Menu

Other books like I Hate Math? (irreverent, project-oriented, humorous)

Halcyon

My younger likes LOF, but is LOVING I Hate Math by Marilyn Burns. To be honest, I hadn't looked at it because I dislike the title so much, but after putting aside my reservations we checked it out of the library and it's chock-full of just the kind of hands-on math fun, "magic" math tricks and puzzles that younger likes.

Would love other recommendations along these lines. I know of Murderous Maths (and he would love the comic-book approach) and he enjoyed the Beast Academy sample we received (anyone know when this is coming out?) but looking for something that perhaps doesn't SEEM like math....:tongue_smilie:

She has another one pretty much just like it called Math for Smarty Pants.

Other than that, I don't know of anything exactly like it (so I'm all ears too), but there are lots of series of "Math Mysteries" out there of various quality. There's one I've seen called "One Minute Mysteries." It's basically just word problems with a little bit of story.

There's also a few books like Go Figure! from (I think) DK - which is a big glossy book that has things about the history of math, math tricks, famous mathematicians, and so forth.

Or there's the two Math Games from Around the World books by Claudia Zaslavsky. Though those are written for adults, not kids. And there's things like Family Math or Games for Math (for younger kids).

I avoided that one for a while because of the title too. Such an unfortunate title for a gem of a book! It sounds like you're mostly looking for math, but ds adores all the Brown Paper School Books which also get into science, history, word roots, problem solving/reasoning, etc. Math for Smarty Pants is the only other math-oriented one that I know of though. I think your son would really enjoy it!

I will list some that we have and enjoy. I'm including our favorites, (even if some aren't extremely similar to I Hate Mathematics) in case others out there find them to be just what they need. I have purchased many math books for DS8, who is naturally very good at math but stiffens at being taught. I find that throwing in lots of living books are perfect for my math sponge...even as we keep on keeping on with Singapore.

Real-World Math for Hands-On Fun

The Everything Kids' Math Puzzles Book

Go Figure!

How Math Works

Primary Grade Challenge Math

Her About Teaching Mathematics has lots of great info and wonderful hands-on activities.

Specifically purchased for this year, as they are appropriate to the ancient time period:

The Secret Life of Math (has lots of history of math, super easy to add to SOTW)

String, Straight-Edge, and Shadow: The Story of Geometry

The Wonderful World of Mathematics (ds8's personal favorite)

The Cryptoclub: Using Mathematics to Make and Break Secret Codes

ETA: Beast Academy 3rd grade is supposed to be out next summer. The site didn't mention a timeline for the other grades though.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Not all of these have problems or math magic tricks, and most are not quite what you initially asked about, but they are all fun and interesting and are about math. Hopefully these will be more fun supplements! Warm regards, Lori D.

BOOKS

Grades K-3

- The Dragon's Scales (Albee)

- Sir Cumfrence series (Neuschwander)

- Fly on the Ceiling (Glass)

- Ben Franklin's Magic Squares (Murphy)

- The King's Chessboard (Birch)

- One Grain of Rice (Demi)

- Greedy Triangle (Burns)

- Anno's Counting Book (Anno)

- Anno's Math Games (vol. 1, 2, 3) (Anno)

- Anno's Mysterious Multiplying Jar (Anno)

- Games for Math (Kaye)

Grades 3+

- A Remainder of One (Pinczes)

- One Hundred Hungry Ants (Pinczes)

- The Number Devil: A Mathematical Adventure (Enzensberger)

- Math Trek: Adventures in the Math Zone (Peterson)

- Math Trek 2: A Mathematical Space Odyssey (Peterson)

- The Man Who Counted: A Collection of Mathematical Adventures (Tahan)

- The Adventures of Penrose the Mathematical Cat (Pappas)

- G Is for Googol: A Math Alphabet Book (David)

- A Gebra Named Al: A Novel (Isdell)

- Math Curse by Jon Scieszka

Grades 5+

- The Phantom Tollbooth (Juster)

- Conned Again, Watson! Cautionary Tales of Logic, Math, and Probability by Colin Bruce

- Mathematicians Are People, Too: Stories from the Lives of Great Mathematicians (Reimer)

- Exploring the World of Mathematics (Tiner)

MATH GAMES

- Muggins: Knockout (adding)

- Sequence Dice (adding)

- card game 99 (adding and subtracting) (see rules at: http://www.pagat.com/adders/98.html)

- Monopoly, Life, Payday, Careers (money, place value, making change)

FUN MATH HANDS-ON

- MathART Projects and Activities (gr. 3-5) (Brunetto)

- Geomag (gr: Pre-K and up)

- 3-D Geometric Origami (Gurkewitz)

- Geofix, hands-on toy, from http://www.constructiontoys.com

MATH MANIPULATIVE BOOKS

Math Activities with Manipulatives (most are available at http://www.rainbowresource.com)

- Math Discoveries series

(Attribute Blocks -- gr. 1-3; Dominoes -- gr. 1-3; Pattern Blocks -- gr. K-1; gr. 2-3; Geoboards -- gr. 1-3; Tangrams -- gr. 1-3)

- Pattern Block Task Cards (gr. 1-3)

- Exploring with Pattern Blocks (gr. 4-8)

- Challenge Math

- Intermediate Idea Book for Cuisenaire Rods (gr. 3-5)

- Picture Puzzles with Cuisenaire Rods (gr. 1-8)

- Everything's Coming Up Fractions (cuisenaire rods) (gr. 3-6)

- From Here to There with Cuisenaire Rods (gr. 1-8)

- Geometry & Fractions with Geoboards Activity Book (gr. 3-6)

- Dot Paper Geometry with or without Geoboards (gr. 3-8)

- Math Skills with Linking Base 10 Activity Book (gr. 1-4)

- Base 10 Block Activity Book (gr. 1-6)

- Math Activities for Homeschooling with Unifix Cubes (gr. K-5)

- Wonder Number Game (25 games with a 100 Number Chart) (gr. K-8)

Edited by Lori D.

A lot of the books being named now are more like story books... which I also love. I just think of the I Hate Mathematics book as being something else... sort of like a children's pop nonfiction style book about math.

But if we get more into stories, yes, definitely Mitsimaso Anno, The Number Devil, all those books from Charlesbridge Publishing...

Funny you should ask this -- I was just looking through my box of math and science books and found my own copy of The I Hate Mathematics Book, copyright 1975. How I loved that book!

I also have three others by Marilyn Burns, all put out by the same publisher -- Brown Paper School Book -- and all with copyrights in the 1970s:

This Book is About Time

The Book of Think (Or How to Solve a Problem Half Your Size)

Good For me: All About Food in 32 Bites.

No idea which of these are still in print, but they're all quite tattered so I must have gotten a lot of use out of them. I plan to read them through to see if they'd be good for my oldest. (I might need to put book covers or something on them first, though.)

My younger likes LOF, but is LOVING I Hate Math by Marilyn Burns. To be honest, I hadn't looked at it because I dislike the title so much, but after putting aside my reservations we checked it out of the library and it's chock-full of just the kind of hands-on math fun, "magic" math tricks and puzzles that younger likes.

Would love other recommendations along these lines. I know of Murderous Maths (and he would love the comic-book approach) and he enjoyed the Beast Academy sample we received (anyone know when this is coming out?) but looking for something that perhaps doesn't SEEM like math....:tongue_smilie:

Try the Family Math series of books.

A lot of the books being named now are more like story books... which I also love. I just think of the I Hate Mathematics book as being something else... sort of like a children's pop nonfiction style book about math.

But if we get more into stories, yes, definitely Mitsimaso Anno, The Number Devil, all those books from Charlesbridge Publishing...

I so appreciate all these suggestions, and I absolutely will be getting a few of them :) I also agree with farrarwilliams, however. There is something distinct about I Hate Math-the cartoons, the joke-y approach, the tomfoolery, the "magic' of seeming smarter than your older brother :tongue_smilie: I am going to also order her Math for Smarty Pants, which I have a feeling will be much loved.

Funny you should ask this -- I was just looking through my box of math and science books and found my own copy of The I Hate Mathematics Book, copyright 1975. How I loved that book!

I also have three others by Marilyn Burns, all put out by the same publisher -- Brown Paper School Book -- and all with copyrights in the 1970s:

This Book is About Time

The Book of Think (Or How to Solve a Problem Half Your Size)

Good For me: All About Food in 32 Bites.

No idea which of these are still in print, but they're all quite tattered so I must have gotten a lot of use out of them. I plan to read them through to see if they'd be good for my oldest. (I might need to put book covers or something on them first, though.)

I just bought the book of Think, I Hate Math and Math for Smarty Pants--yay! My library has the Book of Blood and Guts: Working Guide to your own insides (also a Brown Paper School book) so we'll get that out tomorrow.

Love these books because my younger likes to do math independently, and these have lots of independent, easy to do math projects.

Any book you can find by Marilyn Burns is usually worth reading.

Thanks! I just reserved all her books at our library.

I have emailed Ray at Horrible Books regarding Murderous Maths.

Which book would be a good starting point? Here is an email I received today. Are these good prices from Ray?

---------------------

There are 13 Murderous Maths Books at 20%-Off for $104.83, including Free Shipping and No Sales Tax.

If/when you're ready, you can email your mailing address, and pay via check upon receipt/satisfaction.

Also, there's a Fractions Book (Mean and Vulgar Bits) that should be available in Early-December if you want to wait.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks, and all the best,

Ray

I received one Murderous Maths today that I ordered on Amazon (we got Numbers: The Key to the Universe) and it looks very fun. I think DS and I will go through it together, as he likes a "team mate" when solving these puzzles.

On another note, we got Think (same author as I Hate Math) and it's great. So is Smarty Pants. Thank you for recommending.

• 4 weeks later...