea Tree conditioner from Trader Joe's. It's too soon to commit to switching, but my pocketbook loves it :-).

Also, I think the Burts Bees Raspberry is supposed to be OK

I really like Tresemme Naturals conditioner, and as I like to get everything in one place I also use this mouse and this Refreshing Mist. I can get a good 2-3 days between washings with these products.

:iagree: I just tried this and like it. My hair is so thick that I have to use a ton of ANY product I use, and I don't want to spend a fortune.

I know you talk about Trader Joe's here all the time, but I am fairly sure there isn't one nearby. Can I order online?

Sorry It been a few days....no rest for the wicked:lol:

Yeah I love Trader Joe's Conditioner.....and I only share my love because I spent so much darn time wasting $$$$$ on devacurl. ( I even tried WEN, but it was more expensive and wasn't as natural) My curly hair falls below my rump when wet, mid back when dry. My daughter's hair is almost the same length, and even my son has long hair. We all no~poo and it was costing me a fortune in the pricey Conditioners.

Now its 2 $3 bottles a week instead of 1 $35 bottle...;) (I've even been known to make my own flaxseed hair gel when I have the time)

DH couldn't be happier....:lol:

As far as I know you can't order online from TJ's, but for awhile (when we were relocated for a trip overseas) my mother would go buy like 20 bottles at a time and send to me (I gave her the money for the conditioners and shipping, which wasn't that much via snail mail to a military address) We've have since moved again, and now I drive almost 45 min to get the conditioner, so I stock up when I go. Perhaps you have a friend/family member near a store who could do the same??

After almost 30 years of struggling with curly, nappy, frizzy, messy, super fine, super long, cherub/corkscrew curls I finally found a product that didn't cost a fortune and works....so I just have to share...

I really wish TJ would allow online ordering for household/hygiene items!!!

Edited by Xanadu
spelling

I order this:

http://www.mixedchicks.net/

I have tried both the children's products and the regular products. I find the adult products work just fine for dd and they are cheaper. If I was trying to save money I would probably use Tresseme shampoo and conditioner with the instructions they give on their website and just buy the leave in conditioner from them. It is by far the best product I've tried for keeping dd's hair looking nice all day.

I also use cheap Aussie leave-in conditioner/detangler from walmart to detangle when it's cold and we don't get her hair wet. After I spray it and get tangles out I use the mixed chicks leave-in.

FYI...dd's hair is very curly but also pretty fine/easy to work with. My niece's hair is very course and the product works great on both hair types.