Menu

Not having turkey for Thanksgiving....anyone else

We now have salmon for Thanksgiving because in our church we're in the Nativity fast by that point (during which we don't consume animal products, although local and church feast days can be special "fish days").

The Pilgrims and Indians probably had fish, no? :001_smile:

Yuck. I hate eating dead bird. :001_smile:

My 12 year old on the other hand thinks he is being deprived since I have only made him 2 turkeys in his young life.

I am going to make the smallest one I can find this year just for him. My daughter won't eat turkey either.

We always celebrate Thankgsiving at home a few days after the actual day. For the actual holiday we go to family.

Dh doesn't like turkey, and it seems like the rest of us can live without it. I make a pork loin. It is marinaded in lots of salt, olive oil, garlic, and basil then wrapped in bacon. We still do all the traditional sides with it even stuffing and cranberry relish. Everything seems to go so well with the flavor of the pork. It became our new family tradition.

We always celebrate Thankgsiving at home a few days after the actual day. For the actual holiday we go to family.

We do this too! Thanksgiving ends up with us spending a big chunk of the day in the car driving from family to family. Nice to see everyone, of course, but not my ideal. We have started having out own immediate family Thanksgiving a week or 2 before.

We've done roast chicken before--it's usually just the 5 of us and a turkey is too much food. The last 2 years we've done a turkey breast that I brine and then dh smokes on the grill. That's good stuff--we'll probably keep doing that. Even just a turkey breast usually gives us more leftovers than we care for.