Menu

I need to rehome 3 of my dogs. It's the right thing but .......

my heart *breaks* for my kids.

If you are local (Houston-ish) and know of anyone who wants any of the dogs below:

1 female black lab mix, 9 years old.

1 dauchund female, fixed, sweet, goofy.

1 black dauchund mix (daughter of the one above), fixed, and will kiss her family to death. She's 9 months old

........Please let me know. Pray that they get good homes, and that my kids will be ok.

She's posted many times before of her husband's very serious health problems and their financial difficulties.

:grouphug:, Joanne. It is very hard.

I've seen a bit but it's impossible to keep up with *everything* here. ;)

She just sounded so sad for her kids, so I wondered why do it.

Why are you giving them away then? :(

Shortest version I can think of:

We got foreclosed on last year, and accepted the rental home of a parent of a friend. We got in without a deposit (we are going to have it recarpeted when we move out). It is 30+ miles away from both places I work. It costs $1600 a month, and we signed the lease right before DH lost his job due to issues we've since discovered are related to his illness.

Ok, so his illness. His liver is failing. He is not covered medically, and we can not self pay. The county we live in does not have decent, or adequate indigent care. If we move, we get a reduction in rent, gas cost, and access to better health care.

Just before we moved here, a stray dog found us. My kids are magnets. ;) He (as my dd put it) "married" our dauschund. :lol: She had 5 puppies; he ran away with the grandma of the bunch when we moved here. We found homes for 3 of the puppies, and 2 have stayed. We had my DH's maltese (of which he has sole custody from a previous relationship :D), the daughter of the g'ma who ran away (the black lab), the weiner mom and her "babies". The mom and babies have since been fixed.

We've looked for homes near where I teach, that have access to the right medical services. No one will take us with 5 dogs.

We had to do the same thing last year for similar reasons. It was very difficult, but it's what we had to do. I found an organization (for us, it was a collie organization) that helps place your dog in a good home if there is an emergency situation, as was our case. They even came and picked up our dog. They have "foster families" lined up until a good, permanent home can be found. (And they do the finding.) I wonder if you could find an organization like that in your area?

Why are you giving them away then?

Shortest version I can think of:

We got foreclosed on last year, and accepted the rental home of a parent of a friend. We got in without a deposit (we are going to have it recarpeted when we move out). It is 30+ miles away from both places I work. It costs $1600 a month, and we signed the lease right before DH lost his job due to issues we've since discovered are related to his illness.

Ok, so his illness. His liver is failing. He is not covered medically, and we can not self pay. The county we live in does not have decent, or adequate indigent care. If we move, we get a reduction in rent, gas cost, and access to better health care.

Just before we moved here, a stray dog found us. My kids are magnets. ;) He (as my dd put it) "married" our dauschund. :lol: She had 5 puppies; he ran away with the grandma of the bunch when we moved here. We found homes for 3 of the puppies, and 2 have stayed. We had my DH's maltese (of which he has sole custody from a previous relationship :D), the daughter of the g'ma who ran away (the black lab), the weiner mom and her "babies". The mom and babies have since been fixed.

We've looked for homes near where I teach, that have access to the right medical services. No one will take us with 5 dogs.

(sorry - this thread got away on me..i wasn't ignoring!)

In a nutshell: that bites. :(

I'd rent to you guys ~ of course I'd have to be a landlord…and you'd have to be Canadian…which would kinda solve your health care problem and then you wouldn't need to rent a place with dog beds :p …