Menu

Wikki Stix? Opinions please!

We used them in preschool--they were hard for a 3-4yo to manage, but the dads loved them for some reason!

I don't find them all that interesting--good for a little while. They are kinda hard to straighten back out and reuse, as some kids just get frustrated and lump them all together.

You are basically drawing with a heavily waxed string. Whether or not that works for you is really very individual.

ETA--or sculpting--but a figure that gets lint, hair, etc stuck to it easily, like kokotg said...LOL

Edited by Chris in VA

My ds has always used them extensively w/ his Lego minifigures. The Wikki Stix make great rappeling ropes (as well as many other uses) for Lego men, lol!

That's really the only way we've used them. So, a small-ish pack worked well for us; it was plenty for ds to use w/ his minifigures.

I saw these on the homeschool buyers co-op and am very intrigued.

Are they worth it? YES

Are the reusable? YES, they can be removed and straightened out.

Do you like them? YES

I am thinking Christmas here.

We loved these when dc were young (preschool - K/1st). I used them to make letters on file cards -- dc could trace the letters with their fingers. If I remember correctly, we had some wikki stix books -- dc followed a pattern to make Wikki pictures. But they were great for just playing around.

I was first introduced to them by an occupational therapist as a help for developing fine motor skills. As a parent, I loved them because they were neat -- no mess, no spills, no needing to be sharpened, no writing on walls or clothing, easily transported.

Not the cheapest thing around, but totally worth it, IMO.

My dd went through a period where she loved these - she was about 5yo, and has always liked tactile things like these, or more recently (and more enduring) play-doh and then clay (like the Laguna Clay our local Art Studio in their pottery classes). DD's Wikki-Stix phase occurred when she was about 5yo, and she did make some very elaborate items with them - scenes on paper, and even an entire little village of fantastical creatures and their homes and habitat. I bought her the Big Box from Amazon after she had used up all of her friend's Bendaroos. The Big Box has over 450 Wikki Stix in 13 colors, and according to Amazon, in December 2009, they were a couple dollars less than they are right now. I'd have paid the current $22 also; my then 5yo dd and her 8yo sister, and her sister's 9yo friend, all had fun with these for several months (6? 8? longer?), although I admit that, by the time it happened, I was glad when we passed that phase. We have a few - only a very few - remaining from that box. They definitely collect hair, and as someone mentioned above, they leave a waxy residue on anything they've been wrapped around (we have a lot of those little Schleich animals - argh! with the waxy coating on those!), but it seems to have been survivable after all. :D

Now, the Schleich animal phase? That's still going strong. We must have several hundred of those and the little Toob animals; they are used daily. Those previously encased in Wikki Stix don't seem to be worse for the wear. :001_smile: