Menu

1st day of homeschooling

tracigirl

All the curriculum is ordered for my 2nd and 4th grade boys, Friday was their last day of school and tomorrow is our first day of HS. I am excited and nervous. I keep reading about taking it easy the first few weeks and adding things in slowly...is this really ok? I've heard that it is even a good thing to do so we can all adjust to the change. And as good as this sounds, I kind of feel like I am not doing my job if I take it too easy. Thoughts????

Yes have a wonderful time. Start slow, and add things to your day as your comfortable, most of all just enjoy being home with your kids. You will get to witness many lightbulbs go off. I love it when my 3rd grader makes connections and then shares them with me! I'd miss out on that if I sent him to school.

All the curriculum is ordered for my 2nd and 4th grade boys, Friday was their last day of school and tomorrow is our first day of HS. I am excited and nervous. I keep reading about taking it easy the first few weeks and adding things in slowly...is this really ok? I've heard that it is even a good thing to do so we can all adjust to the change. And as good as this sounds, I kind of feel like I am not doing my job if I take it too easy. Thoughts????

Your job is to help your dc be the best they can be, not do do school. This means that absolutely you need to allow time for them to adjust to being at home, with you, with their siblings, all day long. And it also means that it could easily take more than a few weeks for your dc to recover themselves. For some, it could easily mean that the dc weren't ready for serious academic studies until after Christmas. Really. :-)

We started homeschooling in April (afterschooling in the previous years). It took a few months to adjust. Definitely enjoy your time with the kids, start slow, and give yourself a grace period. I found my kids were happy to HS, but struggled with the different routine. We are doing much better now and enjoying our time together.

Ummm, don't shoot me but I'd go one step further and take some time off to "deschool". Hit some museums, visit the library, read together, play together, have fun! Start "school" after christmas. This way they can forget how much they hate school. You will not be behind for very long, HSer's learn so much so quickly you will be caught up by May.

I keep reading about taking it easy the first few weeks and adding things in slowly...is this really ok? I've heard that it is even a good thing to do so we can all adjust to the change. And as good as this sounds, I kind of feel like I am not doing my job if I take it too easy. Thoughts????

YES, YES, YES!!!! I completely ignored this advice my first year, and I paid for it. I tried it the second year, and I cannot believe how well it worked. In fact, it worked so well, that I decided to do it again this year, even though we were adding only one new curriculum. Now, I can't imagine trying to start everything on the first day. The reality is that you don't have to do everything every day or even every week. Even school teachers take it easy the first week.