Menu

Let it be a phase or dictate free reading books?

SunshineMom

I am a little concerned. My dd8 has been for the last few months choosing to read junky type books. She used to read books of value (classical children's literature) but now I find her reading Garfield books, Nancy Drew series and magazines. She still pulls in tons of nonfiction books on animals (some very technical) but she's not really into a book right now, besides an assigned biography which she only reads during school time. Should I worry or just count this as a phase? Can I really dictate her free reading?

If it were me, I'd let her read what she wants. My 6yo spent the summer and September reading Calvin and Hobbes collections, American Girls, and A to Z Mysteries, where previously she'd been tackling more classic, and more difficult, books. I let it go.

After a while I pulled a book from the shelf and gave her a 30-second "commercial" for it, and she read it. Then she read another book I recommended. Now she's continuing to mix some more demanding books in with the easy series books, and I'm thinking about what book I should try to hand-sell to her next.

I think it's unrealistic to expect that a child who likes to read will only read improving classics. It may be realistic to try to guide her away from formulaic, poorly written series books to better-quality writing, but if that's important to you I recommend making sure that the better-quality books you're steering her towards include modern books and books which are light in tone. Expecting kids to only read the famous children's classics is like expecting someone to limit their movie choices to the black-and-white era.

Edited by Rivka

I remember going through a phase where I read a lot of Sweet Valley High books. I think they served a need - they were kind of a look at how popular culture treats certain subjects - not that I thought of it that way, but that was something I was trying to work out at the time.

But I realized pretty soon how bad they were, and they became less interesting to me.

But most people read some less serious stuff. I like Agatha Christie, who is fun but not really deep, yk?

Mine went through this. I didn't dictate free reading- but we do have boundaries on acceptable books. I also banned Captain Underpants because I was sick of it. It was a phase for us, and we calmly talked about how it was fun to read some silly or fluffy reading once in a while. My older ones occasionally drift back, but very briefly. Sometimes I leave a book that I want them to read sitting out, or read a chapter aloud- just for fun and most of the time they will pick it up and keep reading. I had a friend who battled with it and it ended up being a power struggle.

I wouldn't worry about it. It is probably just a phase. I would make sure to leave some quality literature around where she might pick it up and read it on her own.

If it's really bothering you, maybe you could pick a book to read with her. I am reading a book with my dd right now. She reads a chapter aloud and then I read one. We aren't doing it for school, just to spend time together. Maybe enjoying a classic with you will revive your dd's interest in them.

My son likes to read Garfield, Calvin & Hobbes, and other cartoon stuff he found on DH's shelf. I'm totally fine with it. He *also* reads other stuff that I have selected. For outside-of-school time, he can read whatever he finds in the house (note that we don't have any Captain Underpants ;)). When we go to the library, I get a variety of books. We often come home with a Star Wars book or two. I have no problem with that. He's interested in Star Wars, and that interest causes him to read read read. :) Star Wars is what built his stamina to allow him to even read chapter books in the first place! He used that stamina this summer to read through the entire SOTW series, so he hasn't limited himself to "twaddle". :)

For school, I do assign "literature" to be read daily - usually 1-3 chapters from a good book I've chosen. I purchased several at the beginning of the school year. They have varying reading levels, so it's not all "hard". They are all books that I thought would interest him (Charlotte's Web didn't interest him last year, but Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was a big hit this year). He also has a reading time separate from this where he is to read from the "book basket", which is a basket of library books. I will usually exclude Star Wars from the books to be read during this time. That way he's limited to good history, science, etc. I do throw in some fun books too, like Amelia Bedelia (well below his reading level, but definitely age-appropriate... he IS still a 7 year old).

I would expect a young child reading well-above-her-age books to ALSO read some fluffy stuff. If you've been reading something difficult, wouldn't you like to sit down with something fluffy to let your brain rest a bit? Plus I know when I was a child, even though I could read classics and did read them in school (and enjoyed some of them), I still also read Babysitter's Club, Saddle Club, Black Stallion, and other series. They were fun stories. No, the writing wasn't anything profound, and the story line wasn't that deep. I wasn't looking to analyze the books. I was looking for a basic story. Likewise, I watch TV sometimes, not because I want a Shakespeare play quality thing, but because I want my brain to not have to think too hard during entertainment sometimes.

Now if ALL your child wanted to read was fluff and she wasn't willing to even look at a non-fluff book even for school time, then I might be more concerned. I'm not that concerned about her choosing fluff during free reading.

Thanks ladies.....I will consider it a phase but will make a trip to the library with her tomorrow. I do think it is a little odd however that in one hand she is reading fluffy junk and in the other, adult nonfiction (sometimes back to back).

Maybe she is reading fluff, *because* she is also reading adult nonfiction?

If she stretches herself (in a good way) with the nonfiction, she might feel the need for some fluff afterwards?

Your thread caught my eye, because I'm having a similar situation with my just-turned-8yo dd. She learned to read very easily, jumping quikcly through levels. Before the summer holidays, I was expecting another (big) jump, she was clearly getting bored. And then.....nothing....even worse (that is...worse for *my* nerves :lol:), it's like she is regressing into easier and easier fluff type books :001_huh:.

I'm also considering it a phase and I have started some more difficult read alouds. But other than that....I have no idea. It feels weird. I'm just hoping it will be one of those things that freak you out because it's your oldest child and we will be able to laugh about it next year.:grouphug:

Dictate what you want read for school and let her choose her own readings when it comes to her free time (within reason, of course, i.e. your age-appropriate standards).

Remember, they HAVE to read a lot of junk to learn to tell quality literature from junk. It is an essential part of informal education. Also, by turning it into forbidden fruit, you are only likely to appetize her more. Let her read what she wants, but make sure her school readings are proper. In my experience, all kids go through junk phases in their readings, not only at that age but also older. It is a normal part of growing up. :)

Library day, my dd8's backpack, along with both arms were full of adult nonfiction (all on cat health, herbs for animal health, veterinary practices)! She did pick up an audio book from the children's section but no comic books. I never said she couldn't have comic books, I guess she is in another phase.

I do think it is a little odd however that in one hand she is reading fluffy junk and in the other, adult nonfiction (sometimes back to back).

Same thing here with dd7, who has been doing this for quite some time now. I have to keep reminding myself that she is still so young and that imposing too many restrictions will completely turn her off to any kind of reading/learning (especially this child). At times I take for granted that she can read classic literature and adult biographies. Then I am turned completely upside down when she becomes engrossed by the Mallory series (as she is currently). What the?? I have worried about her regressing, but as a pp mentioned, I also think her brain needs time to read fluff. I come to akin this on/off cycle to exercise; her brain needs a rest period (fluff reading) after the mental workout of reading accelerated material. Because the perceived abnormal is frequently the accepted normal with my child, I have been known to freak out when she does something perfectly developmentally appropriate. Sometimes, all she wants to do is sit on her momma's lap and be read to. Or, spend the day reading out loud to me, from a book about the elements in the Periodic Table. :lol:

And dh has to wonder why I am frequently passed out on the sofa at 9:00 p.m. Most nights!! :lol::lol::lol:

Starting in 3rd grade I started assigning about 20 - 30 pages of reading from an assigned book per day. And much of the time I'd allow him to chose from several books or it would be for book club (they do quite a few Newberry winners and authors). That really is typically done in the blink of an eye for him and then he reads whatever he wants.

My 7 year old still definitely at the "if her nose is in a book I'm happy" phase. She's reading Harry Potter with my husband now and they're in the 4th book. She reads 2 pages aloud a day of that and that's all assign for her for reading (she tests well above grade level).

My older reads at least 1+ hour a day. My younger is probably approaching an hour many days too.

Dictate what you want read for school and let her choose her own readings when it comes to her free time (within reason, of course, i.e. your age-appropriate standards).

Remember, they HAVE to read a lot of junk to learn to tell quality literature from junk. It is an essential part of informal education. Also, by turning it into forbidden fruit, you are only likely to appetize her more. Let her read what she wants, but make sure her school readings are proper. In my experience, all kids go through junk phases in their readings, not only at that age but also older. It is a normal part of growing up. :)

:iagree:I assign some things, but let the dc choose a lot of their own reading, and not all of it is great stuff. As much as I want them to experience and enjoy classic literature, I also want them to see reading as a favorite form of entertainment.