Menu

Illustrated Chapter Read Alouds - Preschool Age

FromA2Z

Hi!

This is my very first thread!. I'm looking for beautifully illustrated CHAPTER Read-Alouds for my 3.5 ds (and 2 yo ds), preferably classics. We are just starting chapter reads for bedtime. I'm looking for a gentle intro into the longer classic stories. BTW we read lots of picture books during the day - so we are not lacking there.

My criteria:

Classic or children's classic

Multiple chapters

Lots (every page or every other page) of big (& beautiful) illustrations like a picture book but obviously with a lot more text. (I don't want those "classic start" or "great illustrated classic" books). I'm looking for the art almost as much as the story.

Preferably hardcover and bigger in size

I don't mind if its an abridged edition at this age.

I'll need more than just a title but an actual edition (illustrator's name?)

I've done some Amazon searching...but it's hard to tell what the book is really like, how many illustrations, etc.

I also don't mind if its OOP if I can get it used (at a reasonable price).

Thanks so much!

My 5-year old and 3-year old like the Winnie the Pooh books. Some of the stories are a little long for the 3-year old--it helps if I give her a snack and let her listen while she is eating.

I got a version from Amazon that had 5 hardback volumes in a case--they are all in full color. Most pages had an illustration. (disclaimer: 2 of the 5 volumes that I got are poetry, which she doesn't like as much. 1 of the 5 volumes is not by AA Milne but is written in a very similar style) It was expensive, but I was able to get it used in like new condition.

My 5-year old and 3-year old like the Winnie the Pooh books. Some of the stories are a little long for the 3-year old--it helps if I give her a snack and let her listen while she is eating.

I got a version from Amazon that had 5 hardback volumes in a case--they are all in full color. Most pages had an illustration. (disclaimer: 2 of the 5 volumes that I got are poetry, which she doesn't like as much. 1 of the 5 volumes is not by AA Milne but is written in a very similar style) It was expensive, but I was able to get it used in like new condition.

My three year old loved Little Bo by Julie Andrews Edwards. It has chapters, beautiful pictures, is a series, is well written with nice use of language, but isn't a classic as far as I know.

There is a read aloud edition of Charlotte's Web, Stuart Little, and Alice in Wonderland if you feel your dc is ready for a little longer chapters with a bit less pictures. Charlotte's Web and Stuart Little have nice, detailed black and white drawings. The ISBN for The Original Illustrated Alice in Wonderland in color is 0-89009-256-7. I couldn't find it on amazon. We own all of these but after trying Charlotte's Web I decided to wait 6-12 months before trying these books again. She was interested at first, but just not ready for the longer chapters, continuing storyline, depth of the story, etc.

Thanks!

I put the WTP collection and Little Bo on my wish list. I didn't know Julie Andrews wrote children's books.! I also saw what looks to be a beautiful picture book by her, Simeon's Gift. I wish there were younger children's illustrated versions of the E.B. White books (not the cutesy ones put out when the movie came out.) I did see some beautiful picture books of Charlotte's Web that had the complete text of one chapter in each book. It looks like they were maybe? going to do a whole series to do the complete book. But alas, they only did the first two chapters :glare:. I would have bought the series for that.

I got a wonderful copy of Wizard of Oz illustrated by Michael Hague from my grandmother when I was little. I wish I could find a whole collection of different books like that.

I love the Wainscott Weasel by Tor Seidler. It's a little more recent, but it's a chapter book with lots of color illustrations.

We are in the middle of a large-print edition (but not the read-aloud) of Charlotte's Web, and we just finished the read-aloud Stuart Little. I actually have found that the simpler illustrations and few illustrations worked well for introducing my own children to longer books. I can sit and read while they come and go, or they can just sit while I read and not be as antsy to turn the page and see what the next picture is. It might be something to consider if you're having trouble finding what you're looking for.

We have a couple of classic books illustrated by Robert Ingpen

Here is a link to Alice in Wonderland:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/alices-adventures-in-wonderland-lewis-carroll/1100126321?ean=9781402768354&itm=4&usri=robert%252bingpen

I personally love his illustrations, and he has several classic books that I know of (Wind in the Willows, Treasure Island etc.)

These are probably too old for the ages you're wanting....but just for future reference. ;)

We have Pippi Longstocking - the version illustrated by Lauren Child. It is a perfect chapter book read aloud for young kids - silly and fun, classic, and tons of pictures.

I ADORE that version. Lauren Child rocks.

We really enjoyed the WW Denslow original illustrations for The Wizard of Oz. I liked how they spilled onto the pages and how you could see the original print color process.

On the other end of the spectrum, we also really enjoyed the Inga Moore illustrated version of The Secret Garden. Light, airy, beautiful pictures that made Mary look quite appropriately homely but expressive.

Those might be too much for a pre-K'er though. The book I like to recommend as a read aloud for pre-K is The Jamie and Angus Stories. It's nice a special fancy illustrated book, but there are lovely pencil drawings on nearly every page and it's a very sweet book.

I actually have found that the simpler illustrations and few illustrations worked well for introducing my own children to longer books. I can sit and read while they come and go, or they can just sit while I read and not be as antsy to turn the page and see what the next picture is. It might be something to consider if you're having trouble finding what you're looking for.

Thanks for the advice, right now the illustrations help to engage my ds, he often gets upset b/c I change the page too soon b/c he hasn't finished studying the picture. So I'm hoping longer texts will help. The other reason I would like to have lots of illustrations is that he will take the book on his own and "review" the story to himself by looking at the pics.

It's not big colorful illustrations, but My Father's Dragon has very charming black and white pictures on every page and was the first chapter book that my DS, now 5, cared for. He LOVED the pictures, and the story is both adventurous and sweet, perfect for little boys.

Thanks, its one my list.

The book I like to recommend as a read aloud for pre-K is The Jamie and Angus Stories. It's nice a special fancy illustrated book, but there are lovely pencil drawings on nearly every page and it's a very sweet book.

I'll take a look at it. My DS loves McCloskey books, so I'm sure the pencil drawings will be just fine.

Thanks for all your suggestions, having a few illustrator's names really helps in the search. I don't have a good bookstore nearby so I can't browse through books.

Do Frog and Toad and similar books count for this? Is that too simple?

I actually had a question about these books. I saw a Frog and Toad Treasury are these the same as the I Can Read Books. Or are the ICR books based on this series. If they are only the ICR books, I think I'd want to hold off on them until he can read them on his own...maybe?

We have a beautiful edition of all of Beatrix Potter's stories in one hardcover with the original illustrations in color - Beatrix Potter: The Complete Tales. My kids loved it.

I second Winnie the Pooh. You can find those in nice big color hardcover editions.

And anything by Arnold Lobel was always a hit in my house, some of those editions have big colorful illustrations.

• 2 months later...

I just finished reading The Wizard of Oz to my 3.5 yo, and she loved it. (Of course, she has a minor obsession with tornadoes, so that helped.)

We have quite a few Troll illustrated classics that we've picked up at the thrift store. The art is great. I don't know if you can still buy them new or not, but we love them.